What is absolutely the most twisted, terrifying, genuinely unsettling movie you've ever seen?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Salo is the most perverse and disgusting movie I havce ever seen. It has children eating their own feces, for example..... :Q

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Well guys, this thread reminded me of Eraserhead. I'd seen it on Netflix. So I rented it.

Ugh, well it takes the cake for most twisted, disgusting, depressing movie I've ever seen. I wish I could get these images out of my mind.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
Oldboy.

Seriously, give it a try.

LOL, I rented that online about a week ago and made my roommate watch it. That was some seriously weird stuff.

I liked the long fight scene where he took the hammer and beat all the asian thugs with it in the hallway, over and over, and then the elevator door opened, and there were more of them! Then they cut to the scene where the door opens again, and they all fall out and he walks over them out of the elevator.

Great kung-hammer-fu!

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Special K
I didn't like Old Boy, but I watched a dubbed version and the voice acting was terrible. Maybe I'll try to watch the subtitled version sometime.

I cant imagine watching Old Boy with subtitles. You would spend more time reading all his long monologues than taking in the movie as it was intended. That is generally the problem with all subtitled movies versus dubbed, too. I also thought most the voice acting on the dubbed version was actually very good and compelling. And if you did not notice, a lot of times it looked like the actors were often actually speaking in english, and the person doing the over dubbing must not have spoken good english, because it usually did not match up properly.

And I also think the guy doing the voice work was the same guy who did another good flick that fits this same category called Immortal. He sounds like the lead role of Alcide Nikopol in that movie, an actor named Thomas Kretschmann. I do not have a copy of Old Boy to check this, and looked up the movie, and it does not list him in the credits. However, I recognized the voice work almost immediately after it started. It certainly sounds like him. I think he did an excellent voice over job, but, in fairness to the film, it does not really sound like you would expect him to talk in Old Boy.

And I left Gummo on my DVR when IFC showed it, just to mess with anyones mind who drops by along with Immortal...

And I rented Tideland a few days ago. Terry Gilliam movies are all visually stunning movies and highly recommended. But this one had some truly weirded out stuff in it. I do not want to give you any spoilers on it, but trust me, it is WAY out there in bizzare ville. Kind of in the same wacky vein as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: MrChad
Some of the scenes in Event Horizon were pretty disturbing.

oh yeah one of my favorite movies, def disturbing hmm i think of them talking about hell and barbed wire wrapped all around that chicks body arggg

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Originally posted by: evident
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Visitor Q.
Directed by Takashi Miike. Really, REALLY fucked up... but strangely funny.

ever watch audition, or fudoh? also by the same director. both VERY unsettling but like you said, strangely funny!

And don't forget Ichi the Killer and Gozu. Friggin awesome movies, very wierd.....
Deadly Outlaw Rekka was pretty badass too.

I wasn't so big a fan of the Dead or Alive movies, though part 1 was certainly worth watching.
Also, Izo was really strange, and kinda stupid, but I still enjoyed it.

That said, of all the movies I've ever seen, I think Visitor Q is probably the strangest and most fvcked up.

There were some scenes in Requiem For a Dream that were more disturbing to me.

Also, the movie "flower of flesh and blood" is far more gore filled and brutal than anything else I'd ever seen. It was pretty bad. I usually love movies with a little bit of violence, but this was just disgusting. There was no story or plot.

Also, the people who mention Oldboy are recommending an awesome piece of film. It is indeed extremely unsettling.

Overall, I'm gonna say GOZU is far more artful than plotful. It's very weird. It's not overly violent. I could only compare it to a very weird, 2 hour nightmare.
I watched audition, one of the worst movies I have ever seen...I mean wow it was so so bad and ridiculous. The worst part being that it was all imaginary or a fantasy, none of it real and just some bullcrap in their imagination. Dont even bother.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Lalakai
The Serpent and the Rainbow.

Midnight Express

I didn't think The Serpent and the Rainbow was very twisted, disturbing, etc. at all. Just my $0.02. All of my recommendations have already been mentioned.

Oct 25, 2006
I just thought of Another One.

End of Evangelion.

Not Scary
No Terrifying

Just VERY twisted and makes you want to strangle the nearest living thing.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
I watched the Cell last night, per this thread...Not scary, just really trippy. Whoever came up with all of that was a sick person!

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
faces of death IV was pretty fvkced up, kept me awake for a while. and I DO NOT recommend it, but since you asked for some seriously f'd up sick shit, then you got it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Hills Have Eyes is one f'ed up movie and has some very unsettling scenes in it.