What is a reasonable price for a transmission drain and fill

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by overst33r, May 16, 2006.

1. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

2000 corolla, I will be changing my oil this weekend (thanks for the help), now Im also looking to do a tranny drain and refill. Whats a good price, i dont dont want to get ripped off...last time i was at a service center they said it was $70, manual cars should be cheaper than automatics rite?

2. DainBramaged

DainBramaged Lifer

$5 for the tranny fluid.

DIY ftw.

BTW: Manual's are not going to be any cheaper.

3. compnovice

compnovice Diamond Member

$20-30 I believe....

4. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Nope, gear oil is much more expensive than ATF. Something like $4./pt, compared to $2/ qt. You can probably do the job yourself much cheaper, IF you have the tools and so on. (don't know exact prices, just giving a rough estimate)

5. iamwiz82

iamwiz82 Lifer

Depends on if you car has a drain plug, and an easy access fill plug.

6. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

are there any well known places that have a price like that?

7. Sukhoi

Sukhoi Elite Member

My dad has known a Toyota mechanic for years, and the guy does great work for us for real cheap on the side. I have a 1995 Corolla and was planning on changing my ATF fluid and filter this summer. The mechanic said he would highly recommend bringing the car into his dealer so he can use this flushing machine they have to completely clean out the transmission. It's gonna be like $100 but he said it's well worth it because it cleans the transmission much better than just doing a drain, filter change, and refill. I'm not sure if it'd be different with a manual trans.

8. Ramma2

Ramma2 Platinum Member

Drop the pan if possible. I've heard of lots of people getting a tranny flush, then the trans failing because the flush mixed up all the metal bits and sediment that sits on the bottom of the pan and sticks it where it shouldn't go.

9. TitanDiddly

TitanDiddly Guest

Yes, drop the pan.

10. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

You folks are getting automatic and manual confused. I've never seen a manual transmission that had any pan you could drop. Automatic, yes, and dropping the pan and changing the filter is good maintenance, but it doesn't apply with a manual....no pan, no filters...

11. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

what fluid should i use? 2000 corolla

12. Sukhoi

Sukhoi Elite Member

It says on the dipstick.

BTW as stupid as it sounds don't always trust what the dealer tells you. I called a dealer at school here to check the fluid type and amount I needed, and after confirming with someone else I found that the dealer here was completely wrong on both the fluid type and amount.

13. RCN

RCN Platinum Member

Redline MTF
    2 quarts

or 75-90w gear oil

14. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Your owners manual should tell you what to use. RedLine is actually one of the lesser quality synthetic oils in testing. Mobil1 or Amsoil are MUCH better, but depending on the car, and it's mileage, may not be worth the added expense. A 2000 corolla should probably use something like 75w90, (again, check the manual or dealer) and dino oil is probably sufficient unless the car is driven in extreme conditions. Personally, I'd stick with whatever the shop uses rather than go to the added expense of synthetic...

Sukhoi, there is NO dipstick on a manual transmission...only automatics...

15. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

the manual recommends 75w90 1.9 quarts...so 2 bottles should be enough. GL4 or 5, what does that mean?

I guess I will just stop by advance auto parts tomoro and pick up two bottles of 75w90.

16. Minjin

Minjin Platinum Member

Some manual transmissions have dipsticks.

Mark

17. Nutdotnet

Nutdotnet Diamond Member

Probably around $50-60....but it would be cheaper and better to DIY...can't be that hard on a Carolla.

18. RCN

RCN Platinum Member

and what exactly do you base this statement on?

19. zephyrprime

zephyrprime Diamond Member

$70 is a decent price. You can do it yourself but you will not be changing out all the oil on it without a flushing machine.

20. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

do they use those on manual cars? i though it was just drain and fill...or is there build up on the walls?

I just double checked the price at teh shop and it turns out its $80, i reckon i could save an easy $50

21. jlee

jlee Lifer

It cost me about 12 bucks for synthetic (Castrol maybe?) for my MR2 - you should save a bit more than $50. :)

22. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Lifer

For a tranny drain make sure you tell them you don't want a flush, you just want it drained and refilled. Sometiems they just assume everyone wants it flushed out and that costs more.

23. overst33r

overst33r Diamond Member

thats teh thing...i thought only auto trannys need flushing...and manuals just need drain/fill

24. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Only finding testing on the motor oils, (and so far, mostly on Amsoil sites) but:
    http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/redline.htm
    http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/dyno_test.htm
    http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html
    http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/redline-vs-amsoil.php
    http://www.searchforparts.com/important_articles/amsoil_vs_redline.html
    http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Redline_test.html

IMO, Red-line is an ok oil, and is probably better than the dino equivalent, but I'd still go with Ansoil or Mobil 1 if I if I was going to change to synthetic.

25. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Manual transmission...drain & refill. Most likely, 2 plugs to remove. BTW, ALWAYS remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug, just in case...it sux to have the compartment drained, and no way to refill it...
    You want the oil warm to hot, so it carries out any contaminants when it drains. Replace the drain plug, and carefully fil till the oil starts to come out the fill hole. IME, wait a while, because often, it will take a few minutes to work it's way into all the nooks and crannies in the gearbox, and your lwvel will drop slightly...top it off if needed, replace the fill plug, and tighten both plugs to the recommended torque value if appropriate.