What is a reasonable amount of time that it should take someone to find a job?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Any types of job with low pay and little benefits if any? a day or two. Jobs with benefits and decent pays, then it will be months.

OP, some of the previous posters gave good suggestions. I think your wife needs to go to the local unemployment office. They have some decents job leads and give priority to unemployed people that want to work

Also check out local government/city/county/etc government entities for jobs. They are always hiring <at least around here>.

From the OP's posts, I think the wife is having issues with burnout/motivation/desire to work than finding a job.

Edit: Don't forget the local newspaper, especially on Sundays. Ask around, church, friends, neighbors, anyone. Looking for a job is a job itself.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: coolred
My problem is is that she is pretty much relying solely on internet job sites. I managed to get her to go out and put in a few applications for the first few days after she lost her last job, but that has pretty much ceased. Any time I bring it up now, it starts a fight and I am tired of fighting. The problem is we just did our taxes and we are getting a decent amount back, and I think she thinks we will be fine since we have that to live off, but we really need to that to pay off other debt.
Is there some other root cause keeping her from working? I'm not trying to make assumptions or anything, but many times it's because they don't want to work retail, they feel that it'll show them off as being lower than their friends or something.

You need to find out exactly why she doesn't want to work, IMO.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
My problem is is that she is pretty much relying solely on internet job sites. I managed to get her to go out and put in a few applications for the first few days after she lost her last job, but that has pretty much ceased. Any time I bring it up now, it starts a fight and I am tired of fighting. The problem is we just did our taxes and we are getting a decent amount back, and I think she thinks we will be fine since we have that to live off, but we really need to that to pay off other debt.
Is there some other root cause keeping her from working? I'm not trying to make assumptions or anything, but many times it's because they don't want to work retail, they feel that it'll show them off as being lower than their friends or something.

You need to find out exactly why she doesn't want to work, IMO.

I know that she doesn't want to work at a fast food place, but I don't know the reason exactly. And also Adecco is usually hiring for the honda plant in ohio. Crazy good money and benefits, but its about 45-60 minutes each way, so I know she doesn't want to do that kind of a driver either. Other then that she says she is open for anything.

She is in with at least one temp agency that I know of, maybe more. She has only been with the one I know of for a around a week, so maybe they will find her something.

Like I said shortly after she lost her job I did get her to drive around and just put in apps. at any place hiring, but she pretty much only searched a 5 mile radius around where we live. She also doesn't have the greatest work history. That I can remember this is the 3 time she has been unemployed. One time was not her fault, this current time the job was seasonal(although I still think she got fired for attendance or some other reason, she was working for buckeye corner, a big OSU buckeyes apparel store, and they let her go like a week before the BCS championship game).

She has on occasion blamed our money issues on me, because when I went from my part job to a full time job I bought her a new Honda CRV, which we could afford when we were both working. I do now regret buying it for her as she has been in 2 accidents, one her fault, one not, but we had to pay the deductible and rental car fees, since even on the not her fault one, the guy didn't have insurance.

I don't mean to sound like I hate her, I don't. But she is irritating me. Like I said, we are getting back like 2500 in taxes, so we will survive for a few months on that, but we also have a lot of debt that that needs to be used on. Which again I can't place all the blame on here, I do buy a lot of stuff and have ran up a decent chunk of credit card debt. But I can afford my bills. She also has some credit card debt. Some of hers and some of mine are from previous times when she was unemployed and we had to pay bills with credit. There is also a lot of medical bills on there too.

But my thing is, I know we are in debt, both her fault and mine. But as long as we have jobs we can afford it. I don't know

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
BTW, I wouldn't push for the Honda line job unless she is going to do it long term. It's not easy stuff at all. You HAVE to be there on time, get minimal breaks, are working nonstop the rest of the time, etc.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I would hope that it would be long term. I am tired of this crap. I think in the 7 years that we have known each other, the longest she has been at any one job is 2 years.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Ok then yes it would be good for someone looking for a job to stick with for a while. Good pay, benefits, decent job security, etc. Sure you aren't going to feel like a genius on the job, but if she hasn't felt like doing anything else...

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
I quit my old job in Sept. Started looking for a job in Nov. I started my new job on Feb 5. Too bad this new job only lasts till May, but it should lead to bigger and better opportunities in the future, including ones in the same company.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
hah... if she has nothing past a high school diploma tell her to save Monster the bandwidth because she isn't going to find crap on there.

She needs to go door to door and find a job. If she doesn't like McDonald's, then she sure as hell better think of something fast.

In a city, a person can find a non-professional level job only as fast as they want to.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury
hah... if she has nothing past a high school diploma tell her to save Monster the bandwidth because she isn't going to find crap on there.

You're full of it. There are jobs out there that don't require anything past a high school diploma. No, they aren't as frequent as those that do, but there definitely are quite a few on Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
took me 2 months on unemployment to get a job that paid 40% more, similar situation, but I have skills and relevant work experience.

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Yeah I agree with the mcdonalds, but apparently thats not good enough. Ultimately 9.00+ would be ideal. But right now anything is better then nothing
Go fill out an application at a temp agency. They can find work for most people within an hour.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
the way its going, I am pretty sure I am just going to have to quit school and get another job myself.

wouldn't it be a bit problematic postponing your long term career goals for this short term hiccup in cash flow? also, it wouldn't solve the long term problem, which is your partner's lack of maturity and refusal to deal with money and work issues like an adult. also, it seems like you have enabled her to remain a perpetual teenager (no responsibility) by buying her a car and the fact she still has a credit card but no job. there were some fascinating Dr Phil episodes a while back, dealing with situations where one partner in a marriage was e.g., spending money like crazy or refusing to get a job, leading to major stress in the relationship.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
So Wednesday of last week she got a job through a temp agency. Working for DHL, picking nursing uniforms and other stuff like that(didn't know DHL did that) so she worked 3 days last week and monday of this week. Tuesday rolls around and I called her while I was at work and says she doesn't feel good, is dizzy and almost fell down the stairs. Does she call her mom to take her to the ER or doctor, no, but needless to say shes not going to work.

I love her to death, but this getting nuts. out of 5 days, she has already missed one. Wonder how long before they let her go?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I've never understood why the poor gravitate towards big cities. The standard of living is so much higher that you end up making it impossible to climb out of your hole. You can get a job in the suburbs or even in rural areas without having a car and pay much less for living space and basic necessities.

you can?? doing what?
good luck. i live in a rural area and the only jobs near by are ****** low paying jobs.

also, how does one traverse rural areas without a car? we don't have taxis, buses or subways and its not like a city where you can easily walk to just about everything.

sometimes i wonder what world some of you live in.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I once dated someone who had mental issues when it came to work. She would have panic attacks that would ultimately resemble self-fulfilling prophecies (i.e. panic because of the panic maybe leading to job troubles). She seems to have a somewhat steady job now as a TTY operator.

Is she on unemployment? Not sure how that works for married couples.

What does she do while not working? Does she do anything to obtain any sort of skill set?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
So Wednesday of last week she got a job through a temp agency. Working for DHL, picking nursing uniforms and other stuff like that(didn't know DHL did that) so she worked 3 days last week and monday of this week. Tuesday rolls around and I called her while I was at work and says she doesn't feel good, is dizzy and almost fell down the stairs. Does she call her mom to take her to the ER or doctor, no, but needless to say shes not going to work.

I love her to death, but this getting nuts. out of 5 days, she has already missed one. Wonder how long before they let her go?

Probably on the 2nd or 3rd day unless
1) she's a reliable and productive employee and 2) has a signed Dr. note.