What is a quick and feasible way to bring some venison on a flight?

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
My sister is flying in to see me Sunday and my parents have quite a lot of venison in the freezer from hunting. I want her to bring me some. Is there an easy way to do this? Dry ice? If it is too much a hassle I'll just forget it, but has anyone done something like this.

BTW, It's about a 3 hour flight.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
3 hours, gel packs in a soft cooler should be fine as long as the meat is frozen when she packs it, she will have to check it though because of the retarded liquid rules.

EDIT: For reference, I travel from SEATAC to JFK with salmon and halibut on gel-ice (not fully frozen) in a cooler during the summer, checked, no problem.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
3 hours, gel packs in a soft cooler should be fine as long as the meat is frozen when she packs it, she will have to check it though because of the retarded liquid rules.

Thanks. Will they let people check small coolers? If so, any advice on how she should seal it closed so it doesn't open?

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Jhill

Thanks. Will they let people check small coolers? If so, any advice on how she should seal it closed so it doesn't open?

Gorilla Tape? EDIT: like duct tape on steroids

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Jhill

Now that they can open checked baggage, your best bet is to use a soft cooler with a zipper.

I would advise making sure all the venison is vacuum sealed (and if it isn't, buy your dad a vacuum sealer for a christmas gift, it's a sportsman's best friend), use gel packs for cooling (you're not allowed to use regular ice) and surround everything in a towel or two to absorb condensation.

I've travelled with a duct-tape sealed cooler full of fish, but it was a gamble as if TSA opens it, the throwers are sure to crack it open just to fuck you over.

Also, you could also use straps/bungie cords with a hard cooler, but I still think the soft cooler is the way to go.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I work for the TSA at O'Hare and just today a passenger brought through a cooler with sausage and bacon on ice packs. It's perfectly fine, there's no way they should say anything about it. If you want to be extra safe just pull the cooler out and tell them about it. As for what to keep it cool with, use ice packs. Regular ice is just too messy and doesn't stay frozen all that long (aside from becoming liquid quickly).

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: paulney
Why is everything alternator-sized?

Everyone knows that in order for something to be considered bulk in quantity, it must be alternator sized... preferably alternator shaped also. Come on, get with it!

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: paulney
Why is everything alternator-sized?

Everyone knows that in order for something to be considered bulk in quantity, it must be alternator sized... preferably alternator shaped also. Come on, get with it!

or alternatively.... battery sized.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: MDE
I work for the TSA at O'Hare and just today a passenger brought through a cooler with sausage and bacon on ice packs. It's perfectly fine, there's no way they should say anything about it. If you want to be extra safe just pull the cooler out and tell them about it. As for what to keep it cool with, use ice packs. Regular ice is just too messy and doesn't stay frozen all that long (aside from becoming liquid quickly).
I'd say I was surprised that you guys let that guy on the plane with that carryon because those gelpacks generally have more than 3oz of deadly, dangerous GEL in them, but you work for the TSA, so I'm not surprised at all that rules aren't uniformly enforced, nor do the employees even know what the rules are at any given time. Not blaming you personally, of course, it's the nature of the agency.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Just have them put it in the belly of the plane with all the other luggage. Gets pretty cold down there no? If you pull it out of the freezer before going to the airport and it is a 3 hours flight, it will probably remain pretty solid esp. if wrapped in tin foil, and I am talking about the deer meat, not yer man meat before anyone gets too dirty here.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
There's wiggle room in the rules to use common sense (not that most of us have it, because someone had me check the bag). I can tell there's cold cold packs and frozen meat in the bag, it's fine by me. It also helps to have a "reasonable amount" with you. If the OP's sister is checking less than two bags I'd suggest just checking the meat too.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
There's wiggle room in the rules to use common sense (not that most of us have it, because someone had me check the bag). I can tell there's cold cold packs and frozen meat in the bag, it's fine by me. It also helps to have a "reasonable amount" with you. If the OP's sister is checking less than two bags I'd suggest just checking the meat too.
Thank goodness you haven't reached the level of brainwash I've seen most TSA employees achieve. ;) :thumbsup:

Still bitter about TSA at DIA taking an expensive container of hair product last month. The container was 3.2oz, but was only 1/3 full. Try to figure the logic in THAT one.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Thank goodness you haven't reached the level of brainwash I've seen most TSA employees achieve. ;) :thumbsup:

Still bitter about TSA at DIA taking an expensive container of hair product last month. The container was 3.2oz, but was only 1/3 full. Try to figure the logic in THAT one.
We've got to go by the size of the container, but the limit is 100mL\3.4 oz. They shouldn't have had you leave it behind.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

We've got to go by the size of the container, but the limit is 100mL\3.4 oz. They shouldn't have had you leave it behind.
I know...I don't argue though, you guys have those rubber gloves for a reason, and I don't want to find out why. :p

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I know...I don't argue though, you guys have those rubber gloves for a reason, and I don't want to find out why. :p
Nah, we leave the cavity searches to the cops. We don't get paid enough for those :p.