what is a "middle-market investment banking"??

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
I am applying for an internship, and one of the questions ask why I want to get into the middle-market
investment-banking field.

What is the middle market? can anyone explain?

Thanks

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
it basically just means they target smaller companes (less than 500mm in "value"). This is sort of the opposite of the big "bulge bracket" firms like a GS, MS, UBS, etc.

But sort of like in your other thread... if you can't answer this question yourself, maybe it is a good sign that you don't really want to get into this field?

I'm not saying it is a bad job; but I see a lot of people who think they want to be ibankers but really have no clue what that means.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Hector13
it basically just means they target smaller companes (less than 500mm in "value"). This is sort of the opposite of the big "bulge bracket" firms like a GS, MS, UBS, etc.

But sort of like in your other thread... if you can't answer this question yourself, maybe it is a good sign that you don't really want to get into this field?

I'm not saying it is a bad job; but I see a lot of people who think they want to be ibankers but really have no clue what that means.

Exactly. You will get eaten alive if you do make it. You will meet some of the brightest most resourceful people in banking. Granted there are some not so bright guys either but those guys tend to be focused and motivated. If you have no clue as to why you want to do ibanking you probably should leave it to those who know what they want.

If you want to do this, you really should read up on it. You can't fake your way through one of these interviews.