What is a good way to test my son's budget gaming pc?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
Will this system be good enough for Oculus Rift consumer version? I really want to try that and so does my son. He is using his 32" lcd tv to play on and so far he seems happy with that, he was wanting a monitor but I think it looks good enough for him as of now.
If you're going to do something like that, you may want/need to upgrade to an i5 or i7 CPU.

Fortunately, the rest of the system will support that upgrade path, no problem.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Worry about the Rift after it actually releases (as well as the games for it). You can upgrade at that time for better performance for the same money.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You put a 3258 on a B85? (sigh)
The whole point of the 3258 is that it overclocks to the friggin moon on the stock cooler but you need at least an H97 board that supports the feature. On B85 it's locked up tighter than Alcatraz and performance will suffer. You can get screaming gaming perf out of that thing at 4.5+Ghz but stock it's like tying your GPU to a fridge and throwing it off a boat.

Dude, you're way off.

The only "official" overclocking chipset is the Z87 / Z97.

But mobo mfgrs figured out how to "non-Z overclock", and they've been able to do it with all other S1150 chipsets. H81, B85, and H97 included.

You don't need an H97, there are B85 boards out there that will OC it just as well.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I got it going today and ran the Windows Experience test and everything was a 7.9 except the cpu was a 7.2 but that doesnt really tell me anything, I am looking for a good way to see how it performs

You want to know how a gaming PC will perform?

Oh I don't know, why don't you strap it to a skateboard and send it down a hill, see how fast it goes... or you could try gaming on it... either should suffice. :awe:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Clock speed and IPC is king for minecraft. I built a 4.5GHz G3258 system for my 10yo, and it absolutely crushes minecraft. He was very jealous of his friend who was getting "an $800 gaming PC" for his birthday. He was rubbing it in his face for months before finally getting it. As it turns out, his friend's pc ended up being a total dog, it doesnt even get half the framerate on minecraft, despite having 3 times the cores and costing 3 times as much.
Minecraft as a benchmark...... you can play that on any phone or tablet. LOL

davie jambo

Feb 13, 2014
for fps, rts, mmo, et cetera pc games? no, they don't.

millions of console players use controllers because they have no choice, and the games are designed around controllers, with extremely limited options, auto-aim and other compensation.

Loads of PC shooters that have auto-aim

Just because you like using a mouse and keyboard that does not mean that everyone should and it's the "best way"

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
Will this system be good enough for Oculus Rift consumer version? I really want to try that and so does my son. He is using his 32" lcd tv to play on and so far he seems happy with that, he was wanting a monitor but I think it looks good enough for him as of now.

Don't let him play on a television. Buy him a proper PC monitor. Doesn't have to be the best, but TVs are for television. Get him a PC monitor.