What is a good source of Proteins?

desiplaya4life

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2004
ok everyone tells me that after studying for a test you should eat something that has good source of proteins. because it helps you retain what you remembered (something to do with RNA)

but anyways

ok so im studying and i got my test in about 5hrs. i want something that will give me good amount of proteins and prob take it 30-45mins? before the test?

thanks!

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
I think you are tired and should post when you get some sleep so you will make more sense.

I think you are done studying for tonight.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
umm chicken? but it would take a lot longer than 30-45 minutes to digest it i believe.

desiplaya4life

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2004
if you have nothing to add , then dont speak.

and do your research first before you try to prove me wrong w/ your smirk comments.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: desiplaya4life
Originally posted by: JohnCU
umm chicken? but it would take a lot longer than 30-45 minutes to digest it i believe.

maybe, prolly has a lot of sugar in it though.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Sounds like bullsh!t to me. I'm on an extremely high protein diet (I'm a body builder) and I can't remember sh!t.

Sounds like a myth started because someone heard how the brain synthesizes proteins to effect long term memory and ignorantly assumed eating more protein would help this.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Egg Whites are very rich in the 8 essential amino acids that the body cannot produce on it's own.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
beans
fish & meats
virtually anything dairy
soy products
protein bars & shakes

Good luck with the memory thing, though. It sounds like a dubious claim.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: maximus maximus
Soy milk (chocolate flavor) FTW!!

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein.html

See the last bolded paragraph.

Soy is not the miracle protein so many seem to believe it is.

Straight talk about soy

One protein source that has been getting a lot of attention is soybeans. We've been told that regularly eating soy-based foods lowers cholesterol, chills hot flashes, prevents breast and prostate cancer, aids weight loss, and wards off osteoporosis. Some of these benefits have been attributed a unique characteristic of soybeans-their high concentrations of isoflavones, a type of plant-made estrogen (phytoestrogen).

Media reports tout the joys of soy, and food makers are churning out new soy products that are moving into the mainstream. In Boston, for example, soymilk is now advertised on the radio during Boston Red Sox games, alongside donuts, oil additives, and beer.

As is so often the case, some of the claims made for soy were based on preliminary evidence, while others go far beyond the available evidence. Back in 1999, the Food and Drug Administration let companies claim that foods containing soy protein "may reduce the risk of heart disease."(11) The claim was based on early research showing that soy protein lowered levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. A number of solid studies done since then have tempered this finding,(12) as well as those regarding soy's effects on other conditions.

Heart disease: A 1995 meta-analysis of 38 controlled clinical trials showed that eating approximately 50 grams of soy protein a day in place of animal protein reduced total cholesterol levels by 9.3 percent, LDL cholesterol by 12.9 percent, and triglycerides by 10.5 percent.(13) Such reductions, if sustained over time, could have meant a 20 percent reduction in the risk of heart attack, stroke, or other forms of cardiovascular disease. An updated look at the soy story, which includes several strong studies published since 2000, isn't so bullish on soy and cholesterol. According to this comprehensive update of soy research by the American Heart Association's nutrition committee, eating 50 grams of soy lowers LDL only about 3%.(12) Keep in mind that 50 grams of soy protein is more than half the average person's daily protein requirement. It's the equivalent of 1½ pounds of tofu or eight 8-ounce glasses of soymilk a day.

All this doesn't mean you need to turn up your nose at tofu, tempeh, soy milk or ignore edamame (a fancy name for soybeans). The AHA committee says that even though soy protein itself has little direct effect on cholesterol, soy foods are good for the heart and blood vessels because they usually replace less healthful choices, like red meat, and because they deliver plenty of polyunsaturated fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and are low in saturated fat.

Hot flashes: Soy has also been investigated as a treatment for hot flashes and other problems that often accompany menopause. In theory, this makes sense. Soybeans are rich in phytoestrogens. In some tissues, these substances mimic the action of estrogen. So they could cool hot flashes by giving a woman an estrogen-like boost during a time of dwindling estrogen levels. Yet carefully controlled studies haven't found this to be the case, (14,15) and the AHA committee concludes that soy hasn't been shown to ease hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause.(12)

Breast cancer: Phytoestrogens don't always mimic estrogens. In some tissues they actually block the action of estrogen. If such estrogen-blocking action occurs in the breast, then eating soy could, in theory, reduce the risk of breast cancer because estrogen stimulates the growth and multiplication of breast and breast cancer cells. But studies so far haven't provided a clear answer, with some showing a benefit and others showing no association between soy consumption and breast cancer.(12) In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggest that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells.(16,17) Large prospective studies now underway should offer better information regarding soy and breast cancer risk.

Other cancers: Although substances in soy could conceivably protect against endometrial, ovarian, colorectal, prostate, and other cancers, there is no good evidence for this.

Memory and thinking ability: A few studies have raised the possibility that eating soy could help prevent the age-related loss of memory or decline in cognitive function. Two recent trials have yielded contradictory results in this area, with one showing a benefit for soy (18) and another showing no benefit.(19) Others go further, and suggest that too much soy could lead to memory problems. Among older women of Japanese ancestry living in Hawaii, those who relied on the traditional soy-based diet were more likely to have cognitive problems than those who switched to a more Western diet.(20)

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
high protein diet leads to better memory? dubious claim indeed. i'd rather just go with the accepted practice of getting some rest and eating a chocolate bar before you take your test.

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
so...you cant think of anything with protein in it?

any meat, dairy, nuts, soy....etc.

a protein bar is faster digesting than any of these...so it probably fits your needs best

extra protien now will probly have no effect, but it is true that new brain cells...and thus new memories are not as well formed if you are on a protien deficient diet