What is a good age to start having kids? POLL

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
I voted 30, so that I don't have to feel "behind the game" for not having kids, or even a wife, at my current age of 28. Plus, my parents were 30 when I was born so it seems the norm for me.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
I voted 27, as with a typical college graduate, that gives a few years to get a job and solidify things financially a bit.
For the record, my dad was 28 and my mom 25 when they had me; I'm 25 now.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
My wife and I are planning on having kids when we're 28. We wanted to have some time by ourselves after we got married, and we want to wait until we're financially prepared so she doesn't have to work full-time when we have kids.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I was 26 so I voted for that.

No matter what age you are, I wouldn't suggest having kids without at least a couple years of marriage under your belt.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I think the ideal age to START having kids would be in the late 20s. Say 26-29. Why? Well that gives you time to get out of college (if you went), to get a stable career, to get a stable home, to find a mate, etc. Rushing it and doing it too much earlier would cause a lot of headaches that simple waiting can fix.

However I wouldn't want to start it too late. Why? Late births have a signficantly greater chance of defects. Later in life you are far less adaptable so that lifestyle changes are difficult and painful. I want to have a couple of children (2-3), so that means tha last child would be born in the lower 30s. I'd still have enough energy for the child. I can't imagine having a child near 40 and dealing with high school/college MYSPACE crap at the age of 60. If you wait too long, you'll lose your ability to have a second life (kids out of your hair at 50 gives you a chance to recreate yourself). Plus, I want to enjoy my grandchildren. I'd hate to be 80 when my first grandchild is born (if I even live that long). Grandchildren are were the real rewards are - all the joy and none of the work that parents have to face.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TheNinja
What is a good age to start having kids?

you need to add "when you can pass a competency test that tells us whether you should be raising kids or pet rocks."

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
30 is a good age. Most of your heavy partying and initial career moves should be done at this point. Plus you should both be mature enough to handle the situation.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I vote when the mom is 25. So if you are three years older, guy is 28. If she is older, guy is 23 ... still a good age.