What IP do you really want to see brought into life via game?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
None. There hasn't been a single IP turned into a game that was "good".

And no..the star wars stuff was not good.
There are millions of us that disagree with you. KOTOR and Tie Fighter, in particular, were more than good, they were excellent.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I always wanted Shadowrun on the Infinity Engine, but obviously thats not going to happen.

Next best thing would be Shadowrun on Gamebryo. Fallout only attacked one aspect of open-world future gameplay: the post-apocalypse.

We still need a dystopian/Orwellian high tech future setting with an open world. I would still like a VATS-type system for the game, at its hard the turn based combat is what made it awesome.

Shit, a brilliant hard working group of fans could probably make a total conversion for New Vegas if not for copyright issues.

You may be interested in this, if you weren't already aware of it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Battlestar Galactica would be awesome. I would not be opposed if Star Citizen changed to battlestar galactica at the last minute and we got that instead.

Also, Takeshi Kovacs novels universe would be awesome for a shooter/MMO.

Meh, I'd rather them spend more money on the game than paying out the ass for some expensive IP.

From all appearances though, Star Citizen will essentially have BSG-style combat, meaning you'll have thrust and 360 degrees of rotation. Should make for some pretty epic dogfights if they do it right.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Whether it's by Shooter, RPG, MMORPG, console rpg, or whatever, what intellectual property/universe would you like to see brought to life in gaming?

For me, there's a lot but I can only remember a few up front:
Firefly
Babylon 5
Deep Space 9
Legend of the Seeker
Stargate (yes I know there's a tablet game coming, I haven't followed it lately because it is a tablet)

And more...you could also answer with something that hasn't been properly done in games before even though it technically have had a game.

Firefly + Stargate!

Make it happend!

**** StarGate MMO would be... to epic.

Have people suit up, walk through gate. The instanceing would make sense.
Have gameplay be 100% group focused, so people stand around on earth in base and form groups to take on missions.

(ei leave out pvp aspects, 100% pve game).

Have earth retake world's and their positions, free people,set up off world bases, ect ect,
only to lose them again with time (if base's are not defended). Have off world bases have certain mineing / gathering ect (so people have incentive to keep planets).

I see so much possibility in such a game.

You could even make servers reset (character wipes, or reset to lv1),
if earth is defeated (ei, players not protecting them).

Meh, I'd rather them spend more money on the game than paying out the ass for some expensive IP.
The bonus is you get a story, that works and is well loved.

Compaired to how many games have horrible stories in them, I think paying of a IP could work out well.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
If someone released a good Dexter RPG..I'd be all over that.
(Seeing as Dexter is one of my favorite tv shows..)

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
The Navi and the rest of the Avatar world. And have it be miles ahead in quality over the one they have out now.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
After how poorly they translated the books to a TV series, you want someone to try make a video game of it?

That show still infuriates me. Even pre-ordered Season 1. :mad:

No - especially because they butchered it!

I saw the TV series first, thought it was cool, then read the books and realized it fell short.

I think doing it Dragon Age style with conversational branches would be great...naturally there should always be a choice that corresponds with how Richard would handle something.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There are millions of us that disagree with you. KOTOR and Tie Fighter, in particular, were more than good, they were excellent.

That's not that many. Not by today's standards, and those games..well wouldn't be even on the slight side of good if they were made these days (realizing KOTOR is not THAT old).

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
None. There hasn't been a single IP turned into a game that was "good".

Escape from Butcher Bay, Goldeneye?

Not by today's standards, and those games..well wouldn't be even on the slight side of good if they were made these days (realizing KOTOR is not THAT old).

I'm sure if KotOR was done today it would be a mix of Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Of course you may have an argument with EA's handling of Bioware.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
KOTOR already was a mix of Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Excepted it focused on story and enjoyable game play.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
No - especially because they butchered it!

I saw the TV series first, thought it was cool, then read the books and realized it fell short.

I think doing it Dragon Age style with conversational branches would be great...naturally there should always be a choice that corresponds with how Richard would handle something.

I don't know how well Sword of Truth would translate to any genre though. At least, not in the time period covered in the novels.

Now, if they were to go back a couple thousands years to before the Temple of the Winds was sealed off, when all Wizards had additive and subtractive magic, I'd be interested.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
After how poorly they translated the books to a TV series, you want someone to try make a video game of it?

That show still infuriates me. Even pre-ordered Season 1. :mad:

I watched the show before committing to reading the books. I'm amazed of the little semblance between the plots, but it kind of works that way. I was able to watch the show and read the books with equal enjoyment.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I think that most of my favourite IP are brought to life, but the problem is that these games are in most cases truly horrible. Either they were some sort of a quick cash that accompanies a movie release or a horrid low budget thing that was buggy, with outdated graphics, bad story etc...

Star Wars is only IP that was transferred well into VG. At least until recently, with KOTOR 2 being the last decent game for the franchise.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The Firefly universe! As either a single player game ala-Mass Effect, or as an MMORPG. There was so much content the series never got to touch, although the books helped out.

And I would love a good Godzilla game. Not a fighting game like previous godzilla games, but more of an adventure game.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Wreck-it Ralph, as an RPG. Start as a character in a basic arcade game and work your way up through different game types.

I'm a gorilla with a laser rifle, a +3 Armor of Fire Resistance, and a Blue Pill in my inventory. I am currently playing Gem Swapper to get enough points to buy a new engine for my car so that I can win the race and get the key to the Fortress of Doom!

It would be like a wacky version of Ready Player One.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Never Ending Story - action RPG = win

Flying on a dragon, giant turtles, hot chicks, massive exploring, destructive force called "the nothing". This is too good to not make a game about.