What if?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EndGame

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2002
Yeah, let's go ahead and make guns illegal......I mean it's worked so well with drugs we need to implement the same illegal status to guns and all will be well......:roll:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Increasing gun laws makes it harder for criminals to get them too.

Do you doubt that if there were actually respectable background checks before obtaining a machine that is designed specifically to kill people, that this VA Tech kid, who had a history of mental illness, would have gotten one?

The gun laws in this country are laughable.

Increasing gun laws do NOT make them harder for criminals to get...they make them more inconvenient for law abiding citizens to get. The criminals are just going to steal them anyway.

Why hasn't ANYONE actually understood what I'm saying? I guess I'll leave this up until someone actually deals with the point that background checks in certain areas (Virginia) are a problem. Proof of responsibility should be federally required, and I really don't see how any *responsible* gun owner could have a problem with that.

Because a federal mandate requiring background checks won't deter criminals? If a criminal wants a gun, they will get it. Why do gun grabbers have such a hard time understanding that criminals don't obey laws?

While there is obviously some element of truth to what you're saying, let's cut the bullshit. Criminals cannot simply conjure guns out of midair, they are obviously getting them from SOMEWHERE. Don't you think the fact that guns are easy to get legally might have something to do with the ease with which criminals are able to obtain them? While it's true that someone who's really determined could probably get a gun even if they were illegal, it makes the job a whole lot easier if the criminal can just pick one up at the local Wal-Mart.

Edit: I'm not for gun control either, but that doesn't make your argument any better.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: EndGame
Yeah, let's go ahead and make guns illegal......I mean it's worked so well with drugs we need to implement the same illegal status to guns and all will be well......:roll:

Exactly. One only needs to look at the "war on drugs" to see that the OP's desire to "drease guns by 90%" is impossible.

And even so, like Moonbeam said above, it is not the gun, it is the person holding it. It is the fear, hatred, and greed of man that is the problem.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: EndGame

Exactly. One only needs to look at the "war on drugs" to see that the OP's desire to "drease guns by 90%" is impossible.

And even so, like Moonbeam said above, it is not the gun, it is the person holding it. It is the fear, hatred, and greed of man that is the problem.

While I hate to quote such a tired gun-nut cliche, guns don't kill people, people kill people. Most people would be fine no matter how powerful a weapon they had, and some people shouldn't be trusted with anything more dangerous than a butter knife.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
While there is obviously some element of truth to what you're saying, let's cut the bullshit. Criminals cannot simply conjure guns out of midair, they are obviously getting them from SOMEWHERE. Don't you think the fact that guns are easy to get legally might have something to do with the ease with which criminals are able to obtain them? While it's true that someone who's really determined could probably get a gun even if they were illegal, it makes the job a whole lot easier if the criminal can just pick one up at the local Wal-Mart.

Edit: I'm not for gun control either, but that doesn't make your argument any better.
How many times does it need to be pointed out to you that even if guns are illegal then criminals will still easily get guns. Just look at illegal drugs and how well we've kept those out of the country. Why do some people insist on keeping their head in the sand?

Mavrick

Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
What I notice is that places with incredibly strict gun control laws (Washington DC) seem to have ridiculous murder rates.

Places with fairly lax gun control laws (Alaska, Utah) not so much.

It's a tired cliche, but when you outlaw guns, the only people who will have guns are outlaws. There is nothing more appealing to a criminal (who will be armed no matter what - he is a criminal after all) than an unarmed, defenseless populace.

You mean a global metropolis where millions of people (with a lot of poor and bored youth) are stacked on around 50 square miles seems to have more murders than a remote rural, northern state, where gangs cannot hang out more than 3 or 4 months a year because it's too cold?

You should compare places that are at least somewhat related!