What if?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Great new video. Sure it is Foxnews and all the haters will jump in here and trash it simply because it is Fox, and others will jump in and trash it because it promotes Ron Paul.

But if you watch it, watch it with an open mind and ask yourself. What if...

What If

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Ron+Paul+Supporters+Are...png

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
The problem with Ron Paul is he sounds so damn good on some things, like fiscal policy, and then in the next breath he will say something like "the aliens will be landing next Thursday". He is a crackpot. When I see a Ron Paul bumper sticker on a car it is evident that the only reason that person supports him, and the only thing they probably understand, is that he wants to legalize drugs.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
The problem with Ron Paul is he sounds so damn good on some things, like fiscal policy, and then in the next breath he will say something like "the aliens will be landing next Thursday". He is a crackpot. When I see a Ron Paul bumper sticker on a car it is evident that the only reason that person supports him, and the only thing they probably understand, is that he wants to legalize drugs.

Right. Except crazy to you guys is "the gold standard" and doing away with centralized banking, and not interfering with other countries business, ie overthrowing democratically elected leaders in other countries because they elected someone we didn't like?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Right. Except crazy to you guys is "the gold standard" and doing away with centralized banking, and not interfering with other countries business, ie overthrowing democratically elected leaders in other countries because they elected someone we didn't like?

The gold standard IS crazy. I don't really discount Paul for that though because he would never get it by Congress but if you put more than a few seconds of thought into it and remove personal bias (like thinking you will gain from it because you own a bunch of gold) you will see that it just isn't a good idea.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

You know what's funny about going back to the gold standard? What if there is no gold in Fort Knox?

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
The gold standard IS crazy. I don't really discount Paul for that though because he would never get it by Congress but if you put more than a few seconds of thought into it and remove personal bias (like thinking you will gain from it because you own a bunch of gold) you will see that it just isn't a good idea.

Yup. Even if you subscribe to the Austrian School and are against central banks there are some serious issues with the gold standard such as the unpredictability of the supply of gold. If we are on a currency pegged to gold and there's a big gold find you have instant inflation.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Yup. Even if you subscribe to the Austrian School and are against central banks there are some serious issues with the gold standard such as the unpredictability of the supply of gold. If we are on a currency pegged to gold and there's a big gold find you have instant inflation.
You don't peg the currency to gold, you make specie legal tender and don't subsidize FRB.

It's not anymore unstable than the fiat/FRB system we have now, it reduces deficit spending, and savings don't go down in value as much.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

These things have nothing to do with each other. All this nonsense about killing the FED or re-adopting the gold standard IS crazy. The rest of what you state for Ron Paul...not so much.

Aug 14, 2001

Only at the federal level. He's fine with states criminalizing any drug or substance at the state level. He would also be fine with laws that allow one demographic to use drugs and to make it illegal for a different demographic to use those same drugs.

Aug 14, 2001

Crazy is having an economic policy that is based on refusing to acknowledge the real world. Ron Paul is insane and vile.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I wonder how many years (after this one) will we have in peace before the Paulbots start pushing the idiot son, Rand?

Aug 14, 2001
I wonder how many years (after this one) will we have in peace before the Paulbots start pushing the idiot son, Rand?

I'm sure that the racist ones will support Rand Paul, but I'm not sure if the ones who are not as aware of Paul's policies would support Rand Paul. He doesn't seem to have enough of the cult-like personality as Ron Paul.

Oct 30, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of his free market economic politics, but I do support legalizing drugs and reducing our worldwide military footprint. So I have to wonder, if he were elected and were able to do what he wanted to do, how would that compare to what any of the other candidates and Obama would do (if they could do what they wanted to do)?

Ending the war on drugs would save our country so much damned money that he just might be able to do more to help the country than any of the other candidates. We're wasting gigantic amounts of money on law enforcement and incarceration. I assume he'd also legalize prostitution which would save us even more money.

(Not that Paul would go further and tax drugs and prostitution, but if someone were to legalize all of that and tax it, it wouldn't merely save us money but would generate tax revenue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.