What If: Zombies Started Appearing and Spreading?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I just walked out of Dawn of the Dead.... and it got me wondering.... What would you guys do if news reports started saying zombies were appearing and killing?

I really don't have a good plan... Best thing I could think of would be get to an island somehow. I have plenty of guns and ammunition, and a really fast truck... But I don't have a good plan.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
It depends on what kind of zombies they were. If they're easily killed by bullets, then I'll find the nearest gun store and stock up. If they're not, or take some weird special magic to kill, then I'm hopping in the minivan, stocking up on food, and heading for my dad's cabin (after finding some firearms, of course).

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Unless my house is surrounded by 4,000+ zombies, I should be ok.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
I would hunt them down,. grab them by the collar and call them really bad names.

Bah that's just me. What would YOU do?!?!?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
The thing that surprised me about alternate endings to 28 Days Later was the speculation that the disease spread at all, beyond the British mainland; if you think about it, the infection/incubation period was so short as to limit the feasible distance of contamination; any flights going out would have everyone in the plane becoming infected within a few minutes and the plane either crashing (if the pilots were also infected) or being shot down (if the cockpit was sealed). Other than swimming, of which most zombies are not capable, the infection would be limited to the island and burn itself out.

So, that begs another question - how short is the incubation period of this zombie disease?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Orsorum
The thing that surprised me about alternate endings to 28 Days Later was the speculation that the disease spread at all, beyond the British mainland; if you think about it, the infection/incubation period was so short as to limit the feasible distance of contamination; any flights going out would have everyone in the plane becoming infected within a few minutes and the plane either crashing (if the pilots were also infected) or being shot down (if the cockpit was sealed). Other than swimming, of which most zombies are not capable, the infection would be limited to the island and burn itself out.

So, that begs another question - how short is the incubation period of this zombie disease?

In the new film it seemed to be several hours to a day or so.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Head down to Fort Hood, steal a Humvee with some friends, and start blowing zombies away. It would have been cool if in the movie they had huge lines of Humvees, attack helicoptors, and others and you see the machine guns mowing the zombies down.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052

New film?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

New film?

I meant the new Dawn of the Dead, just saw it last night so I was thinking about that.

In 28 Days the change was nearly instant.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

New film?

Dawn of the Dead that just came out Friday.

And by incubation, do you mean how long does it take for humans to turn into zombies? Once dead it appeared to be less than a minute. If bitten/cut then like the other guy said, several hours to a few days.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

New film?

And by incubation, do you mean how long does it take for humans to turn into zombies? Once dead it appeared to be less than a minute. If bitten/cut then like the other guy said, several hours to a few days.

I haven't seen DotD yet. From what I saw in 28 Days Later, the incubation period (once you were exposed to the virus by liquid contamination) was about twenty seconds. Even if the period were a day or so, I could see the military/national guard suiting up their troops and setting quarantine zones which might be somewhat effective.

Could the zombies in this case use guns?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

I haven't seen DotD yet. From what I saw in 28 Days Later, the incubation period (once you were exposed to the virus by liquid contamination) was about twenty seconds. Even if the period were a day or so, I could see the military/national guard suiting up their troops and setting quarantine zones which might be somewhat effective.

Go see it, you'll like it :) I never saw 28DL so I can't comment on that. To get infected you have to either get bitten and killed by a zombie (once you die you come back as a zombie within 20 seconds) or if you get bit/cut but didn't get killed, the transformation into a zombie takes hours to days. And no the zombies couldn't use guns.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Zombies in all movies are stupid, and incapable of driving, using guns, or doing anything that require much thought. They can walk, bite and eat. That's about it...

Oh yeah, I had another idea, a tank would be AWSOME. I mean, you're sealed inside, there's no way zombies can get in, you can roll over thousands of them.

The main difference between 28 days later and Dawn of the Dead is that 28 days later is based on a virus. Dawn of the Dead, as far as we know, is actually based on a few dead people getting out of the ground and spreading the zombiness. Presumably the entire world is facing the same problem in Dawn of the Dead.

Another thing I wondered, how long do the zombies live? In 28 days later, they didn't appear to live more than an average human without food... But then, that was a virus, and thus a little more 'realistic'. So do actual zombies ever just starve or die?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH

New film?

No, but they were a lot more animated/stronger than in the earlier movies. They could chase you running down the street and actually catch you.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Kwan1
lock myself in a local walmart. Guns, food, clothes.

I thought about that too. Aside from the glass front, Walmart is built like a fortress, and has enough supplies to last you and others for months. Also a nice big roof for signs. Although really, if the zombies couldn't break the glass of the mall in Dawn of the Dead, they couldn't get into Walmart either.