What if we spend as much on veterans after the war than we did on the wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
http://www.newser.com/story/116012/marines-poster-boy-for-suicide-prevention-kills-self.html

With all of these suicides and psychological problems members of the military are having, how the hell are we going to afford treating them?

Even if all the troops were called home, Federal expenditures for their care is going to cost nearly as much as the wars costed.

I know the Federal government is already bankrupt, but this is pretty scary.

I'm saddened for the veterans (this is one way having a standing army ruins everything), but even more saddened for the taxpayer.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
http://www.newser.com/story/116012/marines-poster-boy-for-suicide-prevention-kills-self.html

With all of these suicides and psychological problems members of the military are having, how the hell are we going to afford treating them?

Even if all the troops were called home, Federal expenditures for their care is going to cost nearly as much as the wars costed.

I know the Federal government is already bankrupt, but this is pretty scary.

I'm saddened for the veterans (this is one way having a standing army ruins everything), but even more saddened for the taxpayer.

Why feel sorry for the Taxpayers, the majority of them were responsible for voting in the asshole who sent them to war.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Amazing how these types of problems have increased as society has changed form a pull yourself up to give me anything it want.

Either the people are not weeded out in advance, they do not have the proper training or what.

How much of this was seen from the WWII and Korea vets?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Amazing how these types of problems have increased as society has changed form a pull yourself up to give me anything it want.

Either the people are not weeded out in advance, they do not have the proper training or what.

Or they were ignored.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

probably a lot but it was simply never acknowledged

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
My grandfather had PTSD from World War 2. Verbally abused his entire family for 40 years after the war - pretty much until all his kids were out of the house. My mother hated him so much she didn't even go to his funeral.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Just like autism diagnosis increased after we started those pesky vaccines, amirite? I mean if people had autism all those years in the past, we totally would have diagnosed it.

If only there were some other explanation, like a stigma for mental illness...

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011

there's no way to tell how people will react to combat and how they will feel afterwards, no amount of training will change the outcome either...

I still scanned the side of the road for IEDs montshs after I got home, I simply couldn't help it, other than that I luckily didn't have any mental scars worth mentioning, others weren't as fortunate.

PTSD is a relatively new diagnosis and the army still aren't completely equipped to deal with it.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Or they were ignored.
Right. The treatment was "get back on duty or be shot," aka "just walk it off."

The term "shell-shocked" dates back to 1916, but according to wiki similar combat stress reactions were labeled "soldier's heart" and "nostalgia" during the American Civil War.

War. War never changes.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Now that society has a somewhat better understanding of PTSD, I wonder what those who showed up to spit on and yell at returning Vietnam soldiers are thinking?

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011

Quit yer whining.

The military is just using this as an excuse to do weapons research on the subject. They're already gene typing everyone and investing in serious research and with their resources you can bet your ass they'll get results fast. In another ten years no doubt they'll be able to predict your future from a soda can and have drugs that will completely erase your memory. That way they can waterboard you, get the information they want, and send you on your merry way. No doubt with a little more time they'll even figure out how to turn pinko commies into good republicans.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Now that society has a somewhat better understanding of PTSD, I wonder what those who showed up to spit on and yell at returning Vietnam soldiers are thinking?

Probably nothing as it was a myth for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.