What if Sosa never has another 40+ HR season again.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
would that make people seriously consider sammy's last 4 seasons?? obviously this is also in light of the current revelation of Cork in his Bat?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: LeeTJ
would that make people seriously consider sammy's last 4 seasons?? obviously this is also in light of the current revelation of Cork in his Bat?

I'm sure he has broken a bat during his last 4 seasons and there was no cork in it then.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
They just checked his other 77 game bats..none were corked.

And hopefully it shouldn't matter.

And..you really didn't need to start another 100+ post thread.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Syringer

you ahve the article on the 77 other bats?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite

you ahve the article on the 77 other bats?

It's in the other thread.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003

and if you were concerned with bandwidth you could have chosen to just NOT reply.
rolleye.gif

btw, it does matter. he's been caught once the fact that his other 77 bats WERE not corked does not mean he's never used a corked bat before. Who would be stupid enough to cork all 77 bats?
rolleye.gif

all that proves is the only corked bat in his collection right NOW broke.

if you honestly believe that he's never used a corked bat before in his career, you are really naive.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
He already stated he used that one bat for batting practice. Is it really so hard to believe that he just grabbed the wrong bat? Sure he may have grabbed the wrong bat before and it didn't break, but how many of the incidents did he hit a homerun with it.

One out of 77 doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
He already stated he used that one bat for batting practice. Is it really so hard to believe that he just grabbed the wrong bat? Sure he may have grabbed the wrong bat before and it didn't break, but how many of the incidents did he hit a homerun with it.

I guess it's believable if you believe he only uses the bat for BP.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

rolleye.gif

why would someone use a LIGHTER bat in practice??
rolleye.gif

changing equipment between practice and real game is STUPID.

so he gets all his timing down for a LIGHTER bat and then uses a HEAVIER bat in real games??

if you believe THAT i've got a lot of stuff to sell you. SHOOT i'll sell you the empire state building.
rolleye.gif

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

so he gets all his timing down for a LIGHTER bat and then uses a HEAVIER bat in real games??

if you believe THAT i've got a lot of stuff to sell you. SHOOT i'll sell you the empire state building.
rolleye.gif
He stated that he only used the corked bat during practice when hitting dingers for fans. I'm sure he switched back to practicing with a regular bat now and then. I'm not entirely inclined to believe him, but you could at least consider what he's said...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Christ you use enough of the rolling icon. He stated he uses the bat in BP because he can hit more balls into the stands and give a better show for the fans. There isn't much timing involved in BP right before a game, the pitcher on the mound is throwing 65-75 miles per hour. When you've played baseball all your life, i don't think BP before a game is going to throw your timing all off if you use a lighter bat.

Anyway, as for the topic of this thread, because i really don't intend to argue about this in this thread, when there is a thread on the subject already...

"If your goal in life is to hit home runs, then I don't think a corked bat is going to help you too much,'' said Nathan, who has published studies on the subject. "On the other hand, if you're sort of a contact hitter, a singles hitter, then a corked bat probably can help you.''

Source If he doesn't hit 40 hrs again I don't think it would have much to do with the bat.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Sosa used to be a Strike-Out King .. then he meated up and started slugging the balls. His image prolly be tarnished.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: werk

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif
He stated that he only used the corked bat during practice when hitting dingers for fans. I'm sure he switched back to practicing with a regular bat now and then. I'm not entirely inclined to believe him, but you could at least consider what he's said...

I did consider what he said. And then i promply dismissed it.

Face it, i don't see how anyone can see it any other way but to say that burden of proof is now SQUARELY in Sosa's corner. He has to PROVE to us as fans that he did it without corked bats and that will mean that he will voluntarily have to submit to RANDOM bat checks, this checking of his other 77 bats means nothing to me. he wouldn't be stupid enough to bring more than 1 or 2 corked bats to the stadium or anywhere public at any given time.

The proof that he used a corked bats is there. Now it's up to him to prove that he never uses one again, otherwise there will always be doubt about him.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Do you really think someone can go FOUR whole seasons, at 162 games a season and NOT be caught with it? Especially with his swings and pitchers nowadays? I mean I wouldn't expect anyone to last more than a week with it, MAYBE a month at the absolute LONGEST, but NOT four whole seasons.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I don't think the corked bat affects his homerun count that much. Though it might help his average a little since he can get the bat around faster. His home runs are mammoth shots though, and that aint because of a corked bat ;)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Why doesn't major league baseball make a rule to check *all* of the bats at the conclusion of each game? Then, no one would use one. Cheating team forfeits the game...

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Don't know much about baseball but if a corked bat is that much lighter, how in the world does he NOT realize he's picking up his corked bat when he heads to the plate?

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Why doesn't major league baseball make a rule to check *all* of the bats at the conclusion of each game? Then, no one would use one. Cheating team forfeits the game...

you do realize that if Sammy has 76 bats, then most players on the team probably have their fair share as well. That's a lot of bats to check.

whether he has used corked bats in the past does not help him image, however, hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports especially when it's coming 90+ mph or starts at your head and breaks to your knees. corked or not corked, it doesn't take away from the fact that he's hit 500+ dingers in his career and has become ridiculous in the last 4-5 years.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Don't know much about baseball but if a corked bat is that much lighter, how in the world does he NOT realize he's picking up his corked bat when he heads to the plate?

Probably the rush most major leaguers get every time they go to bat in front of tens of thousands of people . . . well maybe not a Cubs game.:D