What if Gore had been elected...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Regarding 9/11, who knows? He certainly would have struck hard at Al Qaeda but would he have gone in to topple the Taliban? Something tells me that's doubtful.

I tend to agree. Political reality and the American people would insist that he do something substantial in repsonse to 9/11, but I seriously doubt Gore would have had the conviction and backbone to follow through and do what truly needed to be done. Would he have initiated the doctrine of "those who harbor terrorists shall be dealt with as if they were terrorists themselves"? Would he have done much more than merely a Clintonian response?

As someone earlier in this thread said, he probably would have kicked the can down the road..

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I have absolutely nothing to base this upon either
And neither do those who insist Gore wouldn't have anything. I believe that that the events that unfolded on 9/11 guided Bush's hand just like they would have guided Gore's hand had he been elected. I would also like to add that it takes a man of courage to want to become the President of America knowing full well that the wieght of the world and the future of the free world rest squarely upon his shoulders. Say what you will about Bush, he has shown the courage that it takes to take on this burden.

AdmiralTiger

Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA
God help us....

Even us atheist and agnostics.

Godspeed to you too! (and I'm agnostic!! heh).

Anyway, Gore would've done the same thing Bush did... except that he won't be criticized for following in his daddy's footstep (W Bush being in Iraq now), but to be criticized for "scoffing" around at some kind of senate meeting in late 80s regarding some guy called "Bin Laden" - Oliver North said he was a threat, and Gore scoffed at it.

I voted for Gore, and I don't regret it... but all those "what if's" got to stop - he's not the president and Bush is. I don't agree on Bush's tactics as much as you guys do... so I'm just going to say this: 2004.

HappyNic

Oct 14, 2001
well you never know what going to happen in the future,, for all i know if Gore was elected there might not even be a 9/11 crisis, you could say them Terrorist don't like Bush for president becasue of his daddy Bush or something. But I'm for sure other country would like us more if Gore was elected.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
You guys are a riot. You have no idea what would have happened. You are doing the same thing that you bitch and moan about the people that just hate Bush doing. The doing a "Monica" on Saddam thing is really intelligent...
rolleye.gif

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Insane3D
You guys are a riot. You have no idea what would have happened. You are doing the same thing that you bitch and moan about the people that just hate Bush doing. The doing a "Monica" on Saddam thing is really intelligent...
rolleye.gif
The thread originator posed a question asking for speculation. Some of us responded with our opinions, hopefully somewhat thoughtful. What's a bigger riot is that you're incapable of joining in the discussion.

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
I voted for him so don't get me wrong. He would have apologized for our buildings being the way of the hijacked planes. and would have offered uranium for saddam to help develop nuclear power.