what (if any) image editors support 16bpp image files?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by NTB, May 17, 2008.

1. NTB

NTB Diamond Member

I'm working on scanning & correcting a bunch of family photos, and I figured that I would scan and manipulate them at 16bpp color - I've got the space, and the extra headroom will help with those images that need the most work. So I got started last night, then this morning opened one of the pics in PSP and tried a few of the filters to remove some scratches, noise, etc. Every time, the program wanted to downsample the image to 8bpp first :(

So, is there any image editor that will actually *work* with 16bpp images? I imagine full-blown photoshop can, but I don't have $500+ to drop on software. What about Elements? anything else?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - any) image editors Forum Date
    windows photo viewer - any way to add context menu - search image in google? Software for Windows Nov 29, 2014
    Any software out there that can image a TrueCrypt disc? Software for Windows Oct 26, 2014
    Any Image Resizer out there than can resize GIFs? Software for Windows Jul 15, 2012
    Any good freeware partition image programs that can exclude directories? Software for Windows Oct 2, 2010
    Image AND MPG preview in explorer context menu - any app that does this? Software for Windows Mar 8, 2008

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I don't know if it'll do what you want, but give The Gimp a try. It doesn't cost anything, so there's nothing to lose.

4. NTB

NTB Diamond Member

no dice :( GIMP won't even open the image without downsampling first.

5. atbnet

atbnet Senior member

Have you tried Irfan View? Paint.Net?

6. NTB

NTB Diamond Member

IrfanView doesn't care for 16-bit images; I tried that first and after I saved the image, about 1/3 of it was gone - that part of the picture was simply black.

Haven't heard of paint.net - I'll have to look into that.

7. xtknight

xtknight Elite Member

You can always try the evaluation version of Photoshop, or Elements if they have an eval.

BTW, maybe PSP can edit 16-bit PSP images but not 16-bit of another type. "16-bit" doesn't really mean support for any format at 16-bit. Some formats don't even support 16-bit. But some apps might be able to do 16-bit editing in one mode or another.

8. NTB

NTB Diamond Member

I've tried Tiff, PNG, and PSP's own PSPIMAGE. Got the same errors in all of them. At the moment I'm downloading the X2 free trial to see if things have improved any.

Nathan

9. NTB

NTB Diamond Member

X2 isn't any better :(