What I want in a monitor

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
As a gamer and programmer I really want a monitor with the following properties:
- 1920x1200
- 24"
- 120Hz
- Low ghosting
- Good image quality (contrast, gamma stability, consistent lighting, no backlight bleed, black is nice and dark etc etc)
- Enough viewing angle for it to work in surround/eyefinity such that the colours aren't impacted
- Input latency below 16ms, ideally around 5ms (with the best monitors out there).

That combination as far as I know is currently impossible but it shouldn't be.

branskyj

Oct 25, 2011
I would LOVE for Anand to sit down with some of the most famous monitor manufacturers and ask them straight to their faces how is it possible that they never produced a true bezel-free monitor of the 23+ IPS range so far.
I guess it would be a niche product but so are many other out there... and I know many other people (including me) who would buy such monitor in a heart beat.
I mean- we sent people in space for crying out loud.
So yea- I guess that is my biggest gripe with the today's monitors.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If you don't have any bezel, what do you suggest using to keep the laminated layers together?

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
When we are talking about "concepts" here, a bezel free monitor might be possible by using some sort of indexed matched super glue for laminating the layers (you know, the kind that is used to splice and then rejoin two optical fiber ends together...).

But personally, I'd prefer the bezels. My brain is too used to seeing them now.

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Reducing the normal bezel isn't even on my list, although of course if they could reduce it to nothing that would also be excellent. But honestly I just want a monitor that doesn't ghost, doesn't have input lag and can do 120Hz at 16:10 and doesn't have terrible colours. With the ultra resolutions coming out on mobiles and tablets you would think that this isn't a daft list of requirements.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have believed that ghosting was a problem in the video controller. I have had at least 7 monitors, laptops and desktops, and have never seen ghosting. Color fidelity is also a controller card function. Do you like the Apple Retina display?

branskyj

Oct 25, 2011
If you don't have any bezel, what do you suggest using to keep the laminated layers together?

Poor choice of words, sorry.
I meant to say very thin bezel (2-3mm), not bezel free. And none of the fake thin bezels circulating lately, like the AOC i2367fh, or LG IPS277L.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Already had a 24" 1920x1200 PVA display for half a decade. I don't think I will bother upgrading to anything less than 1440p. I'd have upgraded already, but am holding out hope for >60Hz (from a major manufacturer, fully supported and so on). I don't require accurate colors, but good viewing angles, good blacks, low input lag and clean professional look are a must. Give me a featureless slab of matte black or dark gray plastic, or matte aluminum with a thin-ish bezel. No stupid fake chrome linings, highlighted logos, "gamer" styling or blinky LEDs. Oh, and standard VESA at the back please.

Nov 26, 2005
I'll get back to the resolution in a minute but the only LCD that comes close to those specs is the BenQ XL2420T and input lag on that monitor will come down from "13ms" to "5.6ms" on "Instant mode" I can't recall exactly on one particular person's scenario to change from 1080p to 1200 but I recall they used some adapter to do this.

EDIT: I would wait for the BenQ XL2411T if you are willing to sacrifice color and resolution.

Last edited:

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I want over-wide monitors at last.

Everyone and their dog is using multiple monitors these days, so why don't we have 2.5-2:1 screens?

I'd splurge on a 4096x1600 screen with little hesitation if it also had
Accurate colors (12 bit LUT? 10 bpc via display port?) Wide spectrum backlight.
good viewing angles (S-IPS or S-PVA)
reasonable output lag and reaction time (less than 20 ms pixel response)
Properly adjustable stand, brightness, contrast.
Brightness and contrast adjustable in specific screen areas (high brightness and contrast for image editing and gaming, but keep text windows at lower brightness and contrast) - essentially separately adressable back lights. If possible, with awesome LED backlight.
A cost of less than US$2500.
36" diameter (so about as high and same resolution as current 30" screens)

Silent, no fans or buzzing back-light PWM or power supply.

Sure it sounds like magic, but then the high-end of screens has been stagnant for almost a decade...

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
... BenQ XL2420T...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2420t.htm

What is wrong with it...
1) Its got PWM brightness control, so it flickers when its not in retina burning mode.
2) Colour quality isn't great, its after all. It needs calibration because otherwise its terrible.
3) Viewing angles look bad, which will be a problem in triple screen gaming.
4) The panel uniformity is very bad, 35% drops to the edges is just amazingly poor.
5) There is some overshoot with AMA enabled producing a white halo and still ghosting equivalent to the best of the IPS panels, which for a 120Hz TN panel isn't all that great.
7) Its 1080p

Its far from meeting my requirement, infact it meets just one, its 120Hz (with low ghosting). Which is the issue and remains the issue I have with the current 120Hz monitors.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The reason you don't see it is because no market for it. It takes lots of R&D costs and revamping the line to just put on a new monitor. The reason you saw a flood of 1900x1080 monitors is because the VERY FEW places that make panels has that already in mass production. Monitor panels don't follow any rules and getting bigger and faster. Monitors follow make it cheaper.

Providing a monitor for %95 of consumers just makes sense vs the %5 of professionals/gamer.

The single worse thing that happened to computer monitors is Consoles. You never see R&D invested anymore for just computers, the panels being put out all focus on TV designs.

Lots of people don't remember this, but CRT monitors used to change as fast as CPU/GPU tech did.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Sounds like you want a Sony FW900. Only criteria it doesn't meet is that it only does 1920x1200 at 85hz, not 120.