What home generator should I get for the hurricane season?

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
A friend of mine has a Torro that he bought last year for about $750. I don?t know the size but I think it?s 50/50 something.

I like Honda but they are probably pricey. All I want is something to run 2 refrigerators a fan a lamp and a small TV. Anyone have any idea on what size or brand I should be looking at? First hand information would be appreciated.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
How often do you actually lose power?
Last season in Jacksonville Fla we were down five times. It varies from 18 hours to 4 days.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
A lot of factors go into that purchase and setup.
Do you have a gas hot water/stove?
What do you want to do with the power?
Do you intend to hard wire it to the house circuits or just drag some cords in?
Dragging in cords is easy and cheap.
If you intend to hard wire or even jumper it to the house, you must buy a proper disconnect switch. Without that, you could kill the linemen working on getting your power back up by back-energizing the system.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: skyking
A lot of factors go into that purchase and setup.
Do you have a gas hot water/stove?
What do you want to do with the power?
Do you intend to hard wire it to the house circuits or just drag some cords in?
Dragging in cords is easy and cheap.
If you intend to hard wire or even jumper it to the house, you must buy a proper disconnect switch. Without that, you could kill the linemen working on getting your power back up by back-energizing the system.
I dont have gas but I forgot to add a microwave to the list. No hard wire just cords.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Add up all the power that you will need to run off it and find a unit that will give you 50% more than that.

During Andrew, the $700-$900 ones sold at Home Depot were doing the job nicely.

Brought down 3 from up North for friends; biggest problem after that was keeping the fuel supplied; They had to go north 50 miles to fill up fuel cans.

Once you get one, determine how long it will run on the fuel tank; Then plan for 3-4 days with of fuel storage capacity.

A simple 5 gallon can can suffice for emergency use until a storm shows up, then fill the reserves.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
a 5000 watt unit will do what you want. If you go honda power, it will be quieter/more expensive. Tecumseh/briggs powered units can be had for $700 or so.
home depot link.
A honda unit with less rated watts and suge watts is $1200.
Either way you go, lock that thing up and secure it somehow, and put it away when you are away from the house. I prefer the honda powered products for the ease of starting and reliability. I have not had one blow up or fail on me yet. I worked for sears repairing small engines way back when, and the same could not be said for the cheap motors.
Onan power is also expensive but worth it.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
I just got off the phone with the Ronnie's guy, where I bought my Toro mower from. They recommended the Honda EU300is for about $1899. It?s suppose to be super quiet and runs for about 20 hrs at 1/2 load.

I guess that should be good enough for cycling 1 refrigerator at a time and all the other stuff. I remember how quiet everything got when the power went away so quiet is good. He also recommended a good 10 gauge 50' max extension cord and a moving dolly cause it weighs 134 lbs dry.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: FlashG
I just got off the phone with the Ronnie's guy, where I bought my Toro mower from. They recommended the Honda EU300is for about $1899. It?s suppose to be super quiet and runs for about 20 hrs at 1/2 load.

I guess that should be good enough for cycling 1 refrigerator at a time and all the other stuff. I remember how quiet everything got when the power went away so quiet is good. He also recommended a good 10 gauge 50' max extension cord and a moving dolly cause it weighs 134 lbs dry.

If 3kW max / 2.8 kW rated is all you need, then take a look at the Kipor KGE3500Ti (distributed by usakipor.com). It's based on the same engine and inverter technology as the Honda EU3000is and the Yamaha EF3000iSE/B, except it's almost 50% less expensive.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ATLien247
Originally posted by: FlashG

If 3kW max / 2.8 kW rated is all you need, then take a look at the Kipor KGE3500Ti (distributed by usakipor.com). It's based on the same engine and inverter technology as the Honda EU3000is and the Yamaha EF3000iSE/B, except it's almost 50% less expensive.

L:ink???

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
L:ink???

Like I said (but didn't link), they are distributed by USA Kipor. You can find authorized dealers for yourself.

I noticed that a majority of the authorized dealers do not have an on-line presence. Of those that do, the prices listed are usually from $1000-1100 with free S&H.

Also, it looks like http://www.kiporgenerators.com has the most professional looking web site, FWIW.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Well so far it looks like the 5550/8550 Troy Built at Lowes is going to get my $649. We looked at Home Depot, Sears, Yamaha and Honda today.

If money was no object I would have gone for the Honda EU300 or Yamaha EF3000iAE/B. I think that ATLien247 's Kipor KGE3500Ti is a best buy in the Inverter market but finances dictate a noisey, thirsty gen set. I also like the Kipor because it's base is located in my home State of Michigan. "Millenium Products, LLC, 6346 Heron Parkway, Clarkston"