What have YOU given up due to the current economic climate?

MemoryInAGarden

Oct 26, 2003
News of the recession is beaten into our heads 24/7 with the cable news cycle, complete with stores of heartache and loss for those affected. What have you given up, if anything, as a result of current economic conditions?

My income has not decreased and I am still employed. However, the recession has caused me to look at wasteful expenditures and reduce or eliminate them.

The greatest discretionary expense I had every month were bar trips. I spent around $500 at a single bar in October. This isn't a healthy thing to do even during the fat times, and this summer my bar trips have been reduced to one or two times per month for special occasions.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Food
weekend trips with my daughter
any driving that isn't absolutely necessary

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I gave up upgrading any of my PC/Servers this year.

Not really because of the economy though, more because I just bought a house. :p TBH the economy has not really affected me at all. I still have a job, I'm still getting paid the same, I still get a bonus and shares every year, and I still get a random sum of money from Google adsense every now and then.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
nothing... bad me

Although I am very frugal and don't spend a lot to begin with, plus I have almost everything I want/need.

OUCaptain

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I've been without cable tv or landline broadband for a year. I've been living on OTA tv and a sprint broadband card in my laptop form work. I'm moving next month and cutting my rent in half so I can get back to the civilized tech world.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
nothing... bad me

Although I am very frugal and don't spend a lot to begin with, plus I have almost everything I want/need.

This.

I've noticed there are no jobs at all, at least in this area. I have a few friends who lost theirs for unrelated reasons, and they haven't found work since. Other than that, no big deal since I don't use credit, and live VERY VERY cheaply.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Hmm, lets see

My Job
My Car Insurance
College in the fall
Much less food
No new clothes
No eating out

All I have in my pocket is $0.75 and my dad has $5 in his pocket.

This sucks. I blame all those stupid politicians.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Hmm, lets see

My Job
My Car Insurance
College in the fall
Much less food
No new clothes
No eating out

All I have in my pocket is $0.75 and my dad has $5 in his pocket.

This sucks. I blame all those stupid politicians.

Sounds like you're living the dream life like I am :^(

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: lxskllr

Im about to say screw it, pack up my bags, and become a traveling gypsy until the economy picks up, no joke. :(

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I've had to completely change my life plan, or I guess delay it for 2 years. Due to economy my job out of college fell though, so I'm going back to grad school. And now because of that I'm back to keeping my food costs low, and trying to walk as much as I can instead of driving.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Im about to say screw it, pack up my bags, and become a traveling gypsy until the economy picks up, no joke. :(

I've thought the exact same thing. I can't due to my girl, but otherwise... There's something to be said for total freedom :^)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't think my job is in danger or anything, but I've become a bit more frugal to save money to boost my rainy day fund, just in case.

fewer trips to whole foods, buying generic, eating out less often, relying on hulu instead of renting dvds, etc. I also canceled hbo/showtime a couple months ago and switched to a cheaper cellphone plan.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

And that's the reason why you're in a bad situation. Cus you give up.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I gave up my job, and subsequently my apartment in Scottsdale (moved home to live with parents while I look for another job). Haven't bought any new tech toys since I got laid off. Had the opportunity to travel and spent time helping out with various family stuff (sister moving to SD, dad moving offices, etc). Hoping to hear from at least one of two potential employers before the long weekend..

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Eating out less and living at home with my parents during the summer. It's surprising how much money I'm saving.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
All us people saving our money is why the economy sucks!! Shame on us.

We need to spend spend spend!

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Haven't given up anything. Actually planning a trip, so if anything I'm spending more money.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: zerocool84

And that's the reason why you're in a bad situation. Cus you give up.

Not really. When you live in a small town with not so many jobs and you loose the ability to drive to a different town, your pretty much fucked.

Also, all the general labor jobs are already taken by people just like me who applied earlier than me.