What have I done now?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
DFI UT P35 motherboard, Q6700, Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, HD4850, Corsair HX520.
CPU was Prime95 stable @ 8x400 & 10x333. Attempted 10x350 & nothing. Rebooted & got bios checksum error & no keyboard & mouse detected. I held down on the reset then power for 4 seconds to clear the CMOS, but that didn't help. I then went & pulled the battery & cleared the CMOS w/the jumper, but that didn't help either.
The error code I got is C1 which, according to the chart here, is a memory issue. I took one of the sticks out, then tried both sticks individually to no avail. I then tried a stick of the cheap HP ram from last year, but still got the same error code.
I unplugged the ATX cable, took the battery out, & moved the clear CMOS jumper again & left it overnight. Hooked everything back up this morning & got the same message.
Now what?

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I had a similar issue with my DFI board. I just kept fiddling with it until it finally decided to boot.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Try taking it down to JUST the basics. CPU, one stick of memory (try a different slot if it still doesn't boot), graphics card, monitor, and a PS2 keyboard if available. Take out any sound cards, second graphics cards, extra memory, USB accessories, mouse, etc.

If that STILL doesn't boot (try a different stick of memory first), I'd RMA the motherboard.

You weren't pushing any crazy voltages, right?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tullphan
DFI UT P35 motherboard, Q6700, Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, HD4850, Corsair HX520.
CPU was Prime95 stable @ 8x400 & 10x333. Attempted 10x350 & nothing. Rebooted & got bios checksum error & no keyboard & mouse detected. I held down on the reset then power for 4 seconds to clear the CMOS, but that didn't help. I then went & pulled the battery & cleared the CMOS w/the jumper, but that didn't help either.
The error code I got is C1 which, according to the chart here, is a memory issue. I took one of the sticks out, then tried both sticks individually to no avail. I then tried a stick of the cheap HP ram from last year, but still got the same error code.
I unplugged the ATX cable, took the battery out, & moved the clear CMOS jumper again & left it overnight. Hooked everything back up this morning & got the same message.
Now what?

Did you unplug the PSU from the wall when you did this? (simply switching off the PSU power button is not enough, you must truly unplug that PSU from the mobo while clearing your CMOS even with the battery pulled)

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Yes...I pulled the power cord, tried different ram, took the cpu out & reseated it & I still get the same msg.
The most voltage I was using was 1.36V.
Gilbot, just exactly how did you "fiddle" with it?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
This is a speculative suggestion, striking out in the darkness. I mentioned replacing the BIOS PLCC chip. You could wear a ground-strap, then pull the PLCC chip and re-socket.

As I said, I had a similar problem with similar symptoms. I replaced the PLCC chip with a $27 purchase from BIOSMan.com. With the new chip in, it still didn't want to boot. Then I reset the CMOS again and pulled the CPU and then replace it, and all was whoopy-doo wonderful again.

You may not be so fortunate though. I got an RMA # from ASUS good for a month as I struggled to fix it, then let the RMA lapse.

We all must be masochistic gluttons for punishment with this hobby. My non-Geek friends tell me to "just buy a Dell," or "Have you thought about buying an Apple?" My response: "Why do you think people go surfing, even in shark-infested waters? Because they get a kick out of it!"

Our kicks seem to come in the seat of the pants, in sleepless nights and lost weekends, and wallets that leak money like buckets with holes in the bottom.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
yes i've had BIOS chips go corrupt on me in the past (778 ECS board twice, and once on an socket A board)
got my replacements from badflash.com for like 20 bucks

but keep trying untill all options are exhausted

good luck

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
How about leaving it alone overnight? I had a Gigabyte P965 board that would do that when I was trying to find a good overclock. Sometimes it wouldn't POST even after trying to jumper-clear the CMOS... until I let it sit a couple hours. Very irritating. I gave up trying to find a high OC on it. It still OCs fine, but just can't take it anywhere close to what some others have gotten on it.