What happens when your motherboard battery goes dead ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RPatrick6, Jul 21, 2006.

1. RPatrick6

RPatrick6 Member

How long do those batteries last in the motherboard and what happens when they die ?

My computer's clock has been losing the correct time for the last two days and I am wondering if this is the problem.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - motherboard battery dead Forum Date
    Are all batteries for motherboard bios the same? General Hardware Nov 27, 2007
    CMOS Battery for 486 Motherboard General Hardware Jan 6, 2006
    just replaced my motherboards battery General Hardware Jul 9, 2005
    Is there any way to use a laptop battery with an ATX motherboard? General Hardware Mar 18, 2005
    battery/motherboard problem General Hardware Jan 26, 2005

3. ScrapSilicon

ScrapSilicon Lifer

cr2032.. cheap for a possible fix..gl :)

4. Baked

Baked Lifer

You take the battery to radio shack and get a new one. They last real long as long as you have the system plugged in. I haven't changed my bios battery for a couple years.

5. JoeFahey

JoeFahey Platinum Member

Go to Radio Shack, show them the battery, and pay about $4 for a new one. Make sure you get the same battery though, if you don't it will do damage.
    I just recently had to replace the battery on my old gateway. It's about 3+ years old. You don't need to really be concerned about it for atleast 2 years. And sometimes it will be much longer then this. One thing you might want to purchase is a multimeter (voltmeter). It will give you a reading on your battery and tell you if it's dead or not, or how much juice is left in it.

I've always refered to them as cmos batteries. Am I wrong?

6. soydios

soydios Platinum Member

They power the CMOS, yes.
    Quick and cheap way to tell, as others have mentioned, is by going to Radio Shack and buying a replacement battery.
    These batteries last a long time, though. I have an old Gateway 2000 machine from 1994 (Pentium-I Socket-5 90MHz FTW!), that was sitting in the garage for 4+ years. I pulled it back into the house, booted it up, checked the BIOS, and the time was only 10 seconds slow.

7. RPatrick6

RPatrick6 Member

Thanks for all the replies !

To radio shack I go...

8. Raincity

Raincity Diamond Member

One way to tell is to unplug the pc for a couple of hours then plug it back in and power it back up. If it takes 30 seconds before it will power up then the battery is ready to go.

9. JimPhelpsMI

JimPhelpsMI Golden Member

Hi, The battery could last up to about 8 years as there is practically no current draw by the CMOS SETUP Mem. Usually you start losing the Time and Date, probably by design as a warning that the batt is going down. Later you start losing everything in the SETUP. Every time you leave it off for a couple of hours the time and date are lost. BIOS today usually has a feature to tell you the voltage of the batt. New is 3 Volts and probably good in most MBS down to about 2.5 volts.

Good Luck, Jim

10. Blain

Blain Lifer

I got 20 of them off ebay for $8.50 shipped. They come in very handy when working on older systems, some newer ones too.
    Yes... "CR2032" is the key search term to look for. :D