What happens to a USPS package when it hasn't been claimed after a month?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CarpeDeo, Jan 27, 2005.

1. CarpeDeo

CarpeDeo Golden Member

I purchased some books on Amazon and sent the package via USPS to a friend's address late December. I totally didn't follow up on it, and realized that the package was never delivered to my friend. So I checked the confirmation number, and the status says that it's "unclaimed."

I couldn't find any information on what it means to be "unclaimed" on the website. Does this mean that the shipment will be returned to sender? Just sit in the warehouse 'til it's claimed? Destroyed?? Anybody know?

BTW- the tracking # is: 9102049390094171212859 if you want to take a look.

2. kranky

kranky Elite Member

Sounds like that's worth a phone call to the USPS.

I had something kind of similar happen last month. FedEx called me and said a package coming to me from Lands End was destroyed in shipment and wasn't going to be delivered. I hadn't ordered anything from them so it was probably a Christmas gift from someone. I called Lands End and they said since I didn't know who ordered it they couldn't help me as they can't look up orders by the ship-to address.

Bottom line is that someone bought and paid for a gift that I'm never going to receive and the person who sent it doesn't even know. I'm hoping whoever it is will come out and ask me about it but they probably figure that since I never thanked them I can go take a flying leap.

3. CarpeDeo

CarpeDeo Golden Member

Anybody else know?

4. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

I'm not sure about USPS, but I think canada post does a return-to-sender after 15 days. I'm not sure what USPS' policy is, probably a similar idea though.

5. tarheelmm

tarheelmm Golden Member

Probably same as this....