What happens if you overdraw on your checking account and dont pay it back on time?

rlism

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2001
You get phatty fined? Your check will bounce?

How do you owe money on your checking account? Do you have overdraft protection?

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
I'm not sure. You don't go to jail, do you?

I don't have enough to pay it back right now. I did something very very stupid and no i cannot correct it. I'll pay it back eventually, I mean, I know this will probably mess my credit up right now... damn, im FVCKED.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
How do you over-draw on a checking? If I don't got cash in mine it'll bounce and I can't use my check card. How in the hell did you do that? :)

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
I have no clue man. But it overdrew, and the money went to my cc. Weird huh?

Oh well, as long as I don't go to jail. Can't have that happen to me. If it does mean I'll go to jail I'll friggn sell my rig real fast. I can get a good grand + for this rig.

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
This is my fault so please dont post "how stupid i am, and how much of a dumbass i am for overdrawing." I already know its my fault, Thanks guys. I just wanna know what are the consequences?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Some banks will cover the overdrawn amount up to a certain dollar amount. Then they subtract that from your next deposit. I don't think you can go to jail, but they can freeze your account and give you penalty fees up the asssss. It would also depend on how long you go without paying it.

David

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
When you say you overdrew and the money went to your cc, do you mean your cc was charged for the amount short in your checking account? You might have your card linked which would be good, I'd guess you'll have to pay cash advance fees + the usual interest, but that is better than NSF fees.

rlism

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2001
You overdrew to pay off your CC? or you overdrew it and your credit card covered overdraft?

Don't worry, you probably won't go to jail unless you intentionally did something malicious. Most likely they'll just hold your account, reverse something, or just fine you.

Cooltech2k

Banned
Feb 9, 2001
Dude My Accound is in the negitives like every week. Nothing Really Happens except that You have to Pay it back before you can wright any checks or use your ATM Card.

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
as an ex bank teller, Wells Fargo at least would do the following:

1) Original overdraft item - Fee ~$25
2) Additional overdraft items - Fee ~$25 EACH (better hope you don't have ALOT of checks outstanding
3) Over Five Days overdrawn in a row - account is frozen.

Repeat offenses start requiring NO CASH available from deposits. All deposits must clear before any cash can be removed. Meaning no or little cash back from paycheck being deposited. Checks overdrawn will be returned.

It depends on how long your account has been open, your average balance, and several other factors as to when the last items start kicking in.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
if you stay overdrawn for say 3 weeks, the bank will close your account, and report you to "CHEXSYSTEMS". All banks use this credit reporting agency. You will never ever ever get another checking account at any branch that uses chexsystems until 5 years later.

Suicidal

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
I just went through this. I moved and closed my checking account and i thought all my checks cleared before this but a few cleared after i closed. Now this wouldn't have been so bad had the bank let me know but since i moved they didn't get ahold of me until 3 weeks after this happened. I ended up paying 260 dollars for a 20 dollar check. Most banks charge you a daily fine.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No jail for $300, but see if you can borrow some from someone and pay that back ASAP

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Don't try it. It costs an arm and a leg. (sometimes)

My bank charges customers $29 for overdrawn, $29 for each check bounced back from overdrawn checking account and $2 every day before it's cleared. In addition, the credit company or whatever place got your bounced check may charge you $20-$29 for that. In summary, you may end up with hundreds of dollars fine if you are not careful.

propellerhead

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2001
Go fix it. Pay whatever fine. If you ever need to get a security clearance for some cool hi-tech classified project, this will come up.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
It depends on your past account history, but my credit union would have frozen the account already, meaning they won't process any checks at all until you make a deposit large enough to cover your overdraft. Assuming you do that soon, there may not be any penalty at all - they generally will tack on a bunch of fees and might make you link a savings account with overdraft protection to your checking account, but that'd be the worst thing they'd do if you paid it back.

If you don't pay it back, there's a good chance they'll use your driver's license number to prevent you from getting another checking account until you pay it. They may also take you to collections and obviously that wouldn't be good for your credit rating.

It really depends on your bank and what kind of history you have there. I've been a member of my credit union for a very long time and they'd be willing to cut me some slack because I've always been a good member who maintained a good balance and had several kinds of accounts. Bigger banks might not be as willing to work with you.

Either way, while it's not something fun to have happen to you, you're not going to go to jail, unless you're overdrawn because of some fraud, like check kiting. Even then, it'd probably be a misdemeanor, given the amount, so you'd get off with a fine and maybe probation.

Keribeth

Mar 28, 2001
If it went to your credit card i dont think you have to worry about it other than paying off your credit card. thats what overdraft protection is for and you usually pay for this feature. Maybe you got it and didnt know? anyways, it dpends on the bank. i had a similar problem as suicidal..when i moved, i thought i had left plenty in the account, but some checks got cashed late. I only got one 25 dollar fee for 3 bounced checks. My b/f overdrew on a friday and couldnt make a deposit untill the next tuesday because monday was a holiday. His bank charged him 75 dollars ($25 per day).

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You definitely wont go to jail, but you'll pay some kind of fine depending on the bank's policy. Here in CT, I overdrew because I had automatic withdrawal from the gym I go to. I didnt realize it and one day I noticed I was in the red. I got a notice from the bank that because it was the first time it had happened they weren't going to charge me the $25 penalty. I made sure I made a deposit right away and I was fine. Didnt affect my credit rating. This was at People's Bank.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
First thing you should do is call the bank and let them know what's going on. Just tell them, i messed up and overdrew my account, and it will probably take me a couple of weeks to get the balance back positive, but i plan to do just that. A little bit of honesty and being proactive goes a long way. If you get a sympathetic phone rep, they might even be willing to hook you up with a temporary fee waiver since you came to them to tell them what is going on. Just don't hide and hope that the situation goes away, because it won't....

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
www.scorepower.com

$12.95 to get the score that all creditors use against you..

400-600 you suck.
600-650 is okay credit
650-700 is good credit
700+ is stellar credit.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

<< how do i check my credit rating? >>

Easy, and free if you do it the right way. Simply apply for a loan, a big loan, one that you know you'll get turned down for. Asking for a personal line of credit works well for this purpose. Whenever you are turned down for a loan and/or credit, you are entitled by law to recieve a free copy of your credit report (the one from the major 3, Experian, Equifax, and TRW).

Not only that, since the company that refuses your credit is obligated to pay for it, it's ideal for getting them to stop soliciting you... i don't get nearly as many of those &quot;here's a check for $50,000, just open a home-equity line of credit with us!&quot; Stupid idiots, my address, the one that you sent the solicitation to, shows that i live in an apartment..... needless to say, i haven't been accepted for one of those home equity line offers yet, but since i did do as they asked and applied (and was turned down), got a free credit report out of the deal.