what happens if you forget to show up to jury duty?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OS, Jul 14, 2003.

1. dighn

dighn Lifer

2. Ronstang

Ronstang Lifer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....another reason not to live in that screwed up state....and you actually believe it? Come on. Why would they waste their time chasing people who don't show up for jury duty when they can't even PROVE you received the summons? THINK!!! Most dubasses fall for the threat and show up. And before you start giving me crap I have been to jury duty over 10 times and I will never be called for a jury since I'm white, educated, male, under the age of 50, and a conservative with a sense of logic so I stopped reporting a few years back (they called me every year) and they haven't called me since.

3. Ylen13

Ylen13 Banned

do i really think they will do it, not sure,mostlikely not

4. AnyMal

AnyMal Lifer

that's exactly what they're doing, pulling names from DMV records.

5. Ronstang

Ronstang Lifer

Everyone needs to go to jury duty a few times, then they should not be bothered anymore. Do your time it is quite interesting. It is a complete waste of time for me though since the cases I always sit in on are criminal cases involving minorities accused of violent crimes and thus no lawyer wants me sitting on the jury and applying reason and logic to the case presented......their goal is to get their guy off, remember. I'm not implying that just because a guy is a minority he is guilty....but most lawyers assume a guy who fits my profile will, or they feel they can't sway me from the actual facts since most people like me use reason and not emotion when making decisions.

6. jagr10

jagr10 Golden Member

Do you get paid for this?

7. Ylen13

Ylen13 Banned

ye minimum wage i think+something like.10c per mile to the court house from your house

8. dolph

dolph Diamond Member

9. guyver01

guyver01 Lifer

i always go... i get paid by my job anyways, so i'm not losing money.... and if i get interviewed for a jury... i'm bias and racist in my answers so that i never get picked anyways... its so easy to give them an answer they dont want to hear..

last year i got called for jury duty... after 2 days i finally got called to interview for a case...and it was armed robbery. luckily (or maybe not so?) my father, and my best friend, were held at gunpoint by a robber... so i told 'em all freaking robbers must die.

needless to say i didnt get selected.

it's a 3-day paid day off... <shrug> why not go?

10. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

My dad was able to get his rescheduled because he went to the judge in advance. His was set for 2 days before one of my cousin's weddings. His new one is set for one week before my parents go on a cruise. DOH!

11. astroview

astroview Golden Member

Actually, quire a few states do #1-3. And in some small podunk towns in the middle of IL, I've heard of judges actually doing #2 because there they don't get enough people showing up. So what screwed up state do you live in Ronstang?

Also as for the proving the letter was delivered. It's a legal assumption generally that you recieved the notice.

12. dtmbb92

dtmbb92 Senior member

i was told that if you didn't show up for jury duty without telling the court ahead of time, that they would come and arrest you the day that you were to appear for duty. Then you had to explain to the judge why you didn't come.

13. Yax

Yax Platinum Member

Yup, maybe even jail time. Just forget about it and if they ever ask you, just say you never saw it.

14. Yax

Yax Platinum Member

WRONG!!! You'd be fined for being "irresponsible". I saw a guy come in to the court house one week after his scheduled date and claimed he forgot. They slapped him with a notice to see the judge for sentencing. They say to expect a fine.

15. NikPreviousAcct

NikPreviousAcct No Lifer

You feel terrible about yourself for not supporting a system that may, one day, save your ass.

:p

Just kidding.

16. slycat

slycat Diamond Member

u get a letter saying u didn't show up..they missed u..now show up to explain why or
    u'll be incarcerated.

17. NikPreviousAcct

NikPreviousAcct No Lifer

That's how it's supposed to go, but some government offices are in such disarray that things that aren't huge cases don't get done. Oh well.