What happens if one installs Catalyst without uninstalling the old version ?

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by turn_pike, May 16, 2014.

1. turn_pike

turn_pike Senior member

Just like the title says.

I installed windows 8, let it update to windows 8.1
    Then I installed Catalyst 14.4 for my HD 7870 without uninstalling the old version (windows put catalyst version 13.something automatically so I forgot about it).

The installation went smoothly but I haven't actually played any games.
    Should I went through the whole thing against i.e. uninstall 14.4 and install it again ?
    What are your experience when doing this ?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - installs Catalyst uninstalling Forum Date
    After installing AMD Catalyst, dragging icons on desktop is not smooth Video Cards and Graphics Dec 15, 2014
    Catalyst CAP profiles not in install/uninstall list Video Cards and Graphics Nov 4, 2012
    Dumb question: "Express Uninstall" with ATI Catalyst Install Manager and AMD chipset Video Cards and Graphics Jul 13, 2012
    Is it still required to uninstall Catalyst drivers before re-installing Video Cards and Graphics Nov 13, 2005
    Uninstall old Catalyst drivers or install new over old? Video Cards and Graphics Feb 24, 2005

3. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

I would expect it to work. If you find there's a performance / stability problem directly after updating, then try reverting, uninstalling then updating.

I can't remember having any problems updating drivers of the type you're suggesting, but then I've stopped updating drivers since AMD finally released a driver that generally works with my 5770.

4. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Have always updated AMD gpu drivers across the old AMD drivers without any problems for years. I'd not worry about it unless you come across specific problems.

5. MeldarthX

MeldarthX Golden Member

depends.....some say it can cause universal destruction; causing a paradox hole to rip open and swallow all known universes......

Or not ;) beta drivers you'll want to uninstall old drivers for...official drivers tend to play a bit better.....;)

6. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

I have had it break but only with particular upgrades. If you flick about between beta and whql drivers then the difference with profiles embedded can sometimes result in corrupted installs. I had it happen twice in a 6 month period but that was a year ago. Whether it works properly really depends on AMD and how they prepare the installers.

7. DigDog

DigDog Diamond Member

anything and nothing. more often than not, nothing weird happens.

8. Techhog

Techhog Platinum Member

Unless you're using beta drivers or your current drivers are giving you issues, just install over it. You most likely won't have any issues. If you do, just uninstall and reinstall. There's no major risk, really.

9. NTMBK

NTMBK Diamond Member

Catalystception.

10. flash-gordon

flash-gordon Member

As someone who just did that some hours ago I don't recommend. I got blue screen with some atikmdag.sys error...