What happens if I fail to respond to a jury summon in CA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RoloMather, Nov 10, 2008.

1. loki8481

loki8481 Lifer

I don't know anyone who's ever been arrested for skipping jury duty.

2. manlymatt83

manlymatt83 Diamond Member

oh please, they would send him to jail, not prison. PMITA doesn't happen in Jail AFAIK.

3. Rumpltzer

Rumpltzer Diamond Member

The don't do anything at all.

I was in Santa Barbara going to school, and I had a language class that met every weekday. I got a summons and I called to explain that if I missed the class, there was no way to make it up. The lady on the phone said to me, "being a student doesn't exempt you from jury duty." I pointed out to her that it was easy for her to say because she wasn't the one who was the student.

She offered to put off my jury duty until spring break, but I had already bought a plane ticket to leave the country. I offered to go during the summer but the lady on the phone said they couldn't schedule more than 90 days into the future.

We were at a stand-off and the lady said to me, "You can either come now or you can come during your spring break. Those are your two choices." I pointed out to her that that wasn't true; I could just not come at all. She told me that it was a misdemeanor or something if I didn't show up. I told her to come get me and I hung up.

Clearly, they knew where I lived and I was there for another two years. No one ever came. I'm a freaking fugitive!! :Q

4. Locut0s

Locut0s Lifer

Well the system is designed to get random people on the jury. Can't do much if your average random person isn't the brightest.

5. JC86

JC86 Senior member

my brother got a summons twice and ignored it twice (he was in asia both times) and nothing happened. I got mine and reported and basically spent a day in a waiting room before being questioned and released. While it is technically illegal and you're running the risk of getting fined for it, they don't seem to bother with trying to enforce every summons. My guess is that if they need 150 jurors for Weds, they'll send out 300 summons and assume half won't even show up.
    That being said, I thought it was a great experience to see our legal process at work and you are doing your civic duty. . . . one day is not a lot to ask. Obviously, if you get selected, that is a totally different story but if you're selected, you get paid time off from work and you get a per diem of approximaly 10 bucks a day if i'm not mistaken.

6. illusion88

illusion88 Lifer

Wow, I never realized your civic duty was so hard to actually do.

In CA you call a number between certain hours to find out if you have to come in that day or the next. I never had to go in once.

7. dawp

dawp Diamond Member

happened to my daughter after we moved from the Ft. Worth, TX area to Kansas City, Mo area. she could not go, no longer lived there and all she did was to contact them and that was that.

8. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

I suppose it depends on the presiding judge.

I live in GA, and have been summoned many times (probably 7-8 now). There was one judge who was apparently in a bad mood and he directed the Clerk of Courts to issue bench warrants for everyone that didn't show up. However, these were people who had filled out the interrogatory but didn't actually show up for court. If you didn't fill out the interrogatory, my guess is that they'll just send you another one within the next year.

9. geno

geno Lifer

10. Born2bwire

Born2bwire Diamond Member

In Illinois, I had to go in and there I was assigned a number and filled out preliminary paperwork. After that, a few of us were told to report to courtrooms for selection and the rest were let go for the day. Each night we had to call in to see if we needed to report the following day, and so on for the rest of the week until we were told explicitly not to. I got assigned to a trial on the first day and it lasted two and a half days. I found the whole experience to be very rewarding and I think people should go through it to have an appreciation for the system that we have.

11. Lumathix

Lumathix Golden Member

I agree.

Oh, and OP is a douchebag, as are most of the people in this thread.

That is all.

12. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

No, your workplace is NOT required to continue to pay you while you're on jury duty. Some places will do it to help encourage people to do their civic duty and not lose pay for that time, other places have it in negotiated in a union contract, but (at least in Kahleeforneeya) your employer is NOT required to pay you.

13. imported_Imp

imported_Imp Diamond Member

Did you sleep well after you hung up? Not suggesting you should feel bad for skipping jury duty, more concerned about how paranoid you were of someone actually coming to knock on your door.

14. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Call them and reschedule.

15. waffleironhead

waffleironhead Diamond Member

my response ---------------------

your head--------------------------

16. BrokenVisage

BrokenVisage Lifer

*tacks half-an-R onto the grand total*

17. jtvang125

jtvang125 Diamond Member

They very likely will not send someone out to get you but they can put a warrant on you. If you get pulled over for any driving violation that's when they'll get you. Doubt they'll arrest you but probably write you a ticket that requires you to show up in court.

18. marvdmartian

marvdmartian Diamond Member

They'll quietly put out the word that you were the main opposing organizer that helped to defeat Prop 8. You'll have all sorts of new friends in no time!! ;)

19. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Is it just me or is my county one of the few that utilize the Internet? We can either call in or go online to see the previous evening whether we have to go in or not tomorrow. Then again, we ARE Silicon Valley.

20. hanoverphist

hanoverphist Diamond Member

since they get paid to do that job, they would be failing at that and probably get fired if done too many times. as a voter/ jury member, im not being paid. well, i guess jury duty pays, just not very well. pull the head out of your rectal region and realize the difference.

21. funkymatt

funkymatt Diamond Member

Despite having more money, Orange County does not have any internet conveniences. Traffic school must be done at a courthouse, and you have to call in for jury duty.

22. Sphexi

Sphexi Diamond Member

I never once got a jury summons, for like the 10 years that I was eligible. I registered to vote on my 18th birthday, voted in each election since then, nothing. I guess there just aren't many worthwhile trials in Vermont. Now I live in Canada so I'll probably never get one, since I'm not a citizen.

23. OCGuy

OCGuy Lifer

I've always ignored them, nothing has ever really happened.

I would never get picked for a jury anyway.

24. jonks

jonks Lifer

25. Vehemence

Vehemence Banned

They inject you with AIDS.