What happens if General Musharrif is Deposed/Killed in Pakistan?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: asadasif
I did not intend to sidetrack this discussion. I just presented my point of view which is open to positive feedback, critiscism and correction.
India might have provided assistance for civilian purposes which again might have been used for Iran's nuclear program development by the Iranian government. Likewise, same could have been the case for Pakistan.
Both countries had selfish motives with intentions of taking advantage of the situation to some extent (though sorrow for the victims of 9/11 was there too on each side)but how is that diffferent from other countries that are part of the coalition???
I never said that India did any sort of nuclear blackmailing or like. I clearly said said it was by Israel.
On the issue of dragging India into this discussion and sidetracking this discussion, I already stated my answer at the beginning of the post.

Your post clarifies the issues specifically invoking India that I felt could be misconstrued by others. Thanks :)

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

Pakistan: the west's soft centre

If Musharraf is assassinated, the war on terror will also be a victim

Peter Preston
Monday December 29, 2003
The Guardian

Here is one terrorist threat even Tony Blair doesn't need to vamp up. It is self-evidently real and ominously recurrent. If, one day soon, it claims its target, then the world of Bush and Blair - plus their so-called war against Osama and chums - will be rocked to its core. The peril couldn't be greater, the edifice more ripe for toppling. Yet somehow, when these bombs go off, we shrug and look away. Somehow we don't make the connections.
Consider the chill facts, though. Twice, during the 10 days before Christmas, General Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's president, has narrowly survived highly professional assassination attempts. First, the bridge he was travelling over near Islamabad was destroyed by five separate charges only seconds after his car made it to the other side. (An electronic blocking device in his limo bought him the fraction of time that saved his life.)

Then, as if to signal al-Qaida's return to more tested methods, a Rawalpindi suicide attack killed 14 people and injured nearly 50. Musharraf, again, escaped by seconds. How many more lives does this president have left?

Not too many, perhaps. He wasn't, on either occasion, following an advertised route. He and his guards were proceeding privately from point A to point B. His would-be killers weren't leaning on a lamppost in case a nice little target passed by. They knew he was coming. They knew where to plant sophisticated explosives. Their intelligence was perfect. They have an inside track. If they keep to it, they'll surely get him in the end. Which is when the core really starts to rock.

Without Pakistan on board, Afghanistan cannot hold. Without Afghanistan, the campaign against terrorism turns to humiliation. Where's Osama? Somewhere in a cave near the border. Where are his men? Regrouping beyond the reach of the stretched forces George Bush has left behind. Musharraf, grimly pursuing his chosen course to the end, keeps Pakistan as the indispensable foundation of coalition activity. But what happens if he vanishes from the scene?

The bombers who try and try again aren't stupid. They've asked and answered that question, too. Pakistan hangs in a constitutional void. It has a president, self-selected and sanctified by a dodgy referendum. It doesn't have an anointed successor waiting to take over and carry on seamlessly if the worst happens, only a void.

etc.