Solved! What happened to the official Gigabyte forum?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I went to log in last night and it was gone with this message "It looks like this forum doesn't exist any more. The forum admin has opted to remove it from the ProBoards service. If you want, you can go ahead and create your own free forum with ProBoards! ". Went to the main Gigabyte site and used their link and got the same message. Any idea about what happened to them?

Solution
I was the head moderator at that forum. Gigabyte decided to abandon the forum and deleted it. They had not been involved with the forum for a few years, but they still owned the forum, and owned the domain. I am considering starting a new forum on my own, but I am not sure it would be worth the trouble since most of the information we had was lost when the forum was deleted. I am not sure it would ever bring in enough traffic to justify the effort. There are several other resources already available like here and tweaktown.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It would appear that my gigabyte aorus master x570 is going the way of that forum for today out of the blue different pcie based card started acting weird, lost sound and my top monitor output then various software started not working all the while no changes were being made by myself. Just to be sure I switched over to my laptop and sure enough keyboard and monitors behave as they should.

Normally when I boot up the desktop the optical output on the sound card will activate my speakers but even that stopped working so I had to manually switch over to them using the sound utility. My razer synapse no longer comes up nor does the evga sound console and there are no corrupt system files.

Several times I shut it down and it failed to post so I switch to the backup bios and even it was sluggish so I reflashed it but none of the problems after post changed. I'm so torn as I don't want to spend any more money on am4 but I already have a 5950x and 32gb ddr4 so moving to alderlake would cost me over $1k just for the mb, cpu and ddr5 and I don't know if my evga closed loop aio would work on that socket. BB has an Asus crosshair viii hero in stock and the good boards are drying up fast or are starting to be way overpriced. I love Asus but that only has 2 m.2 slots on it which is how I ended up with the gigabyte in the first place and the master is now around $500 on amazon.

I'm so tempted to just go all in on Intel and sell the cpu and ram to go against it.
I was just experiencing issues with PCIE storage on an Asus x570, using win11pro. Seemed to start after an update. It wouldn't see any of the drives at boot. Then after playing musical drives, they would intermittently stopped being seen. It gets stranger, I notice there is still a SATA cable plugged in to port 1. However, I stole that drive for external use around the house. I unplugged the cable, and everything works right again. No power, no drive, just that end of the cable plugged in. Why? I got nothin'.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
If only my problem were that simple. All of my cards attached to the pcie bus show device not started errors ever since yesterday afternoon when my keyboard lost all of its colored keys at the beginning of this ordeal. None of the device software can communicate with the devices on pcie or usb so I'm limping along on a wing and a prayer right now. My ethernet ports randomly freeze up now so sometimes pages don't load.

If it should fail before my new board arrives I'll just run off my laptop 5800h/3060 which can drive my monitors without issue. This should be a simple swap after moving some mounting hardware for the cpu block and uninstalling all of the gigabyte specific software. I was really hoping to not have to spend any more money on am4 but moving to alderlake costs more than I can spend right now.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well I got the new board installed and it refuses to start....with the caveat that the bad cpu light is glowing brightly like the northern star. Fortunately for me BB has the 5900x for just under $400 so I'm going to pick it up this morning and if that solves it then I'll RMA the 5950x.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
My sad saga of fail continues for I just returned home with the 5900X and it too gets a bad cpu light so the new board is bad and I will RMA it. I will also return the 5900X and just might take this opportunity to jump to LGA 1700 since the cost is in the same neighborhood.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
jump to LGA 1700 since the cost is in the same neighborhood.
Tread carefully. Even with LGA1700, a crappy mobo can ruin the experience. I have experience with the non-CSM version of this mobo: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-H610M-CT-TCO-Optimized-Commercial-Motherboard/dp/B09XJQHN2H/

This should be better as it is rated for operation in harsh environments. If the specs are OK for you, go with this and maybe an i5-12600 to avoid the E-core crap. I think this should be satisfactory for you.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Well I got the new board installed and it refuses to start....with the caveat that the bad cpu light is glowing brightly like the northern star. Fortunately for me BB has the 5900x for just under $400 so I'm going to pick it up this morning and if that solves it then I'll RMA the 5950x.
I do have a very stable 5950X system. I picked the memory with Samsung B-side ram on purpose. It's been a great experience so far.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Gigabyte used to be my go-to for motherboards for close to 20 years. I always thought Asus was a little better, but were more expensive than the Gigabyte offerings.

Then around 2016 - 2018, after dealing with three different Gigabyte motherboards that all had issues, I moved away from them. After that, the last 4 computers I built, two were Asus and two were Asrock. They all were a much better experience than I had with Gigabyte.

In fact, personally outside of Biostar (who in the U.S. builds with that brand anyways?), Gigabyte is at the bottom of the list among the "big 4" (Asus, MSI, Asrock, and Gigabyte). Even the other components they now offer like GPUs and PSUs don't inspire much faith in their design and QA.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
My sad saga of fail continues for I just returned home with the 5900X and it too gets a bad cpu light so the new board is bad and I will RMA it. I will also return the 5900X and just might take this opportunity to jump to LGA 1700 since the cost is in the same neighborhood.
What board are you using and is the BIOS updated for Ryzen 5000 series?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
What board are you using and is the BIOS updated for Ryzen 5000 series?
The new board was a MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX Gaming with the latest bios which I updated using the port on the rear since it wouldn't post and even after that it still wouldn't post with either cpu. Later I found several threads with people having the same issue but alas Amazon has already received the return so I'll have my refund soon.
1656266754756.jpeg

I went back to the gigabyte using the new 5900x and it works, fingers crossed. I submitted a tech support ticket with AMD for the 5950X so once that RMA is complete it will go back in the PC and the 5900X will be the backup. I had a 3900X for that purpose but I gave it to my mother so she could run W11.

Even though I was running a new build the CPU corrupted it even though it could pass sfc /scannow with no errors. I clean installed W11 22H2 22621.105 yesterday and everything now works like its supposed to. All apps install correctly and function normally so I can't complain apart from having to take the time to redo everything.

I read a little while ago that the soon to be released lga 1700 cpu's are some real powerhouses so I'll be keeping my eye on how they progress out the gate.

This somehow got me to thinking about the good old days when I was using Abit and DFI motherboards to run AMD cpu's.

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
AMD made me remove the 5900X and reinstall the 5950X so I could take a picture of it in the socket beside a piece of paper with their case number on it before they would RMA it. I reminded them that Intel has a CPU utility to generate a health report for customers during the RMA process. Maybe one day they will get around to creating one themselves.

At least they're paying the shipping back on it but I've wasted too much MX-5 already so I guess I need to buy another tube of it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, when I had to RMA the original 5900X I bought, the RMA center asked for a picture of it in the socket. I told them I already put the previous chip back in, and just took some pics of the 5900X in the clam shell. It worked out in the end, I don't think they pressed me on it if I recall. Anyway the 5900X replacement worked well and is currently in my other Ryzen rig, the one with the Gigabyte B350.

gaslight

Aug 21, 2010
I was the head moderator at that forum. Gigabyte decided to abandon the forum and deleted it.
most of the information we had was lost when the forum was deleted.

Sorry to hear that. I would never have been able to get my BIOS settings correct if it hadn't been for the help I got in that forum. It was a valuable resource.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I have found Gigabyte seems to keep updates current for their boards until they become obsoleted by the next generation and then they go silent. I have found much later drivers for my board from Intel.com. I started using them a few months ago with a mature Z490 chipset Aorus Extreme board so I had no issues once I updated it to the latest bios. No telling if they will ever update it again though, with Z590 and Z690 having replaced it already. With no forum for support one can only guess.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yeah, when I had to RMA the original 5900X I bought, the RMA center asked for a picture of it in the socket. I told them I already put the previous chip back in, and just took some pics of the 5900X in the clam shell. It worked out in the end, I don't think they pressed me on it if I recall. Anyway the 5900X replacement worked well and is currently in my other Ryzen rig, the one with the Gigabyte B350.
What was wrong with the 5900X? I've RMA'd many parts, but never a CPU.