What happened to forums?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Earlier today the whole Anandtech was real slow but now the site is fine but when you try the Forums it said 404 error I think. Anyway, it still doesn't work but I just brought up my history and tried going to
http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm? and that works fine. Yeah I don't think anyone else tried this since the most recent posts are around 1:50pm.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
*ssshhhhh* This goes higher into the Anandtech hierarchy than you could possibly imagine. Keep your mouth shut if you value your life.

:p

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
yeah the forums were down for a while, and the main site was busy as hell.....oh well, life goes on :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It's been down for a few hours now, I've been trying the whole time.

Finally, in time for my last hour of boredom, they're back.

But hey, I found ways to entertain myself. I bought a 350W P/S from Russ, & sat here & dreamed about how fast my P3 933 & my GeForce2 will be when I get them...

Sigh...

Viper GTS

dl

Banned
Oct 29, 1999
there are two or more possible solutions...

1.) separate anandtech and anandforums like it was b4:

anandtech.com and
anandforums.gisystech.com (since anand no longer uses gisystech why not put the forumns on anandforum.com or anandforums.com...both are not registered domains...this will keep the forums up when big reviews are up :))

or

2.) like Zuni said...put more servers on the the server farm...but I'm not sure if that'll work though...

Jason Clark

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Server farm will work, What I want to do is have the forums on their own 2 machines in cluster. Then have 4 other machines in another cluster for anandtech. That should keep the site at the speeds it should be at. We were pushing 5.8 Mbit's on each box this afternoon :) STEADY.

This will happen its only a matter of time, the cost of setting this up is very high. The cluster software is about 20K for the proper licensing alone :).

BTW the whos online is only people that are LOGGED IN to the forums over half of the forum users browse not logged in. According to our live stats about 600 people or so are logged in at any given time.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
They were probably using the servers for the forums to support the overload on the main site. That's my guess I am not 100% sure.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
They're the same servers, they just temporarily reduced the load by not serving the forums. The end result was a manageable front page (anandtech.com) & 404's on the forums.

Viper GTS

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
That's ok. I went to SysOpt and Ars Technica as usual (except that I posted this time ;)). Funny thing is Anandtech may get slow once in a while but at Ars, sometimes I can post a reply and go do my groceries before the thread reloads. Going there often makes me feel like I'm on a 300baud modem. ;)

Hehe. I like Ars though. Nice intellectualism there. :)

Love Potion #( (Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
It was down all day for me.. 404's each time I tried. The only forums I visit are (here), UnrealPC Forums and 3drealms forums.. there are a few other places that I visit every now and then, but not that I go to very often.

kingink

Apr 24, 2000
hey we're talking up a lot of bandwidth here. Won't be long 'til they cut this forum loose.
hehe.
kingink

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< yeah the forums were down for a while, and the main site was busy as hell >>

When the forums are down, people hit the main site and finally read the reviews. Is there a link? Anand wanting to boost readership of his articles so the forum is taken down? Conspiracy?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
No, I think its more something to the effect that the servers were overwhelmed by a new article, and since the majority of AnandTech readers are at the main page and not the forums, the people up high decided to pull the plug on the forums to keep the main page running ok.

Zuni, what kind of lines do you have running out of the server farm? I had been thinking T1, but it looks like you either have atleast 4 T1s, or a T3.

And Anand, have you read that e-mail ColinP sent you about getting us a Team AnandTech SETI@Home mention on the main page? It would greatly help our team.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, the downtime was beneficial. I had a chance to spend my BBS time over at Linuxnewbie expanding my micron sized knowledge of Linux.:)

Russ, NCNE