What happened to Crapster? Did I get banned? :|

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I tried logging on today, and it said "unable to connect to server", then it said something about my password... So I go to preferences to change my password in case I somehow got it wrong, and it says I have to be connected to Napster to change it! :|

Oh well.

-RSI

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
That happened to me a week ago. I changed (reaffirmed) my password and everything is working normally. Use Napigator to connect if you have problems.

Don't worry, Napster probably won't be around much longer anyway. ;)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I'm far too indolent and as a result do not have Napigator. I'm also too lazy to reinstall Napster to see if it will work.

Man, I should really finish this computer science project... *sigh*

-RSI

Nutcase99

Golden Member
Dec 22, 1999
Just reregister, but Napster has been craping out lately. Half the time I can't connect to a server!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It must be a server problem (notice the weekends are always busy?). Try logging on with Napigator (note the long time taken to log on - ping times are hopeless) and then minimize you max rearch results (unless you have all day for a reply). Queue up a bunch of stuff while you can, download, then forget it.

BTW, it's supposed to be this month for an injunction to shut Napster down 'till the trial - anybody know exactly when?

wviperw

Aug 5, 2000
I can't connect either. And whats navigator? For some reason, I haven't heard of it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
www.napigator.com

It lists all of the Napster servers, the amount of files shared and the number of users on each server as well as the ping times. It allows you to chose your server instead of the default "optimal" one.

Napster must have some very good lawyers (as well as a good argument about causing the RIAA no harm). Does anyone think they might actually win their court battle?

EDIT: Is there something against discussing Naspter and Napigator on these forums? I agree it is a moral issue of conscience as to sharing music freely over the Internet. However, it is not warez and all the respected computing journals as well as the newspaper are giving out information and internet addresses of these companies. Plus the courts certainly have not ruled as to their legality.

Champo41

May 11, 2000
RSI...

You call Napster "Crapster" and you're worried that you got banned? Is there some sort of logic to this that I'm missing?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
What does calling Napster names have to do with getting banned?

The only "banning" had to do with downloading Dr Dre or Metallica songs. The RIAA is doing its best to permanently shut Napster down by a court injunction. Napster is doing its best to legally defend itself.

EDIT: Napster is back up and running.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
"RSI...

You call Napster "Crapster" and you're worried that you got banned? Is there some sort of logic to this that I'm missing?"

Did I offend you by calling Napster "Crapster"? Is there anything wrong with saying that? How would calling it Crapster get me banned, or have anything to do with it?

Your post was so useful, funny and enlightening. Thanks for blessing us with your presence.

*cough*

-RSI

Champo41

May 11, 2000
No, I'm just wondering why you're calling it Crapster? Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine to see someone use a service that if it ever went out their life would end and call it a name just to fit in.

Champo41

May 11, 2000
Maybe you mis-read my statement above. I NEVER said calling it Crapster would get you banned, I was just wondering why you called it "Crapster" and then you worry about being banned. The only connection those two have is that it seems to hate service, yet worry you won't be able to use it again.

Sorry, this post is getting way off topic.