What happened? CPU is stable in one rig, but fails in another...

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Almost a year ago I bought (2) ECS NF3 / Sempron 3100+ combos from Frys/Outpost.com. I had them both running @ 2250mhz w/+%3.4 increase in Vcore for about 11 months now. They ran 24/7 Folding@Home. Both were Prime 95 stable.

I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard lying around and decided to get my daughter an A64 3200+ for $50 from Newegg and sell the CPU and Asus mobo off to a friend at work. I expected to use the CPU as stock speeds. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the CPU to pass P95 (blend). I have tried increasing the Vcore (the Asus board ONLY offers a +0.2 increase) and still no stability. I have run Memtest for over 12hours so I know that the memory is ok. I have tried dropping the HTT to 3x. Usually it will fail out of P95 in LESS then 1 minute.

Getting annoyed by this, I figured that I would swap in the 'other' Sempron 3100+ that I have in the 'family rig'. Same problem. This time the machine locked up (@ stock Vcore) as soon as I started P95 and opened a CPU-z window. So, I boosted the Vcore by +0.2 and ran P95 again. Again it failed in less then 1 minute.

I figured that perhaps I should re-download P95 and re-install it. In the meanwhile, just for kicks, I decided to run P95 with "In-place large FFT's" it has been running stable for almost an hour now.

EDIT: Just for giggles, after putting one of the CPU's back into the 'family rig', I am running P95 Blend on that one now. Just to make sure that it stills works fine in that rig.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW: This is a 'fresh' build. Brand new HD, Brand new Memory (KVR), Brand new Antec case w/Antec 350W PS, Brand new DVD burner, used Mobo (latest BIOS revision from Asus), used CPU, Copper Core HS w/80MM fan.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Well it could be a lot of things..how was your motherboard that was laying aroudn stored..when was it last used, are you sure it's still good? Is the ram you chose on the compatibility list for your motherboard, did you run memtest?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Start with giving your RAM more vdimm. If that doesn't solve the problem, there's something wrong with the motherboard, it sounds like.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Interestingly enough the "In-place large FFT's" test ran for FOUR hours before I stopped it. I deleted Prime95 and then re-downloaded and installed it. I tried running the "Blend" test again, same problem. It errors out after 1 or 2 minutes.

I had tried increasing the Vdimm, no improvement. Yes, the memory is on the list of approved memory. Also, I had mentioned that the Memory passed over 12 Hours of Memtest.

The Motherboard was inside a case inside my house (not being used of course), it wasn't in the garage or attic, just inside the house.

Ughh... I am sorry to hear that. I will have to keep my eyes open for another motherboard (the s754's seem to be cheap enough). I think that there were (2) MSI boards listed in the Hot Deals section that were $35 and $40.

Anyone have any experience with that MSI board that has a PCI-e slot and an AGR slot? The Accelerated Graphics Riser slot, is supposed to accept most AGP cards while also giving you a PCI-e slot for further upgrade possibilities.