What happen to shooting game?

thehotsung8701A

May 18, 2015
Modern shooting games are just garbage. It all about dramatic cut scene and hold your hand and you must follow the exact path so that it lead to another cut scene.

I went back and bought Medal of Honor Allies Assault War Chest from GOG and that WWII fps is simply amazing. Feel like new generation of gamer don't know what they are missing to proclaim COD (anything after 3) to be the GOAT of fps games.

The shooting in old fps were so much fun even with aim down sight and I'm not sure why modern fps games can't replicate it? You would think technology would lead to better lives but that has not been the case.

I think a lot of it has to do with the mechanic of the game and how old fps games require skill and cover as you needed health pack and not stupid things like your health auto-regenerate in cover. Quick Time Events are also a nuisance as well.

It amazing how both Medal of Honors and Call of Duty was a respectable franchise back then and now they are both hot garbage.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Yeah man, I feel the same way. MOH, Counterstrike and COD days were crazy fun. Its something about the multiplayer maps, sound effects and repetitive actions that were so addictive in those games, where I could spend like 3 hours easily on team deathmatch. The SP was awesome as well. I despise QTE's too, I just want to watch a cutscene.. stop making press this button super fast for dumb reasons.

I cant get into those Battlefields and whatnot nowadays, maybe has to do with I am older too now. Too complicated from what I see and never could get into it. MOH was just one of those perfectly balanced games that was easy to get into if you have a few hours to kill, also a variety of weapons keeping it interesting.

Try Wolfenstein: New Order if you haven't yet. Fun game to blast shit up with machineguns, also gave me a happy flashback to the golden age of FPS (IMHO 2002-2005). Better graphics help but it is most definitely more about addictive gameplay, especially multiplayer FPS.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I entered thread looking for shmups.. left disappointed.

There are literally TONS of non-story shooters out there that have been released on steam in the past 8 years. Not a whole lot of cutting edge graphics, but some have great communities supporting them with map packs and mods. Not my bag, but keep looking. And don't forget planetside 2!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
I play with four friends. The latest COD has 12 player maps that form two groups of six. I swear that 99.9% of the time that one mofo that is on our team--and not in our party--always does the exact same thing over and over again.

Friday night ... idiot went 3 and 24. That's right, he killed three opponents and died 24 times. And this was someone that already Prestige already.
Saturday night ... idiot goes 1 and 18. Seriously?

But these are not what makes the gameplay disappointing. It is actually those players on your team that frag you because you are not doing what they want you to. Sure, I'm a camper and so are my friends. Our choice and we don't go fraggings others for not camping. It works for us and it works a hell of a lot better then 3 and 24, or 1 and 18.

But these are arcade games and nothing more. No sense of realism. I can't climb on this crate/chair/table but I can that one? Maybe I am too old and these games need to be rated for Pre-K.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Every single game being a casual mainstream 'nadebro shooter has been the norm for years now. What else is new?

You can thank the original Xbox and Halo, that's pretty much where the current trend started.

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Counter Strike Global Offensive has around 600,000 daily players. It's a pretty solid fps and it's very balanced.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hard Reset, a hidden gem in my book. Aslo, Shadow Warrior. Oh and Painkiller... oh God Painkiller was so fun (still is!). Look on Steam, there's a bunch of FPS games with either no real story per se, or at least with a bare minimum of it (along with very few cut scenes). On a side note, if you haven't played Brutal DOOM, do yourself a favor and play it, it's A. Ma. Zing.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Counter Strike Global Offensive has around 600,000 daily players. It's a pretty solid fps and it's very balanced.

Need to mute that game voice chat immediately.Nothing but big mouthed teenagers running their mouth.Usually want to shove my foot up the ass of the mic spammers.

Once you mute it,the experience changes dramatically.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
There have been a lot of good FPSs in my opinion. I remember playing "Singularity" and it blew me off with its time manipulation and the diverse gameplay options it offered. Decent story as well. The Bioshock series too is pretty good.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Need to mute that game voice chat immediately.Nothing but big mouthed teenagers running their mouth.Usually want to shove my foot up the ass of the mic spammers.

Once you mute it,the experience changes dramatically.

voice_enable 0 in the console turns off voice chat, I leave that on unless I am in a competitive 5v5 matchmaking, otherwise I don't want to hear people.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I remember COD back when it used to be possible to methodically work your way though a map. Not its all infinitely respawning enemies and regen health. Feels like like a series of set puzzles than working your way through a base or whatever. I guess the only style was too unforgiving. New stuff feels like those shooters on rails by comparison though.