What gives HOA's their authority?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Funny enough, the only people I've seen take pictures is people that aren't on our board. One case was a couple that didn't like one of the rules and was taking pictures of everyone they thought was breaking a rule (which is a massive pet peeve of mine, the idea that we should just throw all the rules out because someone broke a different one). The couple ended up moving on, which was best as they made everyone around them pissed. The worst part was we had already agreed to allow them a special case on the parking rule they were breaking because our Property Manager misspoke to them about it. I guess they just wanted to make us cranky. The other was a jackass that was creepy as hell and went around taking pictures of people's backyards. I'd be worried he was casing places if he wasn't so old and broken down. He sold and moved on so the problem was resolved. I'm sure if he stayed he would have been arrested. The police were called a few times by other homeowners over him.

Renters are a massive pain though it's not their fault in most cases. They don't know the rules most of the time. We wanted to make sure landlords gave a copy of the Rules and Regs to all renters, but there's no way we can enforce that.Having said that we do get a fair share of college jackasses though, being so close to ASU. Those guys normally piss me off as even when it's a simple rule like don't let your dog run around the neighborhood off a leash they still tell you to fuck off. We've also had some issues with AirBnb renters. Those idiots don't care at all about anything and in one case tried to help themselves to our pool furniture. Those are the only ones I've looked into banning.

Yup, the only thing I've seen recently that has resulted in photos taking was one of the renter's letting their dog crap behind their patio and not picking it up. And there have been homeowner's who have done similar, or let their dog just wander around and poop wherever (and never picking it up). This has irked many of us and is more an issue of some common decency than it is some absurd policing by HOA zealots.

And the ones who tend to complain about HOA rule enforcement tend to be the ones who just don't understand the social aspect of community, how to play nice with others, and in general they are quite simply horror stories for everyone else in the community. And then they go complain online and everywhere they can about how rude and nazi-like these boards are. Or how they completely misconstrue something, usually in some pathological capacity where paranoia rules their life. And the other people reading the complaints never get that side of the story, never get to know how disturbed the complainer is. It's kind of like gang stalking, totally not a thing but something very real to conspiracy theorists and schizophrenics. The complainers feel everyone is out to get them, and yet they never take stock of their own behaviors as they are always the victim.