What games is the 970 vram issue an issue @ 1080p

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Just listen to the noise levels of the MSI Gaming 970 in this round-up:
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-test-roundup-vergleich/4/

This video is pure bs,they made the Strix look so loud.They use 60% fanspeed which unless your aiming for mid 50 cels load its completely not necessary.I go for 45% and its dead silent while i hit about 61-63 depending on ambient temps.Did enough curves on mine to tell you all about it.Cooler makes a bit more noise once pass 50% but honestly its just not needed period.

That stupid video nearly scared me off the Strix.Dug deeper on youtube to really see how quiet it was.

Apr 24, 2015
How is that even possible?

1) 2000 hours / 5 hours a day = 400 days straight
2) What is there to do in GTA for 2000 hours? :sneaky: This is not like DOTA or Starcraft 2....

Cannabis. Lots of cannabis, that's how. It's a well known stoner game, they just mooch about whilst stoned, doing "crazy cool things".

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
How is that even possible?

1) 2000 hours / 5 hours a day = 400 days straight
2) What is there to do in GTA for 2000 hours? :sneaky: This is not like DOTA or Starcraft 2....

Uhhh, whats the point of this jab?

It's an online game. And you do level up.

Where do you get 400 days?

People could probably say this same thing about the amount of time you spend on the internet debating video cards.

Don't be a hypocrite.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
GTA V will hit that wall. I wouldn't get a 970 purely because of that crossbar. May as well wait another month and see if Witcher III shakes the GPU tree and a 980 Ti falls out. :whiste:

It doesn't. I'm running 970 SLI with it and can run at near max details just fine.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
This video is pure bs,they made the Strix look so loud.They use 60% fanspeed which unless your aiming for mid 50 cels load its completely not necessary.I go for 45% and its dead silent while i hit about 61-63 depending on ambient temps.Did enough curves on mine to tell you all about it.Cooler makes a bit more noise once pass 50% but honestly its just not needed period.

That stupid video nearly scared me off the Strix.Dug deeper on youtube to really see how quiet it was.

That's not the point here. The video shows how loud the card is at different fan speeds and temperature levels. For example, if you are going to be cranking the 970 to 1.5Ghz on both the Strix and MSI Gaming 970, the MSI card will be quieter at similar temperatures. A video like that will show you exactly that scenario. Obviously if you are running light overclocks or are OK with higher temperatures at 1.4-1.5Ghz overclock, you can run 45% fan speeds. That's not the point. The point is MSI Gaming remains quiet even if you scale its fan speeds up to 100%; and that's why it's an overall quieter 970 than the Asus Strix. Both the Strix and the MSI Gaming are very quiet out of the box, but these minor differences should be noted by reviewers along the entire fan curve because extra information certainly doesn't hurt the potential buyers. I wouldn't call their test BS as you seem to have implied.

It's understood that you don't need to run a single card at 80-100% fan speed at stock speeds. However, another scenario which you haven't considered in your reply is SLI and Tri-SLI. Those users will absolutely have to run their cards at 60-100% fan speed.

110509.98f10461aacb29914b29205f03f6bc39.7abbbf5c2ce3de49623baa215b6c3fc1.med.jpg

Now imagine 2-3x Asus Strix @ 1.5Ghz vs. 2-3x MSI Gaming SLI 970 @ 1.5Ghz cards. Since the reviewer doesn't know the case you have, how many cards you have and how high of an overclock you aim to get, it's actually very informative when they give us noise measurements at different fan speed intervals. This is a methodology that is 100% missing from all North American websites and Computerbase should be commended for including it in their reviews. :thumbsup:

Uhhh, whats the point of this jab?
It's an online game. And you do level up.

I never took a jab at you I just don't understand what is there to do in a game like GTA V for 2000 hours? This is not a multi-player game like WoW or SC2.

Where do you get 400 days?

You said you will spend 2000 hours on GTA V alone. If we assume a normal person with a job, I used 5 hours a day as a conservative estimate. That amounts to 400 days straight. I was just curious to know what in the world is there to do in a game like GTA V for 400 days @ 5 hours a day.

People could probably say this same thing about the amount of time you spend on the internet debating video cards. Don't be a hypocrite.

I usually reply to posts during free intervals in my day. I don't spend anywhere near 5 hours a day replying. Over 13 years of posting on AT, my average number of posts is about 3.4 per day. You think that takes hours out of my day to write 3 replies? I am not criticizing you playing 2000 hours in a videogame game, but specifically for GTA V. I would have never imagine anyone spending 2000 in this game. I've never heard of anyone before who spends that much time on GTA multi-player. Wow, SC2, DOTA, CS: GO, LoL, sure. A game that's primarily a single-player title with multi-player as an after-thought like GTA V?

I guess my question then is if you are going to spend 2000 hours in a game like GTA V, I mean at that point might as well get a 980 if you are that concerned about VRAM. If I knew I would dedicate 2000 hours towards which roughly amounts to 400 days @ 5 hours a day, I certainly wouldn't care at all about saving $150-200. If this is your most played game of all time, why not go for the $475 EVGA 980? Alternatively, just get a 970, use it for 6 months and then once mods start coming out for GTA V, maybe you can save up for a faster card. That's why I think your worries about VRAM bottlenecks at 1080P on a 970 are over-exaggerated in practice.

Cannabis. Lots of cannabis, that's how. It's a well known stoner game, they just mooch about whilst stoned, doing "crazy cool things".

That's hilarious. I do find some insane fascination with GTA games and many gamers forgive ALL flaws (Physics, graphics, storyline) for GTA that no other gaming franchise can get away with. It's actually very hard to explain since the story line is generally rather weak. When we look at a game like The Witcher 3, the map is gigantic but there are legitimate 100 hours of real storyline in there.

The physics in GTA V are an absolute joke and no one talks about it. I dunno but GTA games and even GTA V are completely immune to media and PC gamer criticism it seems and whenever you start discussing them, GTA fans immediately get offended like you hurt their offspring.

Last edited:

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I never took a jab at you I just don't understand what is there to do in a game like GTA V for 2000 hours? This is not a multi-player game like WoW or SC2.

It's called GTA Online. There's tons of stuff to do. It is like an multiplayer open world game, racing game, and fps/tps deathmatch game all rolled into one. You can also play golf, tennis or any myraid other activities. Go offroading, submarining. There is flight school. You can go parachuting. There are crews where you can roll and do activities with your friends. Character customization, leveling up. Earn money to buy really expensive cars, etc...

Even the single player portion has hundreds of hours there if you have any kind of imagination and just enjoy exploring a massive open world and enjoying the emergent gameplay.

GTA has been one of my favorite series since the top down days of GTA1/2.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I have two questions on the GTX 970 memory issue:

1. How do GPUs other than 970, that simply have 3GB VRAM, or 4GB VRAM, handle it when a game needs more than that? And how does that differ from when the 970 needs more than 3.5 GB?

2. I know Guru3D, in their GTA V benchmark review, measured VRAM usage. Are there any other sites doing this or that have been doing this? Could Anandtech start doing that if it would be useful for GPUs other than 970?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
A standard 3gb card will start to pull from system ram when it exceeds 3gb.

A 970 will start to pull from the slower vram when it exceeds 3.5gb. When it exceeds 4gb it will start to pull from system ram like a standard 4gb card.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
A standard 3gb card will start to pull from system ram when it exceeds 3gb.

A 970 will start to pull from the slower vram when it exceeds 3.5gb. When it exceeds 4gb it will start to pull from system ram like a standard 4gb card.

Ah - and the system ram is faster than that .5GB...so it truly is an issue unique to the 970, and doesn't really justify benchmarks including VRAM usage...unless GPU makers start pulling this on a regular basis.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Ah - and the system ram is faster than that .5GB...so it truly is an issue unique to the 970, and doesn't really justify benchmarks including VRAM usage...unless GPU makers start pulling this on a regular basis.

No, the slower vram on the 970 is still better than system RAM.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

Not exactly. IIRC, the slow VRAM is similar in raw speed to 2133-2400MHz DDR3/4, but the 970 would have faster access to the 512MB pool because it wouldn't need to go over the PCIe bus.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
It's understood that you don't need to run a single card card at 80-100% fan speed at stock speeds. However, another scenario which you haven't considered in your reply is SLI and Tri-SLI. Those users will absolutely have to run their cards at 60-100% fan speed.

[

Having had sli,i would much prefer blowers to anything open air period.But sli 970 is something i wouldn't do even if i had the money to spend for it.Rather go crossfire 290/290x or 980 sli.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I ordered the EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR model....

Hopefully my issues in Advanced Warfare and GTA 5 will go away!

That's the GPU I got to replace my 760... I like it a lot. I was put off a little by the 3.5GB memory issue, but in hindsight it's a non-issue for me at 1080 (playing what I play... MW and BF, and flight sims.)

Did they change the BIOS or is it ACX 2.0+ versions? Good to know!

My fans run all the time, it must be a BIOS change. :(

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
Did they change the BIOS or is it ACX 2.0+ versions? Good to know! :thumbsup:

IMO it is a rubbish feature: you are forcing the GPU to run at more than normal temps for a feature that in real life doesnt quite give much: Any quiet living room or bedroom has an ambient sound of 15db. To perceive a sound in such situations you need at least 10db more than your ambient, this means 25db. Now tell me if having your GPU fans run at the least possible RPM without turning off (1000-1500RPM) will produce more than 25db to make a perceivable difference to our ears instead of this gimmick feature? The answer is no, and going my sugested option instead renders you into better thermals.

Also to note, at least the zotac 960 has 0°C temperature hysteresis, which means fans are constantly being turned on and off when I play League of Legends. This means you are autmatically forced to lay hand into the Afterburner Fan curve and give at least 5°C of hysteresis so this doesnt happen. Now while you are at it, you can adjust the curve so the fan is always on (but at the lowest possible RPM, in my case around 42-45% makes the fan start spinning) and there you go, a healthy, non audible GPU that doesnt need to go beyond 40°C in your usual LoL or DOTA gaming scenario.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Also to note, at least the zotac 960 has 0°C temperature hysteresis, which means fans are constantly being turned on and off when I play League of Legends. This means you are autmatically forced to lay hand into the Afterburner Fan curve and give at least 5°C of hysteresis so this doesnt happen. Now while you are at it, you can adjust the curve so the fan is always on (but at the lowest possible RPM, in my case around 42-45% makes the fan start spinning) and there you go, a healthy, non audible GPU that doesnt need to go beyond 40°C in your usual LoL or DOTA gaming scenario.

I think the MSI Gaming 970 doesn't even turn on the fans until 60C or even 65C. So in your case if under LoL it's hitting < 65C, the fans would never go on. I would take no fans spinning over fans spinning for light gaming. As far as safe GPU temps, as I said the card's fans turn on at 65C which means it won't over heat the components. I am not really sure then why you aren't happy with this feature. Perhaps it works differently on the Zotac cards vs. MSI's implementation?

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
I think the MSI Gaming 970 doesn't even turn on the fans until 60C or even 65C. So in your case if under LoL it's hitting < 65C, the fans would never go on. I would take no fans spinning over fans spinning for light gaming. As far as safe GPU temps, as I said the card's fans turn on at 65C which means it won't over heat the components. I am not really sure then why you aren't happy with this feature. Perhaps it works differently on the Zotac cards vs. MSI's implementation?
Why would you take no fans spinning vs 1500 rpm fans if both wont be perceived by your ears, and make your gpu unnecesarily Hot in such light gaming scenarios? My 960 is hotter playing lol with no fans than playing bf4, it is absurd and as i said in lol i can make them go for 1400 rpm without being noticed at all in my quiet livingroom

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Why would you take no fans spinning vs 1500 rpm fans if both wont be perceived by your ears, and make your gpu unnecesarily Hot in such light gaming scenarios? My 960 is hotter playing lol with no fans than playing bf4, it is absurd and as i said in lol i can make them go for 1400 rpm without being noticed at all in my quiet livingroom

Because the fan's ball bearings wear out as they are used. A GPU that runs at 40C with fans on vs. one that runs at 63C with fans off doesn't last any longer in material terms. Therefore, I am way more concerned about preserving the life of the fans, than worrying about pre-mature PCB, VRM, GPU death from running them at 60-65C vs. 40C.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I think fans stopping and spinning back up is more wear and tear than constantly spinning at a low speed.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Yes, the EVGA cards got a BIOS update for turning off fans under idle/light gaming situations.

I created a custom fan curve in Afterburner to get rid of this feature, however. Not really sure why, chalk it up to what I'm used to I guess.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
I think fans stopping and spinning back up is more wear and tear than constantly spinning at a low speed.
That's my reasoning for not modding my Gigabyte cards for fan off idle. They are currently inaudible on idle despite spinning.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I hate to be a negative nancy and I am not trying to hijack this, but no one should buy from nVidia for what they did with the 970.

It was a moral and ethical failure on their part; they effed us consumers in general, and will do it again since they got away with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard

Also, do you have an SSD?

What about adding 8 more gigs of ram?

I have 16GB and the 290, nary an issue with anything at 1080p 144hz lcd.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
That's my reasoning for not modding my Gigabyte cards for fan off idle. They are currently inaudible on idle despite spinning.

And I'm just not obsessed with having a whisper quiet PC. I actually don't know why it's such a point for most people. Do we need absolute silence in our lives? Personally I'm almost always running a fan in my room just for the white noise. It helps me relax.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I hate to be a negative nancy and I am not trying to hijack this, but no one should buy from nVidia for what they did with the 970.

It was a moral and ethical failure on their part; they effed us consumers in general, and will do it again since they got away with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard

Also, do you have an SSD?

What about adding 8 more gigs of ram?

I have 16GB and the 290, nary an issue with anything at 1080p 144hz lcd.

Well the 970 is the only option in the $300 range if you want to enjoy Nvidia's exclusive features, which are increasingly on all new AAA games it seems.

Getting tired of lack of temporal AA on the AMD side. Temporal AA is becoming more and more of a problem in modern games with detailed graphics.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Well the 970 is the only option in the $300 range if you want to enjoy Nvidia's exclusive features, which are increasingly on all new AAA games it seems.

Getting tired of lack of temporal AA on the AMD side. Temporal AA is becoming more and more of a problem in modern games with detailed graphics.

I understand it is a great card, I was going to buy one for the wife's computer, then everything came out.

It just bothers me at a human level, that they could disclose the GTX 660 setup, same wonky memory dealie, but not the GTX 970 setup *at time of product release*.