What first world problem did you have today?

Page 668 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Pizza Hut has a 50% off deal when ordering online right now...it brought the price of the a large 3 topping pizza to $7.53.

The minimum for delivery is $7.99 (it is rainy and in the lower 30s here in Dallas right now so I don't feel like going anywhere)...

But I changed from the regular crust to the Pan Pizza crust for $.50 more...whew.....

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Stayed at a hotel with free breakfast new years eve. At check in they said it would go until 10:30 because of the holiday. Go down there just after 930 and the only thing left was raisin bran and yogurt. They said they were in fact only going until 930.

Feb 25, 2011
Stayed at a hotel with free breakfast new years eve. At check in they said it would go until 10:30 because of the holiday. Go down there just after 930 and the only thing left was raisin bran and yogurt. They said they were in fact only going until 930.
Damn, all those sober people stole your breakfast.

Feb 25, 2011
Nothing quite as FWP-ey as the unique sense of wistful disappointment you get when you patronize a business where you used to work, and realize that none of the current employees are as good at their jobs as you or your former coworkers were.

Not by a fucking long shot. Cripes.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Had a late night instant booking at the rental. Wife tells me when I get up at 12:30a to pee. So I miss an hour of sleep going over (and over) what needs to happen before work. Finally reset my alarm form 6:00a to 5:00a so I could try and break that useless cycle and ensure that I had time to get the place ready(it worked). Lost another hour of sleep.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Car battery dead. Been weakly cranking for the last week or two. Today sitting in the parking lot listening to the stereo ran it down. Dash lights on, but won't crank.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Job I went to this morning, I didn't particularly feel like doing. Get setup, go to layout the house, and it's in some other county. Draftsman didn't have it placed on the job. Called him, got an updated coordinate list. Standard method. Printed out, scanned to pdf, emailed to me. Sigh... Typed those in, did the stupid house, did some stupid topo I didn't feel like doing, then went back to the office, hopeful I'd be left alone to go fuck up some vines. No such luck. Had to do some other dumb shit with the boss.

Consolation prize was he bought lunch.

Reactions: Zanovar

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Are you sure?

;)

2 weeks sounds a bit self inflicted.
It's being recharged as I type this. There was significant crud on the negative cable connector. I suppose there's an off chance the alternator wasn't recharging it properly. But dash indicator never lit, and it's almost 4 years old, and out of warranty ... soooo ...

Can anyone recommend an auto battery brand? Around here there's Advance Auto, Autozone, ABC Auto Parts, O'Reilly, Walmart.

Autozone has upped my battery's price to a ridiculous $130. Not sure if I want to buy another Autozone battery (Duralast).

Sure, it's the wrong forum.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't really have battery problems. I get whatever is available, sometimes store brands, and they all last pretty well. Currently have Interstate which my used truck came with three years ago, and no issues.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The cold did in about a thousand pounds of prickly pear cactus in the yard. Now I have to work through the thorn bushes to get it out before it rots.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My shed solar panels are out of commission for the year since we got freezing rain about a week ago. Can't get that snow off since it's all crusty and crap. Something I didn't account for with playing with solar here. Even an automated brush system for snow would not work for that crap. Freezing rain is like the worse possible thing that can happen in winter. It ruins everything.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Car battery dead. Been weakly cranking for the last week or two. Today sitting in the parking lot listening to the stereo ran it down. Dash lights on, but won't crank.
My wife's battery was dead a few days ago. Turns out it was the alternator (with no relation to bull penis), an electronics heavy alternator with its own microprocessor. $400 just for the alternator o_O

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Autozone charged and tested my battery. Said it was bad. So ... I went to Walmart for a new EverStart Max battery. $104.

My car sure starts with authority now. No more weak cranking.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My wife's battery was dead a few days ago. Turns out it was the alternator (with no relation to bull penis), an electronics heavy alternator with its own microprocessor. $400 just for the alternator o_O
The controller for the blower motor went out on Mom's HVAC last year(?). It was $275 + labor. WTH does a blower motor need a controller? What happened to on/off? It had an 8 pin connector....:rolleyes:
Autozone charged and tested my battery. Said it was bad. So ... I went to Walmart for a new EverStart Max battery. $104.

My car sure starts with authority now. No more weak cranking.
Stance of dominance. :)

$130 here too at autozone. The last 2 I bought didn't give any indications they were crapping out.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Stance of dominance. :)

$130 here too at autozone. The last 2 I bought didn't give any indications they were crapping out.
Heheheh, actions speak louder than words.
The Walmart battery has the same warranty as Autozone's Duralast Gold-edition models. 3 yr. free replacement + 2 yr. prorated. Why not take a chance? I ran a walmart battery once before without any ill consequences. (Don't think it was the Maxx edition though)

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Heheheh, actions speak louder than words.
The Walmart battery has the same warranty as Autozone's Duralast Gold-edition models. 3 yr. free replacement + 2 yr. prorated. Why not take a chance? I ran a walmart battery once before without any ill consequences. (Don't think it was the Maxx edition though)
Because I don't like walmart. Yes, I just shopped there today but that was Mom's grocery list. They put thousands of stores out of business because Americans want cheap shit. And I'm just as guilty for shopping Amazon...:(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My solar panels have been fubared for the past week or so because we had freezing rain a while back. Been trying to chip away at it with no luck. Managed to get some cells exposed today though. That snow is harder than it looks, it's all crusty and crap.

They arn't running anything important, but if I can't salvage this I'll have to bring the battery in the house. Was hoping this system could be a bit more self sustaining other then me having to broom snow off but forgot about dreaded freezing rain. That just ruins every surface for the rest of the winter.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
My solar panels have been fubared for the past week or so because we had freezing rain a while back. Been trying to chip away at it with no luck. Managed to get some cells exposed today though. That snow is harder than it looks, it's all crusty and crap.

They arn't running anything important, but if I can't salvage this I'll have to bring the battery in the house. Was hoping this system could be a bit more self sustaining other then me having to broom snow off but forgot about dreaded freezing rain. That just ruins every surface for the rest of the winter.
Would anti-icing windshield fluid help clear off the ice?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

Ouch. That sucks. Probably one of the reasons why you don't see many solar panels going up in snowy areas.

You might be able to use heater strips, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of solar panels, unless you run those off of another set of solar panels...

Would something like a silicone spray work to prevent this?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I finally found a vegan meal service.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/meal-delivery-services-for-a-vegetarian.2558315/

A friend told me about it. I guess I couldn't find it since I didn't set my sights high (low?) enough. When I was googling, I should have put in vegan instead of vegetarian.

So I placed my order. It turns out that they make up the orders on the weekends and ship on mondays. But since they're on the West coast and I'm on the East, it takes a full week for the shipment to get to me. Good thing I'm not starving in the meantime.

They claim that the food will arrive frozen even though it's going to be in transit for almost 5 days. They say they pack it with dry ice so we'll see.