What first world problem did you have today?

Page 661 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My workstation's OS installation is slowly self destructing itself. My printer randomly stopped working so while trying to troubleshoot that I started by doing updates since it was due, but now those updates broke NFS. I now lost access to all my data. (my data is ok I just can't access it). I think I'm due for a clean install but I so don't feel like going through that right now. It usually takes months before I have stuff working properly the way I want.

So you got your secure storage. Job done.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This morning I made coffee and my demerara sugar jar was empty. Since I haven't had coffee I decided against opening a new bag. So I got it from the cooking use one.

Sat down, took a sip and really woke up. I had put salt in my coffee.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Win 10 wouldn't let me delete the windows directory off an old drive, said I needed admin permission. I am admin, butt munch. I managed to kill off everything from a CMD prompt except for one flash active control file. "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that." Seriously. With Win Vistas and Win 7, Microsoft thought that it would be a good idea to have secret user accounts (internal operating system agents) tasked for specific purposes and give them file permissions. In this case, the secret agent was tasked with allowing Flash to add shit to an old version of Internet Explorer behind the scenes so that Flash ran correctly without the actual users having to bother our pretty little heads. That version of Flash is long gone, that version of IE is long gone, and that version of Windows is gone yet the secret user still has permissions on the file and an admin can't remove the permissions from the secret user and so can't delete the file. And, since that version of Windows is also gone, there is no way to kill the secret user or commandeer the account long enough to kill the file. Come the nuclear holocaust there will be nothing left of this earth except cockroaches and the file Flash10h.ocx.

@lxskllr I'm coming around to your way of thinking.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Umm, how the heck do you think Verizon got iphones?

You think they set up GSM towers just for Apple?

They would already have HSPA towers I would hope? CDMA is flip phone era tech. lol. One advantage of CDMA is better range though. Think the standard allows for higher wattage. HSPA is about 0.5w at the handset and around 40w at the tower sector if I recall. Don't remember what CDMA used.

We host the CDMA switch (MTX) for our region, will be interesting when they turn that down, probably drawing a couple hundred amps lol. It's fairly old tech. Then again so is the DMS100 and that's still chugging along.

They keep extending it here though, I guess there's still lot of customers with old CDMA phones. Some older vehicles with Onstar, and maybe old alarm systems use it too. But anything in the past decade or so has been HSPA.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That sounds like a question someone who bakes with margarine would ask.
I don't use margarine for anything. Got some Finlandia butter yesterday. Jury's still out, but I think it's better than Kerrygold. It has a nice texture.

Sugar cookies are the plain donuts of the cookie world. They look like they might be good, but it's always a disappointment. I used to make them at a bakery around jul. Once you've cranked out a couple thousand dozen, you're pretty cool with never seeing them again :^D

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm in a pretty rough situation right now. I have to pee, and my wine glass is empty. But my cat is also on my lap, so I can't get up to rectify those two issues.

Send help.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I went to bed too late last night (which is a regular occurrence because I'm an idiot). I'm tired. I blew all my PTO early as fuck this year, by the end of August, LOL. So gotta work straight until January at least, but actually for a while we've had some hotish projects so I was fairly busy anyway. Getting 4.5 - 5 hours or sleep a night sucks but I'm apparently too dumb to go to bed earlier. FML

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
SOB just realized I forgot my dentist appointment today. It never popped up on my phone. I feel bad because it's the second time.

Oh your dentist will make sure you never forget it again... :eek: If I were you, I'd be on the phone with another dentist.

If they ask, "Is it safe?" Get the hell outta there while you still can!

Reactions: highland145

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
SOB just realized I forgot my dentist appointment today. It never popped up on my phone. I feel bad because it's the second time.
They don't call you when you don't show up? This was my previous dentist and not my current one, but I was on my way there, about 5 minutes after my appointment time, and I got a phone call from them asking if I was coming.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Went to the Post Office this morning, but it was closed for a national day of mourning - thanks to George HW Bush.
Nor was there any mail in my box.
:cry: