What first world problem did you have today?

Page 649 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just found out it would have been feasible to plant giant sequoia here, but now I'm too old to see them do anything if I put them in the ground. Should have done it 20 years ago.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just found out it would have been feasible to plant giant sequoia here, but now I'm too old to see them do anything if I put them in the ground. Should have done it 20 years ago.
Plant it! Smile at the thought that it will one day be somebody else's problem. :D

There is a mountain top in central Arizona that has two sequoias planted by the CCC.

Reactions: lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Plant it! Smile at the thought that it will one day be somebody else's problem. :D

There is a mountain top in central Arizona that has two sequoias planted by the CCC.
You might be right. Wikipedia has this to say...
Growth rates in some areas of Europe are remarkable. One young tree in Italy reached 22 m (72 ft) tall and 88 cm (2.89 ft) trunk diameter in 17 years (Mitchell, 1972).
70' is nothing to sneeze at, and I'd have a chance of seeing it. I could put them on my property border where the trees I need to remove are.

edit:
Prices don't look too bad...

https://store.giant-sequoia.com/giant-sequoia-trees/

I'll have to look around. The tree guy we work with might have some in his nursery. He mostly deals in native plants, but he has a bit of everything.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You might be right. Wikipedia has this to say...

70' is nothing to sneeze at, and I'd have a chance of seeing it. I could put them on my property border where the trees I need to remove are.

edit:
Prices don't look too bad...

https://store.giant-sequoia.com/giant-sequoia-trees/

I'll have to look around. The tree guy we work with might have some in his nursery. He mostly deals in native plants, but he has a bit of everything.
I might go for the dawn redwood...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasequoia_glyptostroboides

Doesn't sound as majestic as giant sequoia, but it's a big fast growing tree. It's also interesting in that it's deciduous. My tree guy has them in stock. $23-$225 depending on size.

shanto52

Oct 3, 2018
I got home just in time to fight a world boss in my MMO of choice, but a new build had been released and by the time it finished downloading I had missed the boss. Almost three hours later now and I'm still more than an hour away from the next spawn. The struggle is real . . .

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Most of the banks are closed today except Chase. I will have to wait until tomorrow to have a large deposit to pay my credit card.

Oh, and it is still freaking hot and humid here even it is October right now.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I managed to find a store that was selling the new Joyetech Ultex vape device, not on pre-order, when every other store I'd seen had them pre-ordered and releasing on 10/10. So I ordered the vape on 10/03 and my order is still "Processing." MOTHER F'ER. Emailed the company today asking for an order status but not response yet. FML

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm seriously considering getting a PS4 or Xbox One just so I can play Red Dead Redemption 2. The game just looks incredible. I'd probably opt for an Xbox One S cause I have a 4K HDR television, and like the fact that I could use it as a 4K Blu-ray player too.

There's the 'X' version too but I don't think that would be worth it for me, again, I'm getting the damn thing for basically one game to begin with (though I can see buying additional games down the road) and I don't need the absolutely top-of-the-line system.

Looks like I can get the Xbox One S for $325 new, and even less if I want a refurb. DECISIONS. FML

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Just paid for our trip to Kauai the week of Thanksgiving. But it's too far away and I would rather be there now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
More dream fun last night. The cast starred my ex, my mother, and Donald Trump :^/

I was back together with my ex, and we were moving into a new house in a kind of run down neighborhood. This neighborhood liked having jul lights in the deciduous trees year round. Kind of pretty. The door entrance had thin white paint, with nice wood underneath. My ex said it was ok to sand it down(It'll look good when I'm done!). My mother was in the house acting like an ass on and off(some kind of bizarro dementia), and Donald Trump was giving advice on dealing with my mother, mostly finance related. Surprisingly, it struck me as pretty good advice at the time, but I can't remember what it was. I woke up pissed off and irritated; 12:30am. Took me awhile to get back to sleep :^/

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is more ongoing but I have a finger that's been hurting for a few months and I'm very scared it might be something bad like arthritis. That tends to spread and get worse over the years and I'm only 32. I really don't want to be stuck on meds for the rest of my life as I watch my joints deteriorate.

Suppose to see a doctor in a few days so wish me luck! Hopefully it's just fractured or something, but I don't know why it would hurt for that long and I don't recall getting hurt bad enough or I'd remember.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I was having issues with one of my fingers. Best guess is it was caused by holding my phone :rollseyes: I changed the way I held it for awhile, and it went away. Might be something you're doing. Splayed across a keyboard or something. Pay attention to what you're doing with your hands.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I'm hoping it will maybe be just that. it started after I did the siding on my shed so I figured it was maybe the way I was going up the ladder, holding siding in one hand and drill in the other and using one finger to pull myself up. But then it just never went away.

I also have a bad habit of cracking the two main fingers on both hands maybe it caught up with me...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Spent the day building a bunch of virtualization servers. Vendor ran out of stock of my regular Xeon CPU coolers, so the very last server had a different model HSF. The copper pipes stick up like 2mm too high to slide the case on. Drilling out some poke-through holes isn't a good option because the case lid slides on. So now I have to order another pair of coolers that fit properly, and disassemble the entire thing. To quote Waluigi, WAAAAAH!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Throwback. Not mine. Super cringe.

zFGaEEe.jpg

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Modem keeps disconnecting at home. Line problem causing interference, no doubt. I get internet for maybe 12 minutes then ... bye bye ... or maybe 1hr 10min then ... bye bye.
I'm often able to trigger reconnection by lifting the phone off the hook (so to speak). I think keeping a stream or download active helps preserve the network connection.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Modem keeps disconnecting at home. Line problem causing interference, no doubt. I get internet for maybe 12 minutes then ... bye bye ... or maybe 1hr 10min then ... bye bye.
I'm often able to trigger reconnection by lifting the phone of the hook (so to speak). I think keeping a stream or download active helps preserve the network connection.
Fire up your torrent client, and start transferring data.