What first world problem did you have today?

Page 640 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It has been rainy and warm the past couple of weeks around here, with temperatures mainly hitting the low-mid 70s during the day and mid-60s at night, which means it's humid inside my house but with an indoor temp of 73F I can't really run the AC. I don't think the outdoor humidity has dropped below ~60-70% for more than a day in the past two weeks. Thinking about getting a whole-house dehumidifier.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The wife wanted Windows 10 on the desktop I built her. Now I have to support and maintain a Windows 10 box.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Should have given her debian. It's the universal operating system.

I've been running slackware on at least 1 machine since around 1998 and am quite comfortable with linux command line, but never really got into X86 or xorg or any of the gui stuff in any POSIX type systems. A long time ago, I considered moving my gaming box over to a Linux or BSD distro, but, was not satisfied with WINE due to performance issues, weird behavior,crappy drivers, and poor 3d support. At that time, I investigated running something like xen hyperviser with a Winxp guest OS for games, but, at that time, it seemed like direct x wouldn't work, and only open gl games would work, so I stuck with my low maintenance windows environment for the gaming pc.

Since then, Microsoft released Windows 7, and it's more or less been "comfortable." When they drop support for it, I may decide to become a "full time" linux guy,

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've been running slackware on at least 1 machine since around 1998 and am quite comfortable with linux command line, but never really got into X86 or xorg or any of the gui stuff in any POSIX type systems. A long time ago, I considered moving my gaming box over to a Linux or BSD distro, but, was not satisfied with WINE due to performance issues, weird behavior,crappy drivers, and poor 3d support. At that time, I investigated running something like xen hyperviser with a Winxp guest OS for games, but, at that time, it seemed like direct x wouldn't work, and only open gl games would work, so I stuck with my low maintenance windows environment for the gaming pc.

Since then, Microsoft released Windows 7, and it's more or less been "comfortable." When they drop support for it, I may decide to become a "full time" linux guy,
If you're really into gaming, gnu/linux probably isn't for you. As always, it gets better every year, but Windows is king for gaming. I don't game so much anymore. I wouldn't mind, but I'm resentful of drm, and other games the devs play. I just want to buy a game, play it, and not deal with anything else unless I choose to. gog gives that, but I haven't bought anything from them. I keep myself occupied with other stuff that's compatible with gnu/linux.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Last Thursday I order a new Corsair HXi750i powersupply from Newegg with the standard 2 day shipping
On Friday I receive the standard email from Newegg the power
I checked the tracking status and showed an estimated delivery for 8/11/2018
On 8/11 I checked the tracking status and Fedex website said Label created, shippment information sent to Fedex
I waited all day and my package was never deliver

I checked the tracking status again and still said Label created, shippment information sent to Fedex.
I checked on Sunday, no new updates on the shipping status
I checked regular on Monday while at work and no updates on the shippment status
I called Newegg when I got home from work. The lady I spoke with tried to contact the warehouse to see what was going on but they didn't answer
So she sent them an email and said if I don't see any movement on the shippment to call back tomorrow

Yesterday I monitor the tracking status all day and there was no update
Fedex website still said Label created, shippment information sent to Fedex.
I called newegg again asked them what was going on with my order
They said it shipped, I said per Fedex tracking they haven't picked it up yet
They looked into it further and said a claim will have to be created

So they switch me over to the claims department. I spoke with them and they said they'll have to create a claim for lost shippment.
They said the claim will take 5 business days to review. Eventually I'll receive a email stating if my claim has been approve or not
If it approve, who knows how long it'll take for them to ship it

Not a clue why they need to do a lost shippment claim when the powersupply never left the warehouse. They should be able to just tell the warehouse ship out
another powersupply and overnight it.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Dealing with incredibly smoky air here in Portland,OR.

(It's from the wildfires burning around Oregon,as well as in Canada.)

Makes it hard to breathe.This is not fun at all.
Can't wait until the wind picks back up and blows all the wildfire smoke out of the area.....

dtgoodwin

Jun 5, 2009
This. I live at the base of a canyon where there is a 20K acre wildfire burning. At night when the air cools and the wind blows from the canyon, we get very dense smoke and even some ash. This is in addition to the smoke we were already getting from the fires in California and other western states (I live in Utah).

I can't run my portable A/C because it has an exhaust-only condenser outlet meaning it is pulling "fresh" smokey air into the house when running. My wife and I like our bedroom cool so we use that for extra cooling. We are now having to cool the whole house with the central A/C to night-time temperatures. Stupid fires. We desperately need rain and some strong winds. Just no more lightning, which was the cause of this particular fire.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Dealing with incredibly smoky air here in Portland,OR.

(It's from the wildfires burning around Oregon,as well as in Canada.)

Makes it hard to breathe.This is not fun at all.
Can't wait until the wind picks back up and blows all the wildfire smoke out of the area.....

Ditto. I got a headache yesterday from it.

And I noticed ash falling on my truck as I was driving this morning. I just know it's clogging the crap out of my new air filter.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yesterday I bought a chainsaw I didn't need. I got it cause it was a pretty good deal. It's basically an older model of what I already have. Paid $550 with tax. I could justify $150 for the case and bar and chain I wanted to get for the one I already had, but that leaves me $400 in the hole. I'm usually not that impulsive. Oh well. Gotta spend money on something :^/

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm back in Missouri after being on the coast for a week. Also, I went to buy some more shirts for work and their computers were down.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I come into the office to check my mail and there's a lot of water on my hallway floor. There's no water on my bathroom floor so it's not me. My office neighbor has a hair salon and she comes over before I can go see her. "Something's going on with the water..." I go to her place, she has a lady in the chair getting a wash. There's an access panel by the sink. I told her that she might as well finish the rinse and I pop my head in the panel. Lots of standing water in the cavity. There's a "mini vent" setup on the line. Water starts pouring out of the top of it. Pretty sure the setup isn't up to code. There's 3 or 4 sinks on it. Really surprised that this hasn't happened before and I feel a bit sorry for her because we're on a commercial contract and on the hook for any repairs. I've got some boxes and crap that got wet but no real big deal except the water that's under 2 of my fire proof filing cabinets. 500lbs + flies....drying under those....eff.

I do have a dehumidifier and shop vac here so...off to work I go.

edit: I wasn't pissed about the problem until I was taking some spare ceiling tiles to the truck. The bottom 1/4 were soaked. They decided to let loose on my peace plant.....eff....might be a lesson here but my neighbor got a vocabulary lesson through the wall.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I actually want to spend money but yet can't find the product I want. I sometimes feel Canada is almost a 3rd world country wen it comes to availability of products. We get the shaft. I just want solar roof mounts, I don't know why it's so hard to find. Most "stores" here don't actually let you buy. "Check out our product it's great!" no option to actually buy it. I may be forced to fabricoble something myself. I really should learn metal fabrication, and fabrication in general. I could probably be rich selling stuff that is hard to find.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Managed to close the screen door on my heel. Cut it open with a 3" wound. How the fuck does that happen.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I have pinkeye; not sure how I got it. Maybe from the gym. Hopefully this gets me out of work for a few days.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I ordered climbing gear, and had a coupon code for free stickers. Got my stuff today, but no stickers :^(

Plus side is I got almost everything hooked up. Just need to get some allen wrenches together to install the rope minder on my flipline. Then it's a matter of waiting for cool weather, and I can fuck up some trees from the sky. Either that, or hang myself from a tree or something stupid like that. Can't wait :^D

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Project manager decided motels are too expensive and decreed that everyone camp on the project site so we moved here this morning . It’s dumping rain, first rain in over 45 days.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm so used to the heat wave now that I still wear shorts and tshirt, was around that temp the other morning too when I head to work. Was a little chilly being in shorts lol. August is like that. Nights are cooler but days are still hot.

What sucks is that the days are really getting shorter now. Like it's already starting to get dark now.