What first world problem did you have today?

Page 280 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I can't seem to get back into this 'studying' thing.

Probably because you realized how pointless most of it is. The guy with the 1.00 GPA will probably get the job and no one asks for your GPA outside academia -- or your school unless it's Harvard, Yale, or MIT.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Probably because you realized how pointless most of it is. The guy with the 1.00 GPA will probably get the job and no one asks for your GPA outside academia -- or your school unless it's Harvard, Yale, or MIT.

The GPA thing is irrelevant. I've been out of school 5 years now and finally have the experience to apply for my PE (which I did). What a mistake that was..... :D

if I do pass, it'll come with a nice, hefty raise. one of the guys in my dept who is a few years older just got his in Oct, so I'm kind of aiming for the same thing....

also, e-peen++++++ points obviously.

CraKaJaX, PE

Yea, that looks pretty nice. I dig.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
a new very serious issue I have: no clue what to get my dad for Christmas.

i'm done procrastinating now. back to studying.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
the display port cables for my new video card are arriving 3 days before the actual card ><

I don't have anything for my video card's display port ports to plug into -- I was actually wondering what the hell those things were when I first got it. My two LCD TVs are from 2009, monitor from 2007, no plans to upgrade until they die. I also have zero USB 3.0 inputs and a single USB 3.0 external hard drive. #firstworldproblem

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It was too cold to put up christmas lights last weekend so I stayed inside and played Fallout 4. Consequently, I need to put up lights this weekend, and it should be 50 degrees so temps won't be a problem.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The GPA thing is irrelevant. I've been out of school 5 years now and finally have the experience to apply for my PE (which I did). What a mistake that was..... :D

if I do pass, it'll come with a nice, hefty raise. one of the guys in my dept who is a few years older just got his in Oct, so I'm kind of aiming for the same thing....

also, e-peen++++++ points obviously.

CraKaJaX, PE

Yea, that looks pretty nice. I dig.

Good for you. I got my "state" equivalent of the PE and gave it back last month -- previous employers did not pay for it and there was no pay raise. Changing careers and not paying $250 for e-peen extension or vanity plate -- I can get it back anytime for $250.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Good for you. I got my "state" equivalent of the PE and gave it back last month -- previous employers did not pay for it and there was no pay raise. Changing careers and not paying $250 for e-peen extension or vanity plate -- I can get it back anytime for $250.

I don't understand what you mean by 'gave it back'? You didn't renew it? Then again in Canada, it is probably completely different? Why did you go from a career with it, to a career without it? Any engineering title/position/company/etc. want PE's since you hold that magic license and therefore take more responsibility in approving things. I'm just wondering for my own good. Hell, I may end up living there when WW3 happens. Probably sooner rather than later.... :sneaky:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I don't understand what you mean by 'gave it back'? You didn't renew it? Then again in Canada, it is probably completely different? Why did you go from a career with it, to a career without it? Any engineering title/position/company/etc. want PE's since you hold that magic license and therefore take more responsibility in approving things. I'm just wondering for my own good. Hell, I may end up living there when WW3 happens. Probably sooner rather than later.... :sneaky:

I sent a form in and "resigned" so that I could renew it easily in the future and wouldn't have to pay $250/year annually. I would have had to pay a penalty if I just stopped paying.

If you're wondering, I was civil and never worked in a role that required a PE -- left a year after getting licensed. However, I spent over 5 years doing technical and bitch-work for the PEs to know what to expect. Anyway, the work wasn't fulfilling for me, and the amount of risk for the amount of pay didn't seem to add up. Lack of career advancement did factor in but after the first year, I just didn't like what I was doing and lacked motivation. What went on in the industry left a sour taste in my mouth too -- unethical shit, being dicked around by employers, the competency of so-called "experts," etc.

Most importantly, I spent days in my cubicle with no human interaction regularly. Should be going back to school for teaching elementary school next year.

P.S. My "state" only required an ethics and law exam (i.e. how to spot corruption, how can you get sued, and can you write English).

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001

Most importantly, I spent days in my cubicle with no human interaction regularly. Should be going back to school for teaching elementary school next year.

P.S. My "state" only required an ethics and law exam (i.e. how to spot corruption, how can you get sued, and can you write English).
:hmm: You say that like it's a bad thing. If so, I do not understand it, this thing you have said.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
:hmm: You say that like it's a bad thing. If so, I do not understand it, this thing you have said.

I'm introverted but for some reason, I like playing the character of a loud mouth when at work or away from home.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I sent a form in and "resigned" so that I could renew it easily in the future and wouldn't have to pay $250/year annually. I would have had to pay a penalty if I just stopped paying.

If you're wondering, I was civil and never worked in a role that required a PE -- left a year after getting licensed. However, I spent over 5 years doing technical and bitch-work for the PEs to know what to expect. Anyway, the work wasn't fulfilling for me, and the amount of risk for the amount of pay didn't seem to add up. Lack of career advancement did factor in but after the first year, I just didn't like what I was doing and lacked motivation. What went on in the industry left a sour taste in my mouth too -- unethical shit, being dicked around by employers, the competency of so-called "experts," etc.

Interesting. It's hard to believe that you got zero raise but are taking on so much more. I wouldn't have gone to the extent of changing careers 180 degrees, but instead look for a new engineering gig. Fortunately for me, I'm 50/50 in the office and in the field so it's quite nice. I don't see the same thing day in and day out. I actually get to see the sun once in a while!

The studying thing sucks after not having to do it for 5 years or so. Every time I sit down to look at stuff, there are literally 30 things that come to mind that I could be doing besides studying. It's the same thing that I did in school - LOL. Study?? Ehh now seems like the perfect time I could fix that heat shield rattling under my car. Or the squeaky bathroom door. Or maybe take out the trash. Or maybe wrap some presents. Hmmmmm maybe I'll do some shopping and get everyone all done. The good news is I've got 10 months left until D-Day.... And I know it'll be worth it when I do pass.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Interesting. It's hard to believe that you got zero raise but are taking on so much more. I wouldn't have gone to the extent of changing careers 180 degrees, but instead look for a new engineering gig. Fortunately for me, I'm 50/50 in the office and in the field so it's quite nice. I don't see the same thing day in and day out. I actually get to see the sun once in a while!

I got a raise, probably averaged 3% per year at my main job, got a 20% bump at a side job over a few years. The money was okay, but what I did wasn't fulfilling to me and I dreaded waking up every morning. I did spend time in the field and enjoyed it in retrospect, but in the moment, I hated being slathered with sunscreen at 90 F in the summer or 0 F in the winter. Driving more than 100 km to job sites alone or with random coworkers twice my age also got tedious.

If you like it and can get licensed, that's pretty good.

.... New problem! Craigslisted a piece of clothing and didn't bother to wipe the dust off before leaving the house. The idea was to slap/brush it off by hand while walking to the meeting place but I didn't want to get the shit all over my clothes so didn't. First question the buyer asked was, what's this stuff on it... The stuff was just regular house dust (i.e. dead skin) and only on one side (the one facing up for years), but I ended up charging 20% less. I'm a lazy piece of shit -- I spent an hour cleaning and wrapping the cords on some electronics I sold though.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A Craigslist genius threatened to take an almost-impossible-to-ship item I was interested in to eBay so that he could get his "asking price"
...without ever asking!

Ugh. I asked several questions and he'd either answer something else, ignore the important ones, or reply unintelligibly. For example:
Me said:
Hello. Does the [device] have the original controllers? What about the remote control? Also, what kind of broken phone do you have? I can repair some phones.
Note: His listing said he was selling this because he broke his phone and needed to buy a new one. I thought I might be able to work my services into the deal.
Him said:
[device] is in great nothing on it
*facepalm*
There were many things pictured "on it" that clearly weren't included (looked like a manchild's sealed action figures or something). I guessed that he meant it was in good shape but did not include the things I was asking about.

Him said:
Someone told me to put it on eBay anyway that way I would get what I'm asking for
Me said:
You mentioned an asking price. There was no asking price in the Craigslist ad. What are you asking for it anyway?
Him said:
Either I'll keep it
o_O
To put that in context, I asked him again and he replied:
Him said:
Putting it on ebay
Good luck with shipping that delicate monstrosity and your inevitably-upset buyer, jerk. I've seen it many times.

Last edited: