What first world problem did you have today?

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I'm in the process of learning Spanish... partly for shits and giggles, partly for future usage.

It's a nice language. And once you know Spanish, French is somewhat easy to pick up, maybe even Italian from what I've heard -- I went the other way around, knew some French, helped me understand the structure of Spanish.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's funny here it's usually 1 for English and 2 for French. Depending on where you're calling typically the difference is the way it shows up on the service rep's phone so they can answer in the right language. Also the non bilingual people will just be assigned to the one "skillset".

Best is one time I was dealing with this tech support company, VERY thick Indian accent. told the guy I figured it out and hung up. I called back and picked French hoping I get someone from the US or Canada. Got the same Indian guy, trying to talk in French.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Got pissed off at a video game that had too much filler in the end and it took me too darn long to finish it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's funny here it's usually 1 for English and 2 for French. Depending on where you're calling typically the difference is the way it shows up on the service rep's phone so they can answer in the right language. Also the non bilingual people will just be assigned to the one "skillset".

Best is one time I was dealing with this tech support company, VERY thick Indian accent. told the guy I figured it out and hung up. I called back and picked French hoping I get someone from the US or Canada. Got the same Indian guy, trying to talk in French.

With most decent support numbers you can ask for an english speaker.

For the main company I call, you'd be routed to Australia instead of India for evening calls.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Chances are privacy or not someone knows about it on the network.

no one really cares on the network end (and tbh, I don't even think my boss gives a shit), I just wouldn't want to give the impression to five hundred people randomly walking past my desk that I'm wasting time, when most of my personal internet time is in 30-second bursts of jotting out a post or skimming a news article while waiting on a process to run or a long download on a client server.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
no one really cares on the network end (and tbh, I don't even think my boss gives a shit), I just wouldn't want to give the impression to five hundred people randomly walking past my desk that I'm wasting time, when most of my personal internet time is in 30-second bursts of jotting out a post or skimming a news article while waiting on a process to run or a long download on a client server.

With that much traffic walking around your cube, how do you get anything done?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Trying to get phpmail to work on my blog and forum I just created for the hell of it out of boredom. The host seems to be the problem and I'm ready to move everything to a new host if they don't fix this crap! I spent hours/days making the sites and now new members can't join. For the forum I disabled E-mail verification, but Wordpress needs E-mail. Damn it all! :mad:

wgusler

Nov 13, 2014
Cash flow sucks, profits good- debit to reciveables good -cash in account bad . Something you'll never here as a business major in school; " The bigger the account, the slower they pay."

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a computer in that needs a new drive (dying HDD, replacing with SSD).

Officially, this computer supports 2GB RAM (DDR2) maximum (2 slots only on board), though it was running Win7 64. I'm pondering whether to put the 32-bit or 64-bit version on when installing Windows on to the SSD.

I think that while I trust Asus to get their specs right, there's always a chance it might support 4GB RAM, making the 64-bit version a more viable option. Once again I am puzzled by the tonne of DDR2 memory modules I have spare, unfortunately they're all 1GB modules or less. I remembered that my parents have a spare 2GB module that I haven't put back in their PC yet (I had been testing an intermittent stability issue which I've since resolved).

I go to my parents' home and retrieve the module, come back home and then I can't find my screwdriver. I look in every stupid place I can think of for said screwdriver, because of my occasional tendency to wander around the house with something in my hand, then when I'm distracted, I put the item down... wherever... and forget about it. About fifteen minutes later I discovered the screwdriver underneath the anti-static bag that had the module in from my parents' PC.

The PC boots with 3GB RAM installed. Dammit, if only I had another module so I can be sure it takes 4GB. I have a spare PC sitting in the corner, perhaps that has a 2GB module in that I could have sworn I had.

I tried to open the case, but one screw won't unscrew. I tried to wedge a flat-blade screwdriver between it and the case lid several times, no luck. I then tried wedging that screwdriver between the chassis and the case lid a few times, no luck. My patience was running thin at this point. I then tried wedging from the opposite direction, and with a two screwdriver effort I finally got the case lid off. I then discover that there's only a 1GB module inside.... grr.

I then remembered that my policy is that I'll use the 32-bit version of Windows on a machine that doesn't support >4GB RAM, who cares whether it can support 2 - 4, it really doesn't make any difference. Maybe 45 minutes wasted on a total wild goose chase.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Cash flow sucks, profits good- debit to reciveables good -cash in account bad . Something you'll never here as a business major in school; " The bigger the account, the slower they pay."

Hear.
And yes I have. From both of my accounting professors.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Work I had scheduled to take 2 days only took one, so now I have to amuse myself all day, with nothing to do. =(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Clue was the last viewed film on my Netflix account. The preview screen was zoomed in on Yvettes giant rack.
Female students in the library did not appreciate it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
With that much traffic walking around your cube, how do you get anything done?

the way it's going to be after the remodel, desks are going too be in groups of 6 (3 desks on each side with people facing back to back, and a half-wall between each work station) and aisles on each side where people will be walking past all day since our section will be close to the door.

currently we're in groups of 4, with two cubicles bordering a wall and two cubicles bordering the aisle.

at least I secured a middle desk for myself, but it's a downgrade from my current cube which has a wall on one side and a 75% empty desk on the other (my boss sits there, but he's offsite more often than not)

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Found out in another thread that Surge is back... went to the convenience store inside our building to find they're not selling it (yet). Now I have to wait to buy over priced sugar water.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Took profits on a position that I should have held longer.

Totally did that... twice in the past month. Get the feeling it's going to be the other way around soon: didn't take profits, shouldn't have held longer.