What exactly makes someone a lowballer?

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Is there a specific offer percentage that would make someone a lowballer or is it just what the seller thinks is too low? If I was selling hardware for $100 obo and received an offer of $70 on it, I wouldn't really consider that a lowballer but too low for me to sell. On the otherhand, if someone offered $60 I would probably call them a lowballer. To me it depends on many factors, but to others its specifically defined. I've had a few friends tell me that a lowballer is someone who offers 50% of the asking price or less. What are your views on this?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i think it depends on your asking price, too. if you're asking for too much, any offer may seem like a lowball.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
pretty obvious i guess: where the buyer knows he's getting a bargain at a price he offers, and hopes the seller doesnt know that it is an unreasonably low price..

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if it is OBO , then i fail to see how there can be a lowball offer

if the price is set and someone offers something less and in the sellers opinion it is a lowball, then it is a lowball

luckily the AT FS/T doesn't allow OBO, so it isn't too much of a problem

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
I think it depends.

I'll say this, it really twists my nipples when someone puts OBO and gets upset when you offer lower then the asking price. Now that's RIDICULOUS.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
if it is OBO , then i fail to see how there can be a lowball offer

if the price is set and someone offers something less and in the sellers opinion it is a lowball, then it is a lowball

luckily the AT FS/T doesn't allow OBO, so it isn't too much of a problem

How long has this been going on? I used to post w/ OBO all the time.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
I think it depends.

I'll say this, it really twists my nipples when someone puts OBO and gets upset when you offer lower then the asking price. Now that's RIDICULOUS.

Some people think that OBO is when the offer is higher than the asking price. I've always thought of it the other way...

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
It's more about the attitude for me - eg: PMs that say hay how bout $30 for teh radinon??

- M4H

But if you wanted $50 for the radeon and I asked politely, "If you will accept $30 for the radeon, I will paypal you confirmed funds asap"... would that make a difference?