What Exactly is Romney's 59 Point Plan?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Its the same Cain 999 plan minus the middle 9, and then subtracting 4 from the first 9. Thus 59. Thats all.

You sould see his plan for world domination. Involves a red button. Thats it.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I can't find it anywhere! I want to be able to see what his 59 points are and it is no where to be found. I googled "Romney 59 point plan" and it takes me to Romney's site with absolutely no mention of this plan, and a bunch of angry liberal blogs bashing the plan, but lacking any details of what it actually is. What are these 59 points?!?!? This plan is so ambiguously boring that it seems to not even exist. First person to track down those 59 points gets a special reward.

Mostly toady to the far right.What else coud it be?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What I've seen so far is a whole lot of obfuscation, misdirection, duplicity, doublespeak, snake oil sales pitches and an expert display of skillful 3 card monte hand jive in Romney's Plan, just as I saw in any of the plans the Repub candidates offered up with pride, fanfare and a backward glancing *wink-wink* to their super rich benefactors.

And it really doesn't matter what each Repub candidate's economic plan sounds like, looks like or smells like. You throw each one into a separate pot, render each one down to its essence, and they all come out tasting exactly the same: A stinking witch's brew that miraculously makes the very rich even richer still while it simultaneously makes the middle class shrink and shrink some more and finally disappear into the ranks of the poor.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Most of Romney's 59 points aren't pro-market. Spending shouldn't be anywhere close to 20% of GDP especially since the government is a large factor of GDP.

No mention of tightening credit anywhere. No mention of removing U.S. trade barriers. No mention of cutting corporate subsidies. No mention of repealing SOx. No mention of reforming medicare part D including no mention of patent reduction.

EDIT: I see where is mentions repealing SOx, but it doesn't want to repeal it completely.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Romney doesn't even have a third of a majority of the required delegates yet. He's going to be in for a big shock when Dr. Paul walks away with the nomination.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002

I took a brief look at the full plan...found one interesting point but most of it is focused on comparing Obama and how Obama is bad.

Politicians should focus on telling the people about what they'll do to fix things and not on how the current politicians suck as it really just hides the fact that the candidate might be just the same...but hey whatever it takes to win.

The 'interesting' point is how employment (jobless) data stops at 2009 but most other charts do not. Obfuscating the truth?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I love '5% cut to non-security discretionary spending'.

FBI, down 1/20 of its budget! CDC, down 1/20 of its budget! 1 of 20 students lose aid! Department of Energy 1/20 budget cut! Smithsonian Institution cut 1/20!

On and on. That's a terrible way to do the budget.

If you had to cut your family budget by 5% would you slash everything equally.

find insurance coverage that is 5% less
Find food bills that are 5% less
Find fuel that is 5% less
Cut every utility 5%.
Pay 5% less for housing.

No - what one does in a pinch is to look at what is not needed and eliminate those items first. That may get you past the 5% marks easily.

Example
Eating out 1 day a week less will save 20% of that budget is you do it every day
If one eats out 1 time a week; then stopping it one week a month still saves you 20% of that budget.

Cable - You can not cut back the overall bill; but you can cut off a premium package to get to the 5% or more off that bill.

Power - You can not cut back the overall bill; but you can remove one active light bulb per room to get to the 5% or more off that bill. TV - shut down an hour early and read a book. That cuts the TV power down 10%. Adjust the thermostat 2% and wear a sweater inside.

It is the little things that can easily save 5-10% without any pain - maybe inconvenience.

It is the next 10-25% that one has to dig to reduce the actual impact.

That is true for a family budget or government budget

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
Romney 59 point plan.

1). Do everything Obama did
2). Which is everything Bush did
3). Which is everything Clinton did
4). Which is everything Bush did
5). Which is everything Reagan did
59). Listen to the guys from Goldman Sachs and the Rothchilds stuffing cash in your pocket.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
romney 59 point plan.

1). Do everything obama did
2). Which is everything bush did
3). Which is everything clinton did
4). Which is everything bush did
5). Which is everything reagan did
59). Listen to the guys from goldman sachs and the rothchilds stuffing cash in your pocket.
lol +1

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Can't say I agree with his plan. He wants to punish China for currency manipulation, then he should punish Ben Bernanke for doing the same. Cut regulation? How about enforce existing regulation, mainly the one SEC is supposed to be doing but isn't.

Then he goes on pandering to foreigners with work visas. More foreigners isn't the solution for our unemployment problem. Seems like typical republican trickle-down, big-business drivel.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Step 1) Tell Conservatives what they want to hear, get Republican nomination
Step 2) Tell Moderates what what THEY want to hear after getting nominated
Step 3) Spend a billion dollars on obnoxious Obama attack ads
Step 4) Get my Super PAC's to spend ANOTHER billion dollars on obnoxious Obama attack ads
Step 5) Get elected president
Steps 6 through 58) ...
Step 59) Profit!

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I took a brief look at the full plan...found one interesting point but most of it is focused on comparing Obama and how Obama is bad.

Politicians should focus on telling the people about what they'll do to fix things and not on how the current politicians suck as it really just hides the fact that the candidate might be just the same...but hey whatever it takes to win.

The 'interesting' point is how employment (jobless) data stops at 2009 but most other charts do not. Obfuscating the truth?

Like any other plan there are good and bad points. I'd never seen the plan before, i just searched it out because TalonStrike offered a reward for the first person to track it down.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
^This^ is an example of what happens when a partisan who is wholly unfamiliar with finance gets hold of info and runs with it..

They make a complete mess of it.

Obama's recent budget proposed a cut in discretionary spending of "8.7% of GDP in 2011 to 5% in 2022". This is a much larger cut than you are moaning about. http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...ama+Releases+Proposed+Fiscal+Year+2013+Budget

The current years cut in discretionary spending is close to 5%, it's 4.2% ($1.319 trillion down to $1.264 trillion). http://useconomy.about.com/od/usfederalbudget/p/Discretionary.htm

Finally, it's highly unlikely any 5% cut would be an across-the-board 5% cut to each line item. That's silly.

Fern

Fasinating post. You ever considered writing for Mittney Rombot?

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Somewhere in those 59 points should be "come up with catchy slogans that really don't mean much, but sound like they do", like "no child left behind" and "thousand points of light".

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Somewhere in those 59 points should be "come up with catchy slogans that really don't mean much, but sound like they do", like "no child left behind" and "thousand points of light".

I got it! "No 59 points of child lights left behind".

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I think that we should all go on an "equal funding" standpoint where none of your own "hard earned cash" goes to the other end of the country to finance some bridge, roadway or school!

Waitaminute.... But wouldn't that mean that 3/4 of the red states would be left out to dry?

I mean, that is just not FAIR! We all have the right to vote and 3/4 of us should have the right to not only spend other peoples money, but complain about it as well!!!!!!

Mitt's 59 sounds nice, but a bullet-pointed list is only as strong as the information backing it up and sponsors supporting it. If we want to truly reduce spending, we need to start with things like "golden parachutes", full salary pension plans for 6 figure salaried government employees, and private bastardization of programs like medical care (insurance taking 25 cents on the dollar simply for shuffling the money around).

We need to stop making broad brush statements, because all that does is give us cops that earn less than garbage men and teachers that wish they earned THAT much.

Scrolling back to budget cuts. The hardest thing comes to this:

What happens when you already have basic cable? What happens when you have the thermostat at 55 when you are sleeping at night? What happens when you clip coupons, eat out only once a month and clothe your kids in the latest in "irregular" clothing? That 5% starts getting hard to trim?

On another thread, what happens if you are a frugal individual that has put everything into savings, roth, and equity in your home. Now you get a triple whammie, housing prices get slammed when an artificially induced bubble pops, and you end up owing more than you have paid on your house. You get laid off, cannot afford insurance, but then get a suspected cancer lump in your breast/groin/throat. Worse yet, it happens to your kid!

Your savings is now gone. This has also happened to a lesser extent with our laws punishing people who are NOT in debt. People who save are expected to pay more for everything. The people who save, but have not saved enough to lobby the government are the ones that are now bearing the yoke of fiscal responsibility and are slowly disappearing under the strain. We need to re-asses our situation and stop all this crap talk about "lowering taxes". Once we pay off our debts, and stop paying our "creditors" interest on it, we can start talking about reducing taxes WITHOUT having to cut our programs.

We need to stop beating the popular drum and actually do something that works.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
haha very funny. That's the same kind of stuff on the angry liberal blogs. Is the liberal media trying to hide his 59 point plan because they know it is exactly what this economy needs? This plan is no where to be found. Seriously, where is it?

lmao x 100