What exactly does this mean? Car question

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
I was looking at some used nissan maximas and came across this dealership. The prices are great on the cars, and the cars looked pretty good too and then i ran across this little message.

2001 Nissan Maxima GXE, auto, cd player, alloy wheels, power seat, excellent condition. We Carefully select vehicles. These vehicles are late model low mileage without any power-train or major defect. It is an investment in time and money when we select a vehicle for restoration. Exceptional body & paint work has been done in to these vehicles. They all have functional airbags & seatbelts. We welcome all questions and we are sensitive to all concerns. This vehicle carries salvage title.

Does this mean that the car was wrecked and that they restored it? Also, should I steer clear from this place.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
This is a rather vague statement that is open to a wide variety of interpretations.

I would certainly assume that the vehicles have been in collisions.

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
Ask them how extensive the damage was when it was wrecked since they are sensitive to all your concerns.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
well, you can ask the history on the car, and if they won't tell you, or they flat out tell you something that sounds too perfect, then don't buy it or just get a carfax report (oftentimes the dealer will pay for one (and only one) on any car in their lot.

Also, you'd be smart to take it to a trusted mechanic for a second opinion. Often they will check out a car for about 20-30 dollars. They know what to look for more than most do. You'd be better off paying 20 bucks than being stuck with a car payment on a car that needs repairs every other week.

You also have to realize that walking away is a good option. If you aren't sure, then keep looking until you are.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
ok I think i'll have the car checked out first, and I'll also ask for car history.

Carfax.com

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/general_check.cfm?partner=LOK_6

Don't make a $10,000 mistake!
Order a CARFAX Vehicle History Report ...your best protection against buying a used car with costly, hidden problems. CARFAX searches its nationwide database and provides a detailed report in seconds. Here's what CARFAX checks:

Problem Check
Major Accident?
Salvage Auction?
Fire Damage?
Stolen?

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
The key phrase there is "Salvage title" - this is about the WORST thing that can happen to a car. Typically it means that someone's insurance company wrote the car off at a total loss, and then some 3rd party decided to buy it for cheap, fix it, and resell it.

The car MIGHT be ok but MIGHT have major problems, now, or 1-3 years down the road. One thing is certain, a vehicle with a salvage title is worth SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than a vehicle with a clean title, and is much harder to sell. Even if *you* think the car is ok now, when you go to sell it years from now, that title will still be with the car and it will still scare away many buyers.

The ONLY time it is worth buying a salvage title car is when you are getting an INCREDIBLE deal on it, and usually the only way that happens is if you buy it before someone has fixed it up.