What Exactly Did Obama Win?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Lets be honest here...what did Obama win here? A war in Iraq, a stock market crisis, a year with 2.1T in debt added, Massive trade and fiscal deficits...he doesn't have a whole lot to work with.
It will be interesting to see what parts of his plan he will NOT push; the same question he dodged in the first debate.

I think tax changes are a given (up on >250k), healthcare reform has to be put on the back burner, energy independence will not be an issue with lower gas prices, Iraq war is a quagmire and he could really screw it up if not done right. Maybe tax incentives for companies creating jobs in the US and more tax for those who do not.

Should be interesting.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Stunt
Lets be honest here...what did Obama win here? A war in Iraq, a stock market crisis, a year with 2.1T in debt added, Massive trade and fiscal deficits...he doesn't have a whole lot to work with.

It will be interesting to see what parts of his plan he will NOT push; the same question he dodged in the first debate.

I think tax changes are a given (up on >250k), healthcare reform has to be put on the back burner, energy independence will not be an issue with lower gas prices, Iraq war is a quagmire and he could really screw it up if not done right. Maybe tax incentives for companies creating jobs in the US and more tax for those who do not.

Should be interesting.

Topic Title: What Exactly Did Obama Win?
Topic Summary: What will his top priorities be?

Hopefully cut off communications from Canadians.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
He inherited problems like all presidents do. But he inherited a congress favorable to him. Now it will be interesting to see if he works on legitimate issues or helps his buddies in congress consolidate power like Bush did with the Repubs.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
he won't be able to keep all of the promises he made during the campaign (not surprisingly), however he has said by the end of his term we will see "progress" on health care, education, tax relief and foreign policy by the end of his first term. He guarantees that we will see progress.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I can't wait to see Obama announce he will not withdraw from Iraq (in any manner differing from Bush's reducing troop levels as areas become safe), and the media glorify him for his wise decisions. When Iraq becomes a stable democracy, the media will give Obama all the praise and credit, completely ignoring the post-surge successes from 2006-2008 (and all of Obama's criticisms of the war and pledges to immediately withdraw).

It will be the exact opposite of their portrayal of the war in 2004-5 (e.g. a war Clinton and all of the congressional democrats were in favor of while Clinton was in office and at the beginning of Bush's term, but magically changed their positions when Bush was getting the credit for actually getting the job done).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
I can't wait to see Obama announce he will not withdraw from Iraq (in any manner differing from Bush's reducing troop levels as areas become safe), and the media glorify him for his wise decisions. When Iraq becomes a stable democracy, the media will give

Obama all the praise and credit, completely ignoring the post-surge successes from 2006-2008.

Ummm, you must be new here.

Everyone knows nobody was home is the reason for the surge success.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I can't wait to see Obama announce he will not withdraw from Iraq (in any manner differing from Bush's reducing troop levels as areas become safe), and the media glorify him for his wise decisions. When Iraq becomes a stable democracy, the media will give

Obama all the praise and credit, completely ignoring the post-surge successes from 2006-2008.

Please elaborate, I don't understand what you mean by this.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Please elaborate, I don't understand what you mean by this.

Its the affect from BDS :) sometimes dmcowen makes good points.. sometimes.. he just rambles on :)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Obama does have the American people on his side though. He has an incredibly powerful mandate and if he governs wisely the American public will back him overwhelmingly.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
"It's the economy, stupid."

Combined with an even-keel, calm attitude that stayed above the political fray in many ways.

Edit: And the fact that he's black didn't hurt.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
He will make some good things happen in the short-term, but at the expense of very negative long-term effects. It's little wonder that people who can't see past the end of their nose voted for the person standing right in front of them.