What exactly can and cant i put in my carryon bag?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I really really dont want to have to check in a bag because of my time schedule for when im arriving somewhere when i fly next week. Is there a list of things i can and cannot bring with me? Like, i heard no aerosol cans... is that cuz the xray machine cant look through the metal? so would normal bottles be ok? i can just buy shampoo,soap, etc when i get there i guess. But seriously... just some clothes and a magazine or two... and a toothbrush might be all i'll take.. can i even take that? Deoderant, colgone? Am i gonna have to buy all this stuff at my destination? thx :)

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
dont bring anything that contains or is made out of metal, just buy that stuff over when you get there..

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Er. You can carry lots of stuff except for items that could be dangerious and used as a weapon (think creatively). You can't bring shavers/razors, knives, nail clippers, etc. YOu can bring all the normal stuff, bottles and such. I think LEAVING the U.S. there is not too much security but when you want to get into the U.S. they do hand searches through the hand bags and ask you if you are carrying certain items. I got lucky, I almsot got stuck out of the country. Whew.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
so all my bottles should be fine? i dont have any metal cans or anything... i'll buy a razor and shaving cream where im at.. im tryin to think of what else i'll be bringing :( grr.. stupid terrorists... ruin it all

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Nothing aerosol, no nail clippers, scissors, razors, box cutters, cleavers, nail or wood files, letter openers, knives of any kind or anything that might be considered a weapon. They probably won't let you bring anything glass either.

Stuff like soap, shampoo, deodorant (the stick/roll-on kind), toothpaste, toothbrush, electric razor, cologne, lotion - regular toiletries - are okay. They're just looking for anything that would make a convenient weapon, including aerosols, which I assume are a problem because they can be explosive and a fire hazard.

I was watching the news and they were showing what kinds of things were confiscated at Dulles; they seriously had big huge meat cleavers and steak knives, big massive scissors - who the heck travels with that stuff? These weren't new things either, they looked like they'd been used, so they weren't gifts or anything.

johndoe52

Aug 12, 2001
they seriously won't let people take on razors? If so i hope this keeps up. Security should always be this tight and hopefully in the future it will be.