What equipment is in your home gym? (2017 edition)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I do mainly calisthenics & cardio at home. For diet, I like IIFYM. With IIFYM, a lot of people skip cardio. However, I have a stomach problem with digestion & basically have to self-regulate my gut; I've found splitting up my cardio to be working pretty well lately, so I'm mixing it up with a treadmill, exercise bike, etc. I've found that calisthenics works great for light aesthetic bodybuilding (get ripped yeaaaaaaah!) without having to go to an actual gym or lift weights. I think I'm still a couple years away from perfecting my ideal workout, so I'm still trying out different workouts & equipment from time to time. This is what I'm currently using:

1. Carpeted open floor space: This is a spare bedroom where I do calisthenics. Pushups, squats, crunches, etc. I also have my VR gear setup in here & store my spinner bike, dip bar, and pullup bar in this room.

2. Pull-up bar: Just one of those cheap doorframe models, works great. I did see a cool fold-up doorframe model recently that you can throw in your bag for traveling; I'm on the road more recently with work, although I'm usually not gone for more than a week, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The one I have now isn't a fancy multi-grip model either, but it was cheap (under $30) & solid:

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/

3. Dip station: I got this on an Amazon sale recently for like thirty bucks shipped. It's kind of crappy (extremely uneven & the nuts & bolts tend to slice your skin open if you're not careful when using barefoot...I recommend wearing shoes!) but it does the job. For the current $90 price, I would consider a different brand. I've been wanting a dip station for ages & haven't really had the room available until recently. It's nice because I was just using a chair before & this lets you do more stuff with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Stand-3000-Pound-Dip/dp/B00EPKRUGS/

4. Treadmill: I traded my elliptical & manual stepper to my brother for his inclining treadmill recently just to shake things up. It folds up, so I just keep it in my living room so I can watch TV while walking. The nice thing about this is that you can get some exercise in even on the days when your motivation & energy are low, because unlike an exercise bike or elliptical machine, you don't have to force yourself to go...it makes you respond to the moving platform, so it's fairly easy to use consistently even if you're tired & don't feel like working out. Plenty of stuff to binge-watch on Netflix to keep you entertained while walking or running to make the time go by faster.

5. Indo Board: This is like a little surfboard on a roller. Pretty pricey ($180); you can build your own for a lot cheaper fairly easily, if you're handy. I opted for pre-made since it looked pretty strong & durable OOTB. I've never done skateboarding or surfing, so balancing was a new thing for me. I've had it about a year or so now & not only have mastered regular rolling, but also have a few tricks down as well. I used to use it whenever I was watching TV, although the treadmill has replaced that, but I still use it for a few minutes every day just to play with. Also useful for planking & doing wobbly pushups, haha. Review here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/picked-up-an-indo-board.2473014/

6. VirZoom VR exercise bike: This is a fold-up spinner bike, not much in the way of resistance, but fun for cycling indoors. It connects to a virtual reality (VR) system (i.e. Playstation or PC with a Vive or Oculus VR headset), which basically lets you play video games in 360 degrees, which is super awesome. The current crop of games are pretty basic, but the immersion makes it way fun...you can cycle an F1 race car or a tank, for example. I snagged it on their kickstarter for half off, but the retail price is $400, plus you need a relatively expensive VR system to hook it into. So it's not really all that different from buying a really expensive bike; the Peloton Cycle goes for two grand by itself, so if you'd rather play video games than do studio-style classes, it's not a bad investment. I really like mine a lot, just hoping they get some more (and better) games! They also have an adapter coming out later this year for a hundred bucks that lets you adapt your existing exercise bike to the system; I think that's great because a things like the fan-blade metal bikes give you waaaaaaaay more resistance than these little portable spinners do. Anyway, review of the Virzoom is here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/virzoom-virtual-reality-exercise-bike-review.2480499/

7. HTC Vive: This is a PC-based VR system. Extremely expensive ($800), plus requires a high-end gaming PC ($800+). The Oculus Rift is like half the price right now, FYI. Anyway, I originally ordered this for playing VR video games & it's turned into more of an exercise system than a gaming system for me. I use this with the Virzoom bike, but also for doing cardio. It has cameras that track your movement around the room, so you can jump, dodge, squat, and walk around with your movements mimic'd in the game. There are a handful of games that actually make you sweat like a pig...AudioShield, where you punch flying musical notes to whatever songs you want, HoloPoint, where you shoot a bow & arrow at targets that shoot back at you & requires you to dodge their bullets, Rise of the Jumbotron, where you shoot evil robots & have to hide behind barriers (oh man, that killed my thighs for days, I've never had anything murder my upper legs as bad as this game did at first lol), etc. This is basically the most fun way to exercise I've ever used. I am very curious to see where they go in the future with virtual reality exercise systems, as the immersion can make you forget you're doing exercise and just have fun while working up a sweat & raising your heartrate.

7. Hand Gripper: One of my buddies has an insane, bone-crushing handshake; he told me his secret was that he kept a hand gripper in his car & would use it while waiting at stoplights. I switched it up & started using it in my right hand for my morning commute & my left hand for my evening commute. I have pretty insane finger strength now compared to where I started. I'm currently using a $12 Gripmaster, which lets you do individual fingers, lower palm, or all of the fingers at once. Nice investment if you have a car commute or sit on a bus or train and have time to work your fingers mindlessly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GCBL4/

Other thoughts:

Like the gripper, I like to look for little pockets of time to take advantage of to try new exercises. For example, I've rolled my ankle twice in the past year, so I looked up some tricks for increasing ankle strength. One trick I found was standing on one foot for minutes at a time; someone on reddit suggested doing it while you were flossing & brushing your teeth, so I do that in the morning & evening now and have improved my balance a bit as well (they recommended starting out with one foot, then adding a folded-up towel underneath to make it more wobbly to increase difficulty, then doing it with your eyes closed...I haven't nearly mastered the eyes closed one lol). Dunno what the actual scientific results are, but I'm getting better at it at any rate, haha.

I used to have a cheap DDR pad that I used for DDR games, then switched to Stepmania & Crypt of the Necromancer for PC, although my rhythm is awful & I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it. They make a really nice metal pad that they sell online that is a lot more stable & durable that I'd like to pick up eventually when I move into a place that has more room available. I really like the idea of combining video games with exercise because anything you can do to (1) motivate yourself to actually get started every day, and (2) distract yourself from the "work" of working out is awesome in my book!

Another interesting piece of gaming exercise equipment I've had my eye on is the Stealth Core Trainer, which a Kickstarter project I missed (I say missed because the Early Bird price was $99 & it's $300 retail now). It's kind of like the Indo Board, except for rolling around in the planking position. I use my Indo board like this sometimes & it really kills your abs. Video here:

https://stealthbodyfitness.com/

I've actually used the game on my Indo Board using the spiked ball instead of the tube roller & it works just fine, although it's not very comfortable since the board is made out of hard wood & has a grippy surface. But for a $300 savings using equipment I already have, eh...

I think the one piece of cardio equipment I wish I had was a Stairmaster, but those are like six grand & require a pretty big amount of space. But they do a good job kicking your rear & working your legs & calves especially.

How about you, what do you have at home?

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Three barbells and 8 dumbbells, loads of weights, a bench/squat rack, a bench, a pull up rack and a dip stand.

Pretty much never use any of it since the kids grew up since the gym is 24/7 and nearby.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
5. Indo Board: This is like a little surfboard on a roller. Pretty pricey ($180); you can build your own for a lot cheaper fairly easily, if you're handy. I opted for pre-made since it looked pretty strong & durable OOTB. I've never done skateboarding or surfing, so balancing was a new thing for me. I've had it about a year or so now & not only have mastered regular rolling, but also have a few tricks down as well. I used to use it whenever I was watching TV, although the treadmill has replaced that, but I still use it for a few minutes every day just to play with. Also useful for planking & doing wobbly pushups, haha. Review here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/picked-up-an-indo-board.2473014/

That looks pretty cool. Seems like it would help with snowboarding (my winter passion).

I've thought about turning my basement into a small gym, but I just use the one at work. If my situation changes, I'll check back on this thread. Looking forward to reading the responses.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
1. NordicTrack treadmill
2. P90X type pull up bar
3. Dumbbell weight bench
4. Rack of dumbbells
2 x 3lbs
2 x 5lbs
2 x 10lbs
2 x 15lbs
2 x 20lbs
2 x 25lbs
2 x 30lbs
5. Basketball, football, baseball/glove, frisbee
6. Outdoors

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
That looks pretty cool. Seems like it would help with snowboarding (my winter passion).

I've thought about turning my basement into a small gym, but I just use the one at work. If my situation changes, I'll check back on this thread. Looking forward to reading the responses.

I've only ever used a plastic snowboard from like, Walmart, but I bet I'd be better at it after having used the Indo Board for a year! I'm not quite as brave as the kid in the video below is, but I've got a few tricks down so far. I usually just goof off with it for a few minutes a day when watching TV or whatever. Simple design, but there are a million tricks you can do with it...I just barely mastered a hang five, where I can go all the way to the lip of the board without having the board touch the ground, hehe. Lots of content on their Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/indoboard/videos

This kid is crazy, he does backflips & other nutty stuff: (don't be fooled, even doing a squat on an Indo is VERY hard!!)

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
This is a picture from my old house and I have a slightly different setup now, but similar.

edit: picture killed by photobucket

Squat Rack
Olympic Lifting Platform
American Barbell Training Bar (20kg)
390 lb of bumper plates
Various Rogue resistance bands
Weight vest (up to 60lb load)
Abmat

For cardio I'll either run or I'll take my Fuji road bike out and ride up Highway 1 as far as I want to go.

My gym is only about five minutes away and we have just about anything else I could want there.

Last edited:

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Titan Fitness T-3 folding rack
Tractor Supply horsemats for gym flooring
CAP barbell
FringeSport bumper plates
50lb Kettlebell
40lb dumbbell
Jump Rope
FringeSport 16"x20"x24" plyo box
FringeSport Jump Rope
LifeFitness Treadmill

Always looking to expand, just trying to be conscious of space in garage - would love a rower, addtl KB/DBs, barbell with more whip, prob need more plates shortly. As a whole this meets everything I currently need though.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Olympic barbell (390 lbs of weights that fit)
squat rack
adjustable bench
2 sets of 1" dumbbell handles with about 350 total pounds of weights that fit them
Spirit xt385 treadmill
dip station
dip belt
24" tv mounted in front of the treadmill
Roku
wireless headphones for the tv
dartboard (I use it to count sets sometimes)
dry erase board for tracking workouts

Edit: and for what I wish I had. One of these babies.

81UztOVrJEL._AC_UL320_SR232,320_.jpg

They had one at a gym I used to go to and I got some killer workouts on it. I would completely max that machine out. Highest difficulty level for the longest time it would allow. I always had a lot of sweat to mop off of it when I was finished.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Edit: and for what I wish I had. One of these babies.

81UztOVrJEL._AC_UL320_SR232,320_.jpg

They had one at a gym I used to go to and I got some killer workouts on it. I would completely max that machine out. Highest difficulty level for the longest time it would allow. I always had a lot of sweat to mop off of it when I was finished.

Yeah same, those will kill you lol.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
- Peloton Cycle
- Running shoes
- Dumbells ranging from 3lbs to 45lbs
- P90x, P90x3 and Rushfit fitness programs
- Two homemade pullup bars. One with a band assist

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Free treadmill
Free recumbent bike
Some 10 Lb dumbells
I do yoga at home, but I have cut back on the cardio in favor of resistance machines at the gym and hot yoga in the studio.

devBunny

Sep 12, 2017
One trick I found was standing on one foot for minutes at a time; someone on reddit suggested doing it while you were flossing & brushing your teeth, so I do that in the morning & evening now and have improved my balance a bit as well (they recommended starting out with one foot, then adding a folded-up towel underneath to make it more wobbly to increase difficulty, then doing it with your eyes closed...I haven't nearly mastered the eyes closed one lol). Dunno what the actual scientific results are, but I'm getting better at it at any rate, haha.

I've been doing that while brushing my teeth and it definitely improves balance. Rather than just stand, I tend to do various movements with the free leg, describing circles at different heights, raising it to the front back or sides, "drawing" the edges of a chair or table with my foot. The further and higher you reach with the leg the more of a challenge it is. Variations of the supporting leg are also useful, from a rigid-legged attempt to touch the ceiling with your head to a one-legged half squat.

Another challenge is pivoting on the supporting leg. There are two ways to hold the free leg at right angles to the supporting foot. The easiest is facing forward with respect to the foot on the ground and then, keeping the body in the same alignment, lifting the free leg and swinging it around to the side, effectively opening the legs.

The other way is much harder, I've found, and it's to lift the free leg to the front and hold it there, fixed in relation to the face, while swivelling the entire body to face the side, with respect to the grounded foot. This manoeuvre requires the supporting leg to twist, which is only possible if the leg muscles have the strength and skill to achieve and maintain the position - which they will, with practice.

I haven't tried doing any of this with my eyes closed but I know that I couldn't. I sometimes brush my teeth out in the garden and that dim light is already enough to make balancing difficult.

If anyone finds this balancing game fun then I'd further recommend trying to take a shower standing (alternately) on one foot. As with the pivot when brushing the teeth, facing one way and getting or putting something (eg. the soap) behind you will be a worthy challenge.

Making the brush-and-balance exercising as active as this means that attention on the brushing side may suffer but the time spent brushing the teeth will probably get longer. (It might be a fun way to encourage hasty children to brush their teeth for longer).

On the advice of my dentist, who noted that I was over-brushing and causing the gums to recede, I changed to a toothbrush with the softest bristles, which, given my supermarket's choice, means using a child's toothbrush. The quality of brushing is still sufficient same but it's without the damage. Balancing games aside, for anyone whose brushing tends to be on the thorough to "and then some" side, it's worth considering dropping down the bristle-hardness scale.

All the best. :)

Ferrari355

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
barbell with 300lb of weights, squat/bench rack with pull up bar, bench and 53lb kettlebell

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I use mostly outside gyms for weight lifting though I do have a pull up bar I put on a door frame. I also have a yoga mat and some blocks, as well as a curling bar with about 200lbs of weight I got when I was 16 (over 30 years ago) There is so much you can do with simple body weight calisthenics that having a home gym with lots of items doesn't pay off for me. Though I have easy access to a variety of gyms which is key. As long as there are lots of gyms around me, that drives the cost down.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
70lb powerblocks
Nordictrac folding TM
Total Gym
CycleOps Super Mag pro with my old road bike mounted to it. Don't use it anymore.

And the king of cardio equipment- Concept 2 erg (rower).

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
2 x 10KG dumbbells (don't really use these anymore)
2 x 15KG dumbbells
2 x 20KG dumbbells
2 x 25KG dumbbells
1 x 16KG kettlebell
One skipping rope
Pair of running shoes
Dumbbell bench

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Bought a crapload of big ol rusty weights / bars / dumbbells. Sanded / oiled them up. Use a cheap bench / squat thing I got from the same people for at home work. Having olympic bars at home sure is nice. Got a set of 2x 10lb bumpers so my wife can deadlift easily.

Reactions: skyking

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
PowerTech Lever Gym with bench
Hex bar
450lbs of plates
15lb, 30lb, 45lb dumbells
Pull-up bar
Various resistance bands
Peloton Cycle

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
barbell+weights
weight belt+pull&dip station
Thai heavy bag
thai pads
focus mitts
wrestling mats

jane nair

Jan 9, 2018
I don't have lots of equipment in my home.I have a treadmill, exercise bike, 2 barbells of 10kg and 20 kg, 4 set dumbbell of 5kg,7.5kg,10kg,15kg. I'm planning to buy a rowing machine and a weight bench for my home gym. and I think that's enough for my gym.what do you think guys?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't have lots of equipment in my home.I have a treadmill, exercise bike, 2 barbells of 10kg and 20 kg, 4 set dumbbell of 5kg,7.5kg,10kg,15kg. I'm planning to buy a rowing machine and a weight bench for my home gym. and I think that's enough for my gym.what do you think guys?
I am really hoping you will prove me wrong. Because what I think, is that if anyone engages you and makes suggestions, you will start spamming links to whatever health and fitness products you are shilling. All poorly guised as "what do you think of this product for my home gym?" questions.

Again, I hope you prove me wrong, but for now I ain't holding my breath in anticipation.

Reactions: jane nair

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I am really hoping you will prove me wrong. Because what I think, is that if anyone engages you and makes suggestions, you will start spamming links to whatever health and fitness products you are shilling. All poorly guised as "what do you think of this product for my home gym?" questions.

Again, I hope you prove me wrong, but for now I ain't holding my breath in anticipation.

Google image search says the avatar is from a dating site. And was poorly photoshopped into our forum software :D

jane nair

Jan 9, 2018

when I was 8 years old I saw a treadmill in my home because my father was doing gym that time.my younger brother is in 19.He is doing gym for 2 years.he bought those dumbbell ,barbell, bike from last 1 year.he dont want to go gym. becuase he pass very busy day with his study and job.thats why he is planning to make a home gym.i just share this with you guys thats it.i m not spammer.i am not promoting any product and sharing a link.don't take me wrong please.thank you for understanding me.