What email service do you use for personal email?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
shopping address = excite.com
professional address = gmail
personal address = ISP account

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my own domains, but i also have gmail, i rarely use the gmail

i avoid email as much as possible since it sucks due to spam

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
an assortment of gmail, hotmail, and college accounts, all which serve their purpose

Dec 10, 2005
Hotmail for Spam
Gmail for most personal stuff
school email for school stuff and some personal stuff

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: mpitts
I host my own domain with Microsoft Exchange.

I can't believe more of you computer dorks don't do this..

how much do u have to pay for that setup?

Microsoft Action Pack = $299 = licenses for a LOT of MS software, including Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2003.

The MS Action Pack is pure gold for any small business owner.

Are you running your own server?

Yes. The hardware is mostly an old P4 PC with 2GB RAM and a RAID-1 mirror.

Hmm what kind of bandwith do you have for that server?

Why did you choose that route instead of just paying for a domain service? Isn't it cheaper that way (no need to maintain server, etc)

Thanks for answering my questions! :)

My service is 6.0Mb down / 768k up. Multiple static IPs.

I went this route for two reasons:

1. Good practice. Having an Exchange server at the tip of my fingers has helped me become much more experienced and acclimated with Exchange. I am an IT consultant, so this pays dividends when I can go to my clients and propose solutions based around Exchange.

2. I have a Windows Mobile 5.0 phone which can do a wireless Activesync with Exchange 2003 with SP2. This allows me to do direct push email to my phone (similar to Blackberry mail) and wirelessly sync my contacts and calendar. Everything that I do on my phone (T-Mobile MDA aka HTC Wizard) is synced with my Exchange server and Outlook. If I change my schedule, it syncs. If I respond to an email from my phone, it shows as being responded to and the sent item goes into my sent items, etc etc..

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Email from my ISP, use to be pacbell, then sbc, then sbc yahoo, then at&t, but its all the same as yahoo email, except with 2gigs of storage.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Gmail. I use to use the space on my domain, but now I just have it all redirected to gmail. I like the interface.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Juno/NetZero is fairly popular.

You can use them for free if you already have an ISP connection.

Also is valid for AT registration

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
google hosted. I moved all my gmail email manually over to it. heh.

work email: provided by work

personal professional: fastmail

random junk email: alt. fastmail, as it has some excellent filtering capabilities

backup email: yahoo

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
I do primarily use Hotmail, but want to switch it over to Yahoo! Mail because I find the service much better. The only problem is getting the contacts over. Also, I'll need to start a new Yahoo! account because my current one is being used for spam.

Also, gMail is also used and slowly becoming my primary, over Hotmail, which is not good, because as I mentioned, I want to swith to Yahoo! Mail.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
I host my own domain with Microsoft Exchange.

I can't believe more of you computer dorks don't do this..

I've tried this.... I couldn't get Exchange OWA to work .. played around with port forwarding on my router, etc..
Still couldn't accomplish it..

I may give it another try here soon. My previous attempt was in a Vmware server, but I'm sure that should make no difference in anything..

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Email service from my ISP for most things.

Hushmail account was initially setup for online things/spam account but i use that also for some personal things.

Have Gmail but hardly ever use it.