What DVI to HDMI adapter do I need to get

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Friend of mine has a Dell computer with HDMI output (no DVI or Displayport). She is ordering the NEC EA231wmi monitor which has DVI and displayport inputs. I'm assuming it will come with a DVI cable so what adapter do I need to order to connect the Dell HDMI output to the NEC monitor DVI cable? The reason I ask is that I don't want to get the sexes screwed up and order the wrong adapter. I assume this setup would work and is better then using the VGA cable correct?

Any links to known good but reasonably priced adapters?

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Would I lose any functionality by cross breeding the two different technologies?

Also I'm worried about ordering the wrong product as I don't have the PC nor monitor in front of me to look at the sex of the cable connections. Most of the cables I see are designed for HDMI inputs such as for TVs. In this case, I would want a HDMI output to a DVI input which is why I'm concerned about ordering the right sex cable/adapter.

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I use this cable to go HDMI to DVI.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102&p_id=2218&seq=1&format=2

22181.jpg

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Usually Female=device Male=cable; however there are exceptions (Example serial cables) If the part of the cable that caries the signal/current enters the other device/cable it's male.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Usually Female=device Male=cable; however there are exceptions (Example serial cables) If the part of the cable that caries the signal/current enters the other device/cable it's male.

That's a bad rule.

Think pins = penises = male

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
How is that a bad rule?

Exception

Serial
PSU Power input.

Common (All follow the rule)

VGA DSUB
DVI
HDMI
USB
Parallel Port
Coaxial
Din Audio
SPDIF
esata
ethernet
RCA
S-Video
and so on.

Edit: The reason pins (penises) isn't ubiquitous anymore - Think usb, sata, 1394 etc. Pinless connectors where pads meet pads.

Last edited:

geepondy

Jan 19, 2007
Guys I appreciate the responses but again, I'm not losing any functionality by cross-breeding the DVI and HDMI technologies? This is definitely better then using the VGA connection?

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Guys I appreciate the responses but again, I'm not losing any functionality by cross-breeding the DVI and HDMI technologies? This is definitely better then using the VGA connection?

Oh, no you don't lose anything. DVI and HDMI actually use the same signal so there is no conversion happening, just reorganizing the wires basically. It's better than using the VGA.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be some kind of semi-standard supported by PC GPUs and DVI-->HDMI adapters for carrying digital audio through a DVI port. I don't believe this was part of the original DVI spec or else TVs would have been getting SPDIF audio through DVI connectors long ago and HDMI might never have been created.

Basically, many NVIDIA cards that don't have a built-in audio controller will have a SPDIF digital audio input on the graphics card. Pretty much everything since the 8800GT (G92) has had it. I've had cards SPDIF pass-thru and dual DVI output or DVI+VGA output. Normally, DVI wouldn't carry sound. Originally, I thought that it would require me to use the DVI-->HDMI adapter that came with the card, but it works even with a very old Philips-brand adapter that I had picked up from Wal-Mart years before these cards existed. Even the DVI-->HDMI cable that came with my monitor carries audio from the DVI connector on my NVIDIA cards to the HDMI connector on the monitor.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Well, this may also be option: HDMI to DisplayPort cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6011&seq=1&format=2

Though it may not work?

Note: While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing an HDMI signal, DisplayPort and HDMI signals are basically different and not compatible with each other. In order for this cable to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out an HDMI signal through the DisplayPort jack.

I have no experience with DisplayPort, but would certainly prefer this to an HDMI to DVI since you just put it in; no screwing.

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Oh, no you don't lose anything. DVI and HDMI actually use the same signal so there is no conversion happening, just reorganizing the wires basically. It's better than using the VGA.

well he would lose the audio over hdmi, but then again i dont think that nec monitor has speakers.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
well he would lose the audio over hdmi, but then again i dont think that nec monitor has speakers.

Yea I thought about that but yea, the NEC monitor doesn't have speakers, plus I think with Nvidia cards with the audio pass through any HDMI->DVI adapter still carries the audio. With ATI you need the ATI HDMI->DVI adapter.