What does the AT community think of H's recommended list?

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226866

Any thoughts? Personally I wouldn't touch most of the routers on that list.. all those D-Links ect. There's a gigabit router for $29 listed, I can't imagine that having the power to push gigabit speeds to many ports (if even 1).

I bought the Buffalo HP-54G based on the threads here, and found that thread later on but don't regret the decision. I'm under the impression that the best home routers to take a look at today are the Asus Premium V2 and Buffalo HP. For overall stability and performance.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
The top of the line D-link routers are good. Like the DGL-4300 and DGL-4500 or the DIR-655. The others I am not so sure about. The Asus and Buffalo you mentioned are popular due to the ability to flash them with DD-WRT and they are inexpensive. I guess they are stable etc.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Probably over 80% of none commercial Wireless users need Wireless Router to the extent that this would do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16833156038

Of the rest 20%, 18% would be served very well with a Router like the Buffalo.

The remainder need something special and it has to analyzed individually.

Otherwise you do not make a list of most available Bulldozer, racing cars; SUV sedans etc. and put them together without any real analysis or differential evaluation.

A Caterpillar excavation Bulldozer is Not better than a Ferrari (and Vice-Versa), and a Ferrari is Not always better than a SUV.

The list is like the list of all the model of Chrysler For and GM.

It can exist because it cost very little to manufacture these Gizmos otherwise most of them would be gone (just like currently with many models of GM and Chrysler) cause there is NO technical and economical need for such variety of None Standard devices.

---------------------------
Disclaimer.

To make it clear I do not have any connection what so ever with any manufacturer of Computer hardware or any Vendor that sell them.

I buy Computer hardware at retail and I do not gain One Penny from this "Hobby" of dealing with Networking. On contrary, over the years I spent thousands $$ due to this activities.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Build-Your-Own Router?
For those more technically inclined who want the most performance possible without going to a full commercial/business product, you may want to look into the many freely available Linux and BSD based firewall solutions out there. Some of the well known ones include: Smoothwall, Untangle, Endian, IPCop, pfSense and m0n0wall.

Best of the best.