What does .PDF take so long to load?

AirForceElite

Nov 8, 2004
I would expect that Intel Core 2 Duo computer I saw at BestBuy would at least open up pdf files quickly. I mean I dont expect C2D system to do wonders like encode a video while burning 2 DVD's and watching HD video at the same time...but I was expecting it to handle PDF quickly. I am using AMD 64 3200+ @2.0GHz 1GB PC3200 RAM to type this, and on this machine PDF files open very slowly...so why is Intel Core 2 Duo system which came out 3 years later after I bought this AMD still struggles with PDF files? What is so magical about them and why does it own 99.9% of home computers?

stogez

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2006
You cannot judge performance based on a computer you saw at a retail store. Who know what else was running on that thing.
What pdf file were you trying to open? Even on your comp, pdf files shouldn't take too long unless they're huge.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
cause you're using bloated adobe software? Foxit FTW. no need to install, whole app is about 2MB and it open up really fast.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
Yeah, Acrobat pro is always less bloated, and Acrobat 6 was before I had converted too :p

Oct 4, 2004
I had given up on Adobe Reader and moved to FoxIT. No installation or setup. Just a lil' exe file to point to. Sure, you lose integration with browsers and it wasn't big on features but it worked.

Adobe Reader 8 made me return to Adobe. It's fast and loads as quick as Word 2003, doesn't cause my browsers (IE/Firefox) to freeze, loads in an instant and is everything it should have been from the start. Give it a try.

(Single core A64, 512MB RAM, XP Pro SP2 here)

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I had given up on Adobe Reader and moved to FoxIT. No installation or setup. Just a lil' exe file to point to. Sure, you lose integration with browsers and it wasn't big on features but it worked.

Adobe Reader 8 made me return to Adobe. It's fast and loads as quick as Word 2003, doesn't cause my browsers (IE/Firefox) to freeze, loads in an instant and is everything it should have been from the start. Give it a try.

(Single core A64, 512MB RAM, XP Pro SP2 here)

really? you say adobe 8 is good? the problems i had with 7 wouldn't stop so i converted to Foxit. but you say adobe 8 is also fast?

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
I dunno what PDFs you guys open, I open eBooks (like this: http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2/ ) with acrobat reader 7.0.9 reasonably fast on a:
AMD 3200+ (32bit! NOT A64), 2x512 DDR400 RAM and XP Pro...

edit: I do however, have acrobat speedlaunch or whatever...it basically preloads adobe on system startup in RAM :thumbsup:

AirForceElite

Nov 8, 2004
Hey guys, i should have mentioned that I know about Foxit and other 3rd party readers.

However the point of this thread is because i was curious as to why it happened

I mean why should a 1MB pdf file take so much time to load.

And I know that i can't compare my own computer to a one i saw in stores, but regardless of that, that computer was Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz with 1GB of DDR2 ram, so don't you guys at least think it should perform better than mine....given the fact it was only like a 3 MB pdf file.

To test it out, why dont you guys load up some random PDF's with size of like 1MB, and post up the results of how many seconds and what is your system spec. (cpu+ram)
I mean it doesnt bother me...i just want to know why the heck it takes that long

Oct 4, 2004
I just opened up a few brochures (Paradigm speakers, Revel Speakers, BMW M-series etc.)
All of them 2-3MB.

A64 2800+, 512MB RAM
Adobe Reader 8.0 (I don't even use the Speedlaunch feature where it loads into memory at startup)
<3secs for the first one.
Next ones were practically instantaneous. Just like using MS Word.

After shutting down all instances of the program and waiting for a minute, ~2secs to open a 2MB PDF.

I found a quick test-file using Google. PDF
Clicking on it in Firefox 2.0.0.3, it took about 5-6 seconds for the Adobe Reader interface to load in the tab. No hourglass!

Edit: I am not sure what the proper answer to your question is. I'm just going to say it took Adobe eight major revisions to get it right. The previous versions of their software sucked donkey genitals.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
Edit: I am not sure what the proper answer to your question is. I'm just going to say it took Adobe Foxit taking away 10% of thier marketshare to get it right. The previous versions of their software sucked donkey genitals.

Fixed.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Adobe 7 was slow as molasses. Adobe 8 is wonderful. Its fast and has a sleek interface.

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
I must say, I've never had a problem with this. And I'm running a 3 GHz P4 Prescott with 2 GBs of RAM (the ram is good, the P4 is not. yay netburst). Even large ebooks take only 3-4 seconds to load. And I'm using adobe reader 7.0. So what's going on?

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Leros
Adobe 7 was slow as molasses. Adobe 8 is wonderful. Its fast and has a sleek interface.

I agree. I've always just had an irrational hatred for PDFs but Adobe Reader 8 is pretty nice to use.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
I just opened up a few brochures (Paradigm speakers, Revel Speakers, BMW M-series etc.)
All of them 2-3MB.

A64 2800+, 512MB RAM
Adobe Reader 8.0 (I don't even use the Speedlaunch feature where it loads into memory at startup)

After shutting down all instances of the program and waiting for a minute, ~2secs to open a 2MB PDF.

Clicking on it in Firefox 2.0.0.3, it took about 5-6 seconds for the Adobe Reader interface to load in the tab. No hourglass!

Edit: I am not sure what the proper answer to your question is. I'm just going to say it took Adobe eight major revisions to get it right. The previous versions of their software sucked donkey genitals.

4400+ w/2GBs of memory 48 instances of SeaMonkey, 4 IE and copying a DVD on the fly while posting this it took 4 seconds to open that w/ AdobeReader 7.0

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
All of them 2-3MB.

A64 2800+, 512MB RAM

4400+ w/2GBs of memory 48 instances of SeaMonkey, 4 IE and copying a DVD on the fly while posting this it took 4 seconds to open that w/ AdobeReader 7.0

2 seconds here.....

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492

2 seconds here.....

snappy P2 350 w/ 192MB of ram there ;):p

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
Originally posted by: bobsmith1492

2 seconds here.....

snappy P2 350 w/ 192MB of ram there ;):p

Ya, 6300@2.8GHz, 2GB RAM here :p Takes a lot to get anywhere it seems... I opened it again just now and it took <1sec though; Acrobat is probably in RAM now.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Depends on what is in the PDF - there can be significant compression and page layout going on to make the file displayable. The PDF file and the Acrobat Reader are built around the PostScript PDL (page description language). I use foxit because it doesn't waste my disk space or my time, and you can make your browser use foxit or other PDF reader to display PDF files - you just have to set it up as a "Helper Program" yourself - but you may have to uninstall Adobe or remove its handle from your "PlugIns" file to keep Acrobat Reader from competing for files.

How many megabytes of disk space and memory space does Adobe 8 use to be as fast as it should have been in the first place?

Unfortunately the Foxits of the world will always be a step behind Acrobat Reader as they can't know what new features Adobe has added until it's out there. So I do have to waste disk space on the Adobe program for some files.

.bh.